Mar 25, 2015, 02:30 PM

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmobile
I spray a thin coat of black on the spinner and use whiteout or small white paint line has worked for me
You, too, have had this problem, eh? Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try.

Who said "Silver Sharpie"? Kidding right?

thanks guys,
Cpt. Ron
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2015, 04:27 PM
Actually no I wasn't. All my EDF spinner are black plastic so it works perfectly.
Apr 01, 2015, 04:52 AM
bps
bps
I just learned something about placing balancing weights inside the spinner of my EDF units. My approach was to add a small trial weight to one location on the spinner and then rotate the spinner to see if the vibration levels changed.

Here is what seems to work much better;
1) Rotate (clock) fan to find least amount of vibration, spinner not installed.
2) Install and clock spinner to find least amount of vibration and mark.
3) Test and begin adding trial weights to spinner each time moving weight and not location of spinner.

Much faster and better results. Never realized the problems I created for myself using the prior methods. Still going to school here.
Apr 22, 2015, 10:09 PM
bps
bps
I have been trying to use the strobe balance method. Must be doing something wrong because I canot get just one solid line. Line jumps all over the place. I even tried two different fans thinking the EDF was to far out of balance. No luck. Maybe my balance stand is not good enough? Any ideas?
Thanks
Last edited by bps; Apr 23, 2015 at 05:00 AM.
Apr 22, 2015, 10:35 PM
Can you post a pic of your jig for the fans your trying to balance
Apr 23, 2015, 05:05 AM
bps
bps
I edited the above post to include photos of my balance stand. The EDF platform is mounted on a pivot point secured by two screws with fuel tubing insulating the metal screw from the metal "L" bracket. I have also tried using more or less foam to each end of the EDF stand in an effort to lessen or increase the rocking ability of the EDF. Not having much luck here. I suspect my stand is creating more noise than my EDF is...Thoughts?? Thanks
Apr 23, 2015, 06:14 AM

My version of the stand

See if your stand rocks freely like mine does I'm not for certain and maybe Mark could give us his 2 cents but I'm thinking you are too wide from the pivot and a bit too much height on the foam from the pivot point
Here is the video I posted and I'm very happy with the results I get, notice the movement allowed on 2 axis and it takes nothing to rock it back and forth the more resistance on the back and forth movement the more it will hide your imbalance

Dynexhobby fan balancer mount my example (1 min 57 sec)

Hope this helps - Jack
Apr 23, 2015, 06:31 AM

Maybe you do this first I noticed something else

Ok upon taking a closer look at your pictures I also had a problem getting a constant signal line and this is how I resolved my issue your nose cone is silver when I had chrome or silver cones I had to paint them black and put a single white line to get a very clear and pronounced line on my scope
Here is my example of what I had to do and that did the trick for me
Apr 23, 2015, 06:56 AM
bps
bps
I will build a new stand and try that. Thanks
Apr 23, 2015, 08:38 AM
For some reason the silver with a black line is not as good as a black cap with white line the optical sees this much better probably the silver reflects surrounding light and interferes with your signal
Apr 24, 2015, 06:03 PM
bps
bps
Jack,

Thanks for taking the time to do a video and explaining your stand. I have rebuilt mine but seems like I still can not get a single line. The best I can do is have the line jump around a bit. Fan is not that far out of balance it seems. Ideas?

Thanks
Apr 24, 2015, 06:20 PM
Who makes that 8 blade fan?
Apr 24, 2015, 06:28 PM
Remember what I said about your cone being silver the optical sensor is looking for the white light (the line )and the cone being silver will reflect light and send all kinds of signals
Thru the optical pick up paint that cone black and put 1 line like the one u have that should clean up the mess u see then the optical sensor will pick up only the white line
Try this and let me know :-) and I saw the redesign I think it's an improvement on what you had before I'd like to see a video kinda what I did to show the rocking motion with the rubber band oh and by the way there's no need to run these fans on full blast it only take a third or quarter throttle to get it to show the imbalance let me know - Jack
Apr 24, 2015, 06:45 PM

CNC HK 8 blade aluminum fan

Cnc cut from HK the comments (reviews) say theres no need to balance but that's not true not by my standards at least not the ones I got. I ran one on 4 cells you can hear it out of balance in the run up and smooths out at higher speeds . I got 801 watts 54.9 amps and 1085 grams of thrust on the stand for a 70mm fan not bad at all, imagine when it's balanced thrust should go up a bit, amps should go down a bit as well being metal 5 and 6 cell are possibilities also but being in a plastic housing I'd have to reinforce the sides with a thin layer of fiberglass to help keep its round shape plastic housings have a tendency to get warped as the air goes thru it on higher cells
May 31, 2015, 09:21 PM
event horizon
I finally had some time to solder my board together but I guess I have a newer PCB as this seems to be missing an adjustment that is described in Manual 4.0. Is there a new manual that I missed when I browsed the thread? I also noted that there is a software key needed? or has that changed as well. I plugged in the board to a 3S pack and without the iMic plugged into the unit the PC light is on, is this normal? Since I didn't see any pictures of the new board I uploaded a couple as they have appear to have less components than the previous pictures of the PCB. I also wanted to make sure that there is nothing else to do to the PCB before I install it in the housing with a bit of silicone to secure it from rattling around in the housing. I still have to build some test fixtures/stands so I'm not quite ready to start balancing but i'd like to make sure I got this working correctly.
Having looked over the thread I get the general idea now to see if I can put it into practice with out having to ask a bunch of dumb questions. I am excited to learn this as I stopped building EDF's as the balancing was a problem, but I will use it more for motor balancing than any other purpose. Nothing tops off a custom wind better than a superb balance job. Thanks again Mr. Dynex.
Last edited by Jasper Q; May 31, 2015 at 09:29 PM.