Durable Aircraft Models (Unobtainium) 66" P-51 - Page 4 - RC Groups
Nov 22, 2012, 02:18 AM
It's not going to build itself
I powered up the gear to make sure the old servos were not stripped or something. The elev. servo was loose, so I pulled it and re-gooped it in. I capped the hole with a thin piece of epp too.
This kit never had a clear canopy, so ,after getting one, I traced the canopy onto the fuse and cut away the foam canopy area, leaving 3/8" for the new canopy to glue to. I need to make an instrument bump and clean up the cockpit floor.
I was thinking about leaving my huge 72 mhz. receiver in, for the "old schoolness', but I will probably get a new FrSky receiver from Wayne at Aloft Hobbies.
Tom
Last edited by TRISME; Jan 31, 2013 at 12:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 22, 2012, 07:59 AM
Free as a bird now.
You guys are doing some DAM nice work. I am looking forward to seeing P-51 vs Me-109 at Cajon!

Rubio, I was planning on the all yellow with black graphics Rockwell International plane that Bob Hoover used for flying at airshows. Easy to do, and easy to see.
Last edited by Brian Courtice; Nov 22, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Nov 22, 2012, 10:01 AM
Nothing to see here...
Tom
You are movin along at a steady clip!! No slackin ... I like it.

Brian
I was hopin more for a war type scheme. so I will have to keep lookin...

Rubio
who is off to the 5k
Nov 22, 2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks Rubio,
I'm trying to keep a steady although slow pace.
Tom
Nov 22, 2012, 10:11 AM
Nothing to see here...
Tom
What scheme are you doing??

Rubio
Nov 22, 2012, 10:32 AM
Originally Wade had covered this one with a grey and green scheme with a yellow nose. It was really nice. I'm thinking of something similar. I don't think I will paint this one, I'm going to cover it with Oracover like my Mustang.
Tom
Last edited by TRISME; Nov 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM.
Nov 22, 2012, 10:47 AM
Good for what ALES you
OK... yesterday's top priority was clearing the work space and finishing repairs on three other planes that were in the repair queue. Once the epoxy was curing on those projects I did a bit of prep work on the P-51 wing.

The first job was the removal of the old strapping tape. This wasn't difficult, just time consuming since some adhesive was completely gone and other spots you had to move cautiously where it was still stuck. One important lesson here was that the old tape only had support strings running lengthwise. This tape appeared to only provided support in the one dimension. Now that it is removed, I need to rewire the servos and check whether they are usable or need replacing.

Let me know if there is a recommended brand or source for the replacement tape. I also need to do a full step-by-step read of the manual before switching from tear-down to rebuild mode.
Nov 22, 2012, 11:02 AM
Go Aric!
Lately I've seen most guys use the 3M bi directional tape. The uni directional is easier to slit into narrower strips to wrap around tight curves. I think the bi directional is a little more costly. They will both work fine, I usually use whichever I have. : )
Tom
Nov 22, 2012, 01:11 PM
Nothing to see here...
Hi Tom
The 5 k is done
I really like this one...
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353607761.498357.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 50.0 KB
Description:
It's deluxe!!

Aric
I use the cross weave tape on my wings. Then the uni-directional on the fuse.

Rubio
Who is going surfing..,
Th
Nov 22, 2012, 11:50 PM
Good for what ALES you
Here's a story about Bob Hoover's P-51... I was at Kennedy for the final launch of Space Shuttle Discovery. While there, I met one of the fire/rescue workers who worked on both the Saturn and Shuttle programs. He told me how when he worked for the Air Force, Bob Hoover knew the base commander and came by for a visit in his P-51. He and another fellow were working on the fire engine when an alert came out. Everything wasn't back together but they decided to roll anyway. When they got to the field, Bob Hoover's P-51 was on the runway in a rising gray cloud and Bob was standing on the seat frantically waving his arms. Bob was yelling and when they got closer they could hear him saying not to use foam on the plane and as they rolled up they could see that it was steam rising, not smoke. Bob had smacked his nose during the landing so the rescue fireman gave him his handkerchief to help stop the bleeding. When the fireman met Bob again months later, Bob remembered the handkerchief and offered to replace it, but the fireman declined.

Here's a photo of the rescue crew at one of the Shuttle launches and they were all nearly fired for being outside the M113 APC during the launch. Turns out the launch was delayed for a few hours so they went outside for a break. When the launch clock was restarted, the message did not go across the frequency used by the rescue personnel so they were still outside during the launch. This picture was taken of the crew and it became one of the most requested photos from the launch. When an administrator saw it, he wanted them reprimanded. They asked for the recordings to be checked and sure enough the message to resume the launch was never sent.
Nov 24, 2012, 02:06 AM
Nothing to see here...
Thanks for the story. Those are great moments. It's really nice to have you in this thread. I have been brought up on rockets. My grandmother was an aerospace teacher and went to every launch. She passed her love if aerospace to me.
Tonight I worked on the P-51 ( the LEG)
But I did manage. To get the other wing spar set.
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353740276.132863.jpg
Views: 50
Size: 13.5 KB
Description:
Goop the channel an the wing trailing edge.
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353740387.140630.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 46.3 KB
Description:
I used and old screwdriver to spread it out.
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353740443.014935.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 45.4 KB
Description:
Tape the trailing edge spar.
Then insert the main spar.
I added some whit gorilla glue along the edges to get a tight bond
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353740561.719925.jpg
Views: 43
Size: 48.1 KB
Description:
Next surf mag time for weight.
After a half an hour I checked the gorilla glue and got rid of the excess foaming then put the wax paper in top again
I'll leave for the night now.
A couple of prices of the LEG
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353740736.218827.jpg
Views: 73
Size: 71.0 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353740752.484667.jpg
Views: 61
Size: 61.9 KB
Description:
It's going to a red tail

Rubio
Nov 24, 2012, 09:13 AM
Looking cool Rubio!
Nov 24, 2012, 10:25 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Sweet looking progress there Rubio! She's looking good with that red tail

Cheers,

Rob
Nov 24, 2012, 01:55 PM
Tom and Rubio, keep up the great work you are both doing
Nov 24, 2012, 03:37 PM
Nothing to see here...
Well I just masked off and painted my first canopy. Here she is. Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353789404.683425.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 42.2 KB
Description:
DELUXE!!!

Rubio