Thread Tools
Nov 15, 2012, 08:49 PM
Trapman Bobby Lou
Discussion

Go Pro Hero 3 fpv


Is anyone using the Go Pro Hero 3 yet? Can it be used for fpv and record at the same time? I had heard not.

Also, is there a connection to go from the mini HMDI to composite?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2012, 09:47 AM
Registered User
carr52's Avatar
I'm not sure about the questions you asked but I'm planning to find out. I just got the Hero 3 silver version. I've never owned a camera like this before so its all new to me. I bought it to do FPV and to just do video flying my Twisted Hobbys planes. This is deffenetly a cool camera. I'll post a video if I get the chance to get out and fly today. Too cold out right now. I'll try it later when it warms up a bit.

Tom
Nov 17, 2012, 11:01 AM
Trapman Bobby Lou

Go Pro H3


The Go Pro Hero 3 uses a mini HDMI connection for A/V out which will be how it connects to your fpv transmitter. The fpv transmitter I have uses composite wires (red, white, green, yellow and black) to splice to. I do not know if the HDMI can connect to these wires.?
Nov 17, 2012, 02:12 PM
Registered User
carr52's Avatar
I've been looking at a Tx&Rx from HK. I figure I'll start small maybe buy a better set later on. Haven't found anyone using this set yet. I'll just have to keep looking.

Tom

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Tx_Rx_Set.html

On the HK site it looks like a lot of people are having trouble with this setup. Was it hard to get connected and setup on the gopro? Thanks for the input.

Tom
Last edited by carr52; Nov 25, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
Nov 17, 2012, 04:00 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
I've been looking at a Tx&Rx from HK. I figure I'll start small maybe buy a better set later on. Haven't found anyone using this set yet. I'll just have to keep looking.

Tom

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Tx_Rx_Set.html
I use that all the time. I get about 4 miles rnage with cp antennas. Great set.
Nov 17, 2012, 04:02 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp_chapman View Post
The Go Pro Hero 3 uses a mini HDMI connection for A/V out which will be how it connects to your fpv transmitter. The fpv transmitter I have uses composite wires (red, white, green, yellow and black) to splice to. I do not know if the HDMI can connect to these wires.?
Also has a composite video out plug:
http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-bl...ition#features
Nov 18, 2012, 06:53 PM
Registered User
bcollydas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiNate View Post
Also has a composite video out plug:
http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-bl...ition#features
No it don't It only has a USB and a mini HDMI connectors.
I have the Black edition.


Cheers
Last edited by bcollydas; Nov 18, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Nov 18, 2012, 06:56 PM
Registered User
bcollydas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp_chapman View Post
Is anyone using the Go Pro Hero 3 yet? Can it be used for fpv and record at the same time? I had heard not.

Also, is there a connection to go from the mini HMDI to composite?
You have to get yourself a HDMI2AV converter.
Amazon I thinck sells them
Nov 18, 2012, 07:25 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
No it don't It only has a USB and a mini HDMI connectors.
I have the Black edition.


Cheers
You're doing it wrong

http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/combo-cable

You don't need a hdmi converter... Its not just a usb plug, its an accessory port. RTM

Nov 18, 2012, 07:36 PM
Registered User
carr52's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiNate View Post
I use that all the time. I get about 4 miles rnage with cp antennas. Great set.
What are cp antennas? New at this. 4 miles is pretty good. I'd be afraid to let my plane get that far away. I guess once I got use to doing this I'd go out a little farther each time.

Tom
Last edited by carr52; Nov 19, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Nov 18, 2012, 10:24 PM
Registered User
cp stands for circular polarized. BEVRC.com had them for about $20 a set. Much better range and less interference. I only got about 1/2 mile with the stock ones. Once you get comfortable with your video reception, then you have to address your rc link. But it sure is fun to fly out and back that far once you can focus on having fun and not worrying about losing control or video Check out fpvpilot.com for some good basics. That's where I learned and setup my easystar. Also check the video piloting part of this forum, great info there too!
Nov 19, 2012, 09:42 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiNate View Post
You're doing it wrong

http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/combo-cable

You don't need a hdmi converter... Its not just a usb plug, its an accessory port. RTM

I'm using just the composite cable. No need for the mic and USB plugs.
http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/...omposite-cable
Nov 19, 2012, 11:45 PM
Registered User
carr52's Avatar
I been trying to learn this camera but I guess it'll take a while. Is there a function with a timer so you can get in the photo yourself? I think the the Hero2 has it but can't find it in the hero3 manual.

Tom
Nov 20, 2012, 01:23 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
No it don't It only has a USB and a mini HDMI connectors.
I have the Black edition.


Cheers
Unless you work for GoPro R&D team or are sponsored, you don't have a Black Edition, sorry, they are not released until 30th Nov. Only the White and Silver, they all have a black case.
Nov 20, 2012, 03:59 AM
Registered User
bcollydas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus_dragon View Post
Unless you work for GoPro R&D team or are sponsored, you don't have a Black Edition, sorry, they are not released until 30th Nov. Only the White and Silver, they all have a black case.
I do have the Black edition. I preordered from GoPro direct a month a go.
According to this I think is the black.

"{
"info version":"1.1",
"firmware version":"HD3.03.01.09",
"wifi version":"3.2.3.12",
"wifi bootloader version":"0.2.2",
"wifi mac":"d896850b5ca9",
"camera type":"Hero3-Black Edition",
}



Cheers


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Go Pro Hero 960 Camera Monstermanhbf Cars - Trucks and Parts (FS/W) 9 Aug 09, 2012 05:40 PM
For Sale go pro hd hero Lip. Non R/C Items (FS/W) 2 Apr 12, 2012 06:32 PM
Sold Go Pro Hero beachflyer FPV Equipment (FS/W) 2 Mar 31, 2012 02:35 PM
Discussion FPV flight #2 Go-pro hero 2 NJFPVER FPV Talk 0 Feb 20, 2012 12:19 PM
Discussion Go Pro HD HERO FPV man2000me FPV Talk 57 Aug 11, 2011 02:39 PM