2014-06-21 (1 min 22 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2014, 02:54 AM
extra 300 (3 min 9 sec)
Aug 13, 2014, 03:27 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
Great flying mate
Aug 13, 2014, 09:03 AM
Very impressive, both building and flying skills!
Aug 30, 2014, 03:24 PM
Last summer flight

extra 300, end of summer (2 min 29 sec)
Sep 20, 2014, 03:43 AM
Fly low and slow
Stunning.

Can you show us your foam wing cutting setup?

Also how did you cut the lower front engine panel? It looks a complex shape that is very neatly done.

As others have said the covering is very nice.
Sep 20, 2014, 09:42 AM
Thanks!

Wing cutting setup... Well, I have a very (really, very!) old 24V charger, and simple wooden 40" frame for hot wire (don`t ask what type of metal it is I just pulled it out from electric air heater).

Also every time when I want to cut a new type of wing, I have to cut wooden airfoiled templates (now I have a buch of them). I attach them to a foam block, and then start cutting wings. I hold one side of frame, and my father holds another one, and then we cut foam around the template.

To round all the edges of fuselage, I use a lot of sandpaper, thats all. Some depron parts are molded by using hair fan
Sep 29, 2014, 04:01 AM
Fly low and slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by arm1s
Will be finished soon

Very impressive.
How did you make the canopy hatch system; it looks like a thin plywood construction?

What is the undercarriage made of and how was it attached to the weak foam fuselage bottom?

Just realized that you have no visible engine or electronics cooling; doesn't the engine BEC get hot?
Last edited by TrueBuld; Sep 29, 2014 at 04:09 AM.
Sep 29, 2014, 07:42 AM
For canopy hatch I`ve installed this little thing:

And, yes there is balsa construction inside the canopy.

Undercarriage sometimes is too weak (on really bad landings). Landing gear is made of aluminium.

Engine has exelent cooling, although you don`t see it in the pictures.
ESC gets hot only in mid-summer afternoons, when temperature gets over +27C (80F)
Sep 29, 2014, 03:51 PM
Fly low and slow
Thank you arm1s.
All this information and the pictures are very informative for me and I should think others.

That canopy hatch is very neat and I now have learned that you use bias tape to strengthen stressed areas.

I wonder if securing the undercarriage with dowels and rubber bands would provide a more flexible mounting; however, it would not make your sleek plane look as nice
Last edited by TrueBuld; Sep 29, 2014 at 03:57 PM.
Sep 29, 2014, 05:06 PM
bias tape? What is it?

I use fiberglass mesh tape + PVA glue to make fuselage more rigid. Fiberglass on one side side of depron and packing tape tape on another, makes fuse extremely durable.
Sep 29, 2014, 05:27 PM
Warbirds Lover
Hi there !

Very nice project and nice plane, congratulations !

best regards
Sep 29, 2014, 05:48 PM
Thanks Dreamcatcher!
Sep 30, 2014, 03:37 AM
Warbirds Lover
you're welcome !

I just read the entire post and watched all the videos - very neat piloting (and no fear to give a bath to the plane )

i have a question, please :
Is it a wing with ribs and spar ? or is it cut in foam with a hot wire saw ?

Thank you.

A lot of people seems to be interested in the plan of this Extra 300.

If that can help, i think i can manage to draw the blueprint for you - for free, of course,( i'm not in the business) - i think i just need some pictures of the paper plans and some selected pictures of the building if you have some more than the ones you already posted (just need 100% lateral and 100% vertical views + some indicated lenght ). i can import them in a 2D CAD software and give you a .DWG (Autocad) file and .pdf file.
If you are interested, just send me a PM.

Have a nice day and good flights

Best regards

D.C.
Sep 30, 2014, 04:06 AM
No, this is just simple EPS 150 foam cut with hot-wire I`ve started building second extra, but I am very busy with my studies right now, so have no time to finish it. Also, I started building an FPV-racer, so a lot work to do here.

I`ve attached pictures of unfinished extra.

Quick Reply