This thread is privately moderated by cracksmeup, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 17, 2012, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

A little about me,very little. lol

I was a carpenter for 29 years now iam a boss in a construction company building custom homes and any thing bigger thy throw at me. I have been flying for 30+ years and building with balsa for that long. Even tho iam older iam still learning to build ,balsa and now iam learning about building with foam . I have made some great friends here on RCG and iam winding down my work life to retire very soon to go flying with them. Here are a couple of my builds.I have also been riding motorcycles since i was around 7 or 8 and my first harley was a 1954 panhead i owned for 25 years . Now i was getting old to keep kick my cold starting pan so i sold it and bought my 97 road king ,or as i call it by the color, my barny bike.lol I built my second canard ,my last being 26 years ago it flew great and now a bigger one is in order. To all that get here I have kinda retired if the construction corperation will ever leave me alone . Lol I work on a phone now for a few hours a day and then goof off the rest of the day building planes or tinkering around on my old 1999 Jeep Cherokee. Life is good and hoping I live long enough to enjoy my retirement and get out to fly a few of my planes I built and still building. Joe
Last edited by cracksmeup; Jun 25, 2018 at 08:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2012, 12:57 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
HOLY-CRAAP. . .Joe your the guy that built that beautiful shorts Solent Teal airways! Wow!. . . I've seen photos of it before I had no Idea you built it. .. .excellent work Sir!
Latest blog entry: RC 737 Max 7 Maiden flight!
Nov 27, 2012, 12:53 PM
Thread OP
Thanks demon but its no match of what you build with foam . I watch your and freddie's b builds not because i like jets but because i have learned about building with foam faster from watching you two nuckle heads.lmao joe
May 03, 2013, 08:54 AM
Wow, those planes are all really, really nice. Very nice craftsmanship. I don't have the patience to build with that kind of complexity. I tend to stick to simpler designs. I'm 63 and work as an Engineering Inspector for Construction (mainly airports). I rode and occasionaly raced Dirt Bikes (Hare Scramble, Enduro) for 30 years. Had to give that up back in 2005. I started flying and building back in 2003. Home base for me is Atlanta Georgia but I travel a lot. By the way, learned to fly on the slope when I worked a project in St. Thomas. USVI, back in 2006, you got to try that, at least once.
May 03, 2013, 05:33 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the nice coments Daughtry50 I have enjoyed build things all my life . joe
Aug 06, 2013, 05:03 AM
Wow!! LI've y
Aug 06, 2013, 05:06 AM
sorry hit send by accident but love the planes not to mention the bike. The shorts Solent is a beauty, how do you steer it on the water I don't see any rudders?
Aug 04, 2014, 04:45 AM
TonyS
Joe, we exchanged messages about the Canard Stick quite some time back. At the time I overlooked the picture of your Sea Cruiser. Wednesday mornings a group of us old farts meet to fly float planes. I had not flown a float plane until two summers ago when Bill Johnson, designer and sell of Sea Cruiser kits and one of my flying buddies. Bill talked me into showing up at the lake. There he handed me the transmitter to fly his prototype. I loved it's flying characteristics.

I now have one .25 size and two of the larger version, one glow and one electric.

I hope you have had as much fun with your Sea Cruiser I have had with mine.

TonyS
Mar 11, 2016, 02:34 PM
Cracks hi as you've control over this you can delete it but Ive a little something that might interest you in particular ...............have you ever seen this ultralight?
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Mar 11, 2016 at 02:46 PM.
Aug 29, 2016, 09:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboatflyingshp
Cracks hi as you've control over this you can delete it but Ive a little something that might interest you in particular ...............have you ever seen this ultralight?
Sorry so late on my reply is there a plan anywhere on the canard seaplane ? joe
Aug 29, 2016, 02:38 PM
Hi Joe there might be somewhere on line, there's definitely U tube footage ........but I dont have a plan saved. you can see most of the construction in the photos shouldnt be too hard to do a TYLAR and check it on the canard CofG calculator.. if I find more I will add.
Clive
Feb 25, 2018, 08:42 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboatflyingshp
Hi Joe there might be somewhere on line, there's definitely U tube footage ........but I dont have a plan saved. you can see most of the construction in the photos shouldnt be too hard to do a TYLAR and check it on the canard CofG calculator.. if I find more I will add.
Clive
Hi Clive I just had Staples print out a full size nitro 40 size das canard stick print so iam going to start cutting out ribs and fuse soon . Yep going electric with it , all 70 or so of my kit or scratch built nitro and 1/3 gas planes are sold off now so building up my electric plane stash .lol thanks for the video sir , joe
Feb 25, 2018, 07:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonystro
Joe, we exchanged messages about the Canard Stick quite some time back. At the time I overlooked the picture of your Sea Cruiser. Wednesday mornings a group of us old farts meet to fly float planes. I had not flown a float plane until two summers ago when Bill Johnson, designer and sell of Sea Cruiser kits and one of my flying buddies. Bill talked me into showing up at the lake. There he handed me the transmitter to fly his prototype. I loved it's flying characteristics.

I now have one .25 size and two of the larger version, one glow and one electric.

I hope you have had as much fun with your Sea Cruiser I have had with mine.

TonyS
They made a kit of the Sea cruiser back in the 70s . Itís a large Drake with ailerons , mine old one had a OS 60 on it . I flew it for 15 years . Great seaplane ! Once in a while a kit comes up for sale and I buy them . Joe
Apr 05, 2018, 08:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiflying
sorry hit send by accident but love the planes not to mention the bike. The shorts Solent is a beauty, how do you steer it on the water I don't see any rudders?
There is a rudder I made to sneak underneath before I fly her . It flys like a giant trainer and very light and slow looking at a little over 7 pounds with batteries in her . Thanks joe

Quick Reply