dollar tree skywalker - RC Groups
Nov 19, 2012, 04:56 PM
cheapskate extroardinairé
Discussion

dollar tree skywalker

This is my latest foamboard creation: the dollar tree skywalker. I used an armin wing (see experimental airlines's channel for instructions) with polyhedral, and RET control. the airframe cost $4 in foamboard, $2 in hot glue, $3 for the carbon spar, and $1 for the wire pushrods. (all of this was stuff I had laying around, and I expect you have some too if you are into rc) the electronics are pretty cheap too, altogether coming to under $50 including motor, servos, esc, battery, rx. I did a short flight test today (no video, sorry) and it flies pretty well. it's very stable, and can fly fairly slow. It was designed to carry a large payload, and is deliberately tail heavy so you can put lots of batteries and/or a big heavy camera up front. wingspan is 5 feet or 1.52 meters. best of all, it's very easy to build. only took me two evenings to build the airframe and install the electronics. I should have some flight video up soon.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2012, 06:45 PM
here's a video overview of it
dollar tree foam skywalker fpv plane (6 min 50 sec)
Nov 21, 2012, 12:41 AM
looks like rain tomorrow, sorry! i'll try to get video this weekend.
Nov 22, 2012, 04:00 PM
226 views and no one has had anything to say? I feel like a failure now =( should be able to fly it in about an hour, then post some footage tonight
Nov 22, 2012, 07:28 PM
Your are NOT a failure. People are just waiting to see the proof of flight video. Your airplane looks good.
Nov 22, 2012, 11:20 PM
I fly Divinity foam wings for fun and have a ball with them. They cost only a few dollars to make and I fly them like I stole them.

I can see you have put some thought into your model and so I hope it will fly well for you. If you keep at it chances are you will end up with something better than we buy off the shelf one day. I have seen plenty of nice scratch built models.
Nov 23, 2012, 02:51 AM
aaaaand HERE IT IS!
flying the skywobbler (3 min 50 sec)