Nov 19, 2012, 07:31 PM
Wicked, tricksy, false!
Thread OP
Discussion

The new Double Horse 9116 Heli Thread

Welcome!

After closing the original thread in respect for a passed member, a dear friend and tutor for every DH9116 owner/beginner we decided to continue here, following his example and try to help everyone as good as we can.

You're a proud new owner of a 9116?

There are some things you should read about your new bird first:It is highly recommended to dial your bird in according to the manual for the best possible performance!

Now you're a proud new owner of a crashed/defective 9116?

Maybe you'll find this useful:If you find no solution to your problem there, feel free to ask questions here!

You may find someting in the old Double horse 9116 Heli Thread, too.

Finally now you're a proud owner of a modded 9116?

You did some mods you want to share?
Useful mods? Crazy mods? Mods that backfired?
Videos?
Show it here!
Let us freeze in amazement and awe or laugh our a** off together!

Having fun is one of the best goals in this hobby!

Home Improvement

Last but not least:
Cheap, multiple verified (means: they REALLY work!) mods to improve your 9116 that everybody is able to do.
Even for a second Tim Taylor!

Direct Drive Tail:
Long lasting, better tail authority, even cheaper than stock.

E-1003 Rotor Head
Gives more cyclic authority, MUCH cheaper and better built than stock, drop in solution. Thanks to Ocoast for compiling.

to be continued....

Al Borland's Mods

A small collection of links to RCG fellows who mod the hell out of their 9116ies.
Serious handiwork, some craftsmanship needed to copy that. No warranty for success given!
You may end with chapter two (crashed/defective bird)!
NOT recommended for Tim Taylor type of guys!

aphex4000's blog
Gygax's blog
Laidback_racer's blog
Mdigiovabc's blog
Rajah235's blog
simz's blog
to be continued....

Happy flying!
-mike-
Last edited by mikefromgermany; Mar 31, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2012, 02:01 AM
Hi Mike

I read through other threads that some people are putting the extreme pro 180b as an upgraded motor into their 9116.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300810716...ht_2513wt_1163

I am not that technical being a newbie but I decided to order one of Ebay as a spare motor and since others have said that its a simple swap and change then I thought why not.

Do you know of anyone who has done this? ....if so is there going to be real improvements in performance?

Cheers
Nov 20, 2012, 04:26 AM
Wicked, tricksy, false!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnewbie
Hi Mike

I read through other threads that some people are putting the extreme pro 180b as an upgraded motor into their 9116.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300810716...ht_2513wt_1163

I am not that technical being a newbie but I decided to order one of Ebay as a spare motor and since others have said that its a simple swap and change then I thought why not.

Do you know of anyone who has done this? ....if so is there going to be real improvements in performance?

Cheers
There have been some tests with this kind. The final result: Better stay with the stock motor. You have to change too much to make this motor running at right RPM (changing/cropping main blades), add a more powerful tail motor, therefore adding weight, reducing flight time and still risking your PCB with it.

For some it's worth the effort ( and money) but I would buy sth else for the money involved.

-mike-
Nov 20, 2012, 06:16 AM
Eugene
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany
There have been some tests with this kind. The final result: Better stay with the stock motor. You have to change too much to make this motor running at right RPM (changing/cropping main blades), add a more powerful tail motor, therefore adding weight, reducing flight time and still risking your PCB with it.

For some it's worth the effort ( and money) but I would buy sth else for the money involved.

-mike-
I aggree, Mick and I have tested all possabilities with upgradeing this heli and we both came to the same conclution of staying with the standard equipment as it's cheap and easy to replace.

If you want to spend your money to get a better heli then I would suggest you either get this MJX-45 or you go for this WASP X3 V
You can easly fly both of these out of the box and even though the X3 V is a 6ch 250 size it has a 3 axis gyro and it is very easy to fly and it is FBL and BL with a belt driven tail and I would recomend both of them for a beginner.
Nov 20, 2012, 07:32 PM

Agree on both points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig
I aggree, Mick and I have tested all possabilities with upgradeing this heli and we both came to the same conclution of staying with the standard equipment as it's cheap and easy to replace.

If you want to spend your money to get a better heli then I would suggest you either get this MJX-45 or you go for this WASP X3 V
You can easly fly both of these out of the box and even though the X3 V is a 6ch 250 size it has a 3 axis gyro and it is very easy to fly and it is FBL and BL with a belt driven tail and I would recomend both of them for a beginner.
One thing you can do to the stock 9116 is lighten it. This reduces the workload on the motors and they last much longer with the reduced power to weight ratio as well as being much more agile and lively.

Also, I bought a Wasp X3V and love it. It will actually hover hands off for short periods, but flying at anything more than a hover is more difficult than the 9116 and you WILL buy replacement parts (especially servos) before you master it as they (servos)are pretty highly stressed on a fbl and if the rotor blades even touch the ground under power you strip gears. I have yet to see anything better in the 250 class at this pricepoint.
Nov 20, 2012, 10:16 PM
Is what I'm doing helping?

Stock 9116 Charger

Drill some holes in the case.
Last edited by Steve_; May 31, 2013 at 09:15 PM.
Nov 20, 2012, 10:20 PM

LiPo Charging Bag for poor folks

Gut an old CD Rom case from an old computer
Last edited by Steve_; May 31, 2013 at 09:16 PM.
Nov 20, 2012, 10:21 PM

Stock Motor Lubrication

Only oil the pinion side.

90% of people use too much.
Last edited by Steve_; May 31, 2013 at 09:16 PM.
Nov 20, 2012, 10:25 PM

Motor Care & Breaking in Brushes

Run your motor at low RPM for a while to seat the brushes
Last edited by Steve_; May 31, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Nov 20, 2012, 10:32 PM

9116 Receiver and ESC Heatsinks

They are fine stock if you run the stock motors.
Last edited by Steve_; May 31, 2013 at 09:18 PM.
Nov 20, 2012, 11:13 PM
Moved
Last edited by Steve_; May 31, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Nov 20, 2012, 11:16 PM
I bought a 9116 several months ago against better judgement. X-heli had it real cheap and got it. Since then been flying 4 Ch F/P Quads etc and doing decent. All smaller stuff so decided to try my S/P 328 and it went well. Then try to fly 9116. It keep going backwards hard. Then checked radio and elevator and Ailerons were reversed. I just thought it was some bad flying, but reset controls. I did get it airborne and flying but needs mucho foward trim. I never had a radio that was setup wrong is this common ?? I fly Quads/V929/L/B V1/V939/U816 pretty good and want to go bigger. I do not have any false expectations about this but would like to fly it some. It was bought as crash dummie anyway. I do not abuse my equipment and just wonder about excess foward trim needed to fly. I need bigger area but was getting feel of heli. I have a few FBL helis but holding off for a little while.
Could ground affect have something to do with foward motion ? My S/P 328 acted similar but not as bad until I got it a few feet up. 9116 is larger and did not have much room and battery was getting weak.
Nov 20, 2012, 11:53 PM

Weigh Main Blades

One of my main blades had more paint and weighed 0.5 grams
more than the other.
Last edited by Steve_; May 31, 2013 at 09:19 PM.
Nov 20, 2012, 11:56 PM
Moved
Last edited by Steve_; May 31, 2013 at 09:19 PM.
Nov 21, 2012, 12:12 AM
Thanks for reply. I have not poped the hood but will do it. Heli seems undamaged and was not flown into anything hard and looks fine. Blades track good and no vibration. Notice servos are nervous but work ok. I really didn't want to go into another long thread. If battey can go foward this should help foward direction. Just want a decent flyer to fly around for sport. Only been flown over bed with foam heli-pad and carpeted room. I have several pending things to do tomorrow and may not get to this till later in week, but would like to get it flying as good as possible.

Quick Reply