New BattleStar Galactica series... - RC Groups
Dec 10, 2003, 02:11 AM
Question gravity.

New BattleStar Galactica series...

I missed the pilot and havnt seen any episodes yet.

Is it just me or is the series going to suck? I mean Boomer's a chick, Starbucks a chick, cylons are chicks, etc... The whole thing's been redone.

I just hope they didnt screw it up THAT bad...

Opinions?
Dec 10, 2003, 02:33 AM
php web app engineer
If you were hoping for a remake that was 100% true to the original series, then you won't like it.

I saw both nights and it was pretty good. I guess they will be making a regular series out of it now?
Dec 10, 2003, 06:08 AM
Out of Time

Re: New BattleStar Galactica series...

Quote:
Originally posted by KMKAZE
I missed the pilot and havnt seen any episodes yet.

Is it just me or is the series going to suck? I mean Boomer's a chick, Starbucks a chick, cylons are chicks, etc... The whole thing's been redone.

I just hope they didnt screw it up THAT bad...

Opinions?
Welcome to the "New" and "Improved" Politically Correct 21st Century!
And what better way to celebrate PCness than to replace a slew of characters, that had already been established as men, with women?

Any bets that they'll work in a gay theme somewhere by the middle of the first season?

Highflight
Dec 10, 2003, 06:29 AM
Two words: It sucks!

The new series is a "re-imagination" of the original. As you've heard or read, some of the changes include a female Starbuck, female Lt. Boomer, and SOME Cylon models look human....

Now I actually have no problem with most of the changes they've made but the script is poorly executed. The acting is wooden, most of the cast seem almost as robotic as the Cylons themselves.

There are NO SCENES of the other Battlestars being destroyed, no scene of the Atlantia (flagship) being destroyed like in the original. There are NO SCENES of Cylon ships attacking the colonies, only nuclear detonations implying that there are Cylons around... SOMEWHERE. In fact I don't think I even saw more than 2 Cylon raiders in the entire Part I.... The space battle scenes (when finally shown) are curiously sterile and antiseptic. As a result, this new version lacks the grand epic feel that made the original a cult classic.

This new version has been dubbed "Galactica 90210" or "Galactica Light" but is actually closer to that terrible "Wing Commander" movie from a few years ago.

Verdict: The script even with it's controversial elements truly had potential, but like in so many TV and movie productions, squandered whatever potential it had. 2 stars out of 5 (2/5)

P.s. The 2-part 4 hour production is suppose to "sell" the idea of a series. Will it sell? Hope not.
Last edited by Megatron; Dec 10, 2003 at 11:01 AM.
Dec 10, 2003, 07:19 AM
Out of Time
2 stars out of 5?
I think you're being way too kind.

Highflight
Dec 10, 2003, 08:06 AM
Suspended Account
It doesnt have Erin Gray. Pass
Dec 10, 2003, 08:09 AM
Mr Mootsie
Quote:
Originally posted by Gman2
It doesnt have Erin Gray. Pass

concur!
Dec 10, 2003, 09:23 AM
Erin gray ya wants, Erin gray ya shall have!

From the internet:
Dec 10, 2003, 09:24 AM
AKA Terry Till
Mootsie agreeing with Gman??

Hey look.....4 horsemen...and there's Jesus coming down on a cloud!

A gambling, brawling cigar smoking female Starbuck just doesn't cut it.

For us It's Erin Gray, for my wife it's Richard Hatch!
Terry
Dec 10, 2003, 09:59 AM
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I actually liked this show.

I was a big fan of the original, so I wasn't sure what to expect when heard about this re-make, but I was pleasantly suprised. Sure, there were a few parts that were too "90210" for me, but overall I thought it was nicly done.

I particularly liked the space battle scenes where they would would go between very long shots, zoom in tighter on a ship, then zoom back out again...gave a real sence of scale and size IMHO.

I also liked the fact that the Cylon ship was a pilotless intelligent machine...it always buged me in the original that it took 3 Cylons to fly a ship....why not just make the ship a Cylon itself, then there's no ned for a pilot.

I don't have a problem switching some of the characters to women, particularly Boomer....Hubba-Hubba . I Didn't care for Starbuck though.

There were quite a few story points I would have changed given the chance, but overall, I'd say it was a good job.
Dec 10, 2003, 11:39 AM
Libertas in Infinitum
Well, I liked it ...

Logan5
Dec 10, 2003, 12:05 PM
php web app engineer
yah I liked it as well. The Blonde cylon chick is hot. I could watch her all night. The space scenes were very good in my opinion. Finally someone getting a clue that you can't actually hear anything in space. The camera shots in the space scenes were good because they show the point of how difficult it is to see things in space, especially when they are far away.
Dec 10, 2003, 12:53 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
I thought they got the physics of space flight/combat pretty good.

Logan5
Dec 10, 2003, 01:12 PM
php web app engineer
yah I thought so as well. Didn't see any huge explosions with a lot of fire, while theoretically possible for a very short time period after the detonation, but highly improbable. There wouldn't be enough oxygen to sustain fire in space for any length of time.
Dec 10, 2003, 02:19 PM
I Liked It.
I agree with the comments regarding space flight. I especially appreciated the use of thrusters to change the orientation/attitude of the spacecraft. I hate it when I see spacecraft rolling and banking like their flying in an atmosphere.

I was in my early twenties when BG came out and didnít watch it much. I remember liking the special effects and hating the characters and stories. These people were so corny I found myself rooting for the Cylons. The new BG isnít nearly as corny and I donít mind some of the characters being changed to female. I also like that Col. Tigh is an insecure lush; cool. He made the tough decision though.

I have a question. Are these two episodes it? Or is more coming. I also understand there might be a series. I hope so. Wonder if Almos will be in the series.