Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by outkast1779
Fret for your pilot...
Help!

need help...Motor shaft bent.

Hey Guys. I've got a great motor from Little Screamers of whom is out of business. Its for a 120 ducted fan unit. The problem is I've bent the shaft and can't find another one. 8mm x 135mm. Does anyone know of a professional company that can heat and bend this sucker straight??
Last edited by outkast1779; Dec 10, 2012 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Got it taken care of
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
You can buy bulk lengths of 8mm shaft, cut to length and file any flats it might need.

Any machine shop that handles small stuff can straighten a shaft with a dial gauge, a pair of V-blocks, and a small press 9or a dang hammer), tough part is finding someone who will do it for less than a new shaft.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by Piece
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Buy an 8mm drill blank and add flats/grooves as needed. Don't bother with trying to get it straightened; you can have several new shafts for the price of one straightened one.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:58 PM
Fret for your pilot...
Thanks guys. I'll look to purchase a blank but I don't have access to the tools to cut or groove it. Any ideas on a company that does this kind of work?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by Innov8tive
I actually have a couple of those motors here at my office that have burnt windings, but the shaft is in perfect shape. Pop me a PM and we can get something for you.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:46 PM
Fret for your pilot...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innov8tive View Post
I actually have a couple of those motors here at my office that have burnt windings, but the shaft is in perfect shape. Pop me a PM and we can get something for you.
Excellent!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:50 PM
Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
For the long term, consider one of these (or similar) as an invaluable asset: http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-8000-03.../dp/B0000DEZL9
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:53 PM
Fret for your pilot...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi View Post
For the long term, consider one of these (or similar) as an invaluable asset: http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-8000-03.../dp/B0000DEZL9
Yeah, I have one of those. But I need absolute precision. Machine shop precision.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:15 AM
Find More Posts by Piece
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Quote:
Yeah, I have one of those. But I need absolute precision. Machine shop precision.
A Dremel is plenty precise for cutting flats and grooves in shafts. Even a very sloppy job is much finer than you'll ever notice.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:14 PM
Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
I would feel sketchy about cutting a ring groove with a dremel (folks with steadier hands than me do it though), but a flat does not need much precision at all.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by Innov8tive
It is pretty easy to cut a ring groove if you do it right. The trick is to put the shaft in an electric drill and have a friend hold it down firmly on a table while the drill spins. I usually mark the shaft with a black permanent market around the area where I intend on making the groove, then use a set of digital calipers locked to the right length to scratch a slight mark through the black marker to show me where to cut. Then you take the Dremel tool with a thin cut-off wheel and run the Dremel very fast. 8 or 9 out of 10 if you have an adjustable model. Then you hold the Dremel with both hands and hold the wheel up against the shaft and cut a groove in the shaft. If you hold he cut-off wheel perfectly perpendicular to the shaft, you get a perfect c-clip groove with nice square sides.

Lucien
Site Sponsor