Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by Nicksbbq
Nick
Help!

Old Ultracoat

Bought 70 rolls of Ultracoat at an estate sell for $50. I guess it got hot in this guys workshop or maybe because its old. When I peel the backing off the color stays on the backing leaving me with a clear piece of covering. Anybody got any tricks I can try?
Thanks
NIck
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:05 AM
Find More Posts by Thermalin
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
hmmm I have never heard of that before. In fact.. i had some old rolls and the paper backing separated from the plastic. If the coloring and heat activated glue stuff defused from the actual plasticized sheet., i would say it's shot. The plastic would probably make a good covering when building on the plan.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:30 AM
Nick
Ok I found a fix. I wrapped the roll in aluminum foil. Set the oven on 170 degrees as low as it would go. Put a cookie sheet on the bottom rack to diffuse the heat. Placed foil wrapped Ultracoat on top rack. Baked for 20 minutes turned oven off , let cool for another 20 minutes took out opened foil. Unrolled Ultracoat no color stuck to the backing. Appears to work very well.
Thanks
Nick
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by piperjoe
That's a pretty slick idea! Go BAMA!! (used to live in Decatur and Cullman)

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:39 AM
Nick
Additionally all the glue is gone. I tried some Balsarite and some Aqua Net hair spray they worked ok on surfaces but when I have to overlap on a seam or edge nothing seems to work. Anybody ave any suggestions for reapplying some type of substance to replace the glue for overlaps. I sure would like to find a way to use this as I have so many rolls.
Thanks