View Poll Results: What applications would you use balancing for?
helicopters 6 15.79%
Turbines 6 15.79%
Electric Ducted Fans 35 92.11%
Drones 4 10.53%
Aircraft Props 16 42.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Nov 12, 2012, 03:59 PM
Good vibrations.
Thread OP
New Product

EDF Balancer

Hi guys,

Just want to introduce the Vortex Dynamic Balancer for EDF enthusiasts. The Vortex is full blown dynamic balancer and vibration spectrum analyser. Most commercial systems start at $2000 and upwards. The Vortex sells for only $150.

A lot of R&D has gone into the Vortex. It uses industry methods for dynamic balancing. The spectrum analysis tool is useful for diagnosing complex problems with EDF setups. We also include free web based software for analysis.

Finally a dedicated dynamic balancer for RC!!

For more information please follow this link.

www.dynexhobby.com

Enjoy!

DH.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2012, 04:43 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert

Ok!

I want one.
Nov 12, 2012, 04:51 PM
Good vibrations.
Thread OP
Great stuff. Don't forget to checkout the instructional videos online.

regards

DH
Nov 12, 2012, 04:53 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
a new toy!!
Nov 12, 2012, 05:22 PM
very cool !!
Nov 12, 2012, 05:57 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert

Question....

Site says make sure the computer is stereo-compatible on the input jack. I'm assuming this is necessary for the 2-axis sensor inputs - correct?
Nov 12, 2012, 06:13 PM
In summary it sounds like you get an electronic interface box with accelerometer and infrared sensor that turns your computer into an oscilliscope using their software. I believe you must make the EDF test vehicle mounting box? but he has a good video to show you how he made his. From the looks of it, it looks like a better data acquisition method than what I can achieve with the 3-axis accelerometer in my cell phone since I have always struggle with the noise issue. Still I can get pretty close after many trials and moving average smoothing function but their filter is nice and it looks like you could balance the fan more precisely and faster than with the cell phone method.
Nov 12, 2012, 06:24 PM
Good vibrations.
Thread OP
Yep, the Stereo jack is required for the acceleration & IR sensor input. The acceleration is only single axis. Thanks.
Nov 12, 2012, 06:31 PM
Good vibrations.
Thread OP
Hi db_sonic, yes you're correct. You will need to make the mounting cradle to suit your application. The cradle is an important part of the measuring system but is relatively easy to make. A lot of work has gone into reducing noise for data acquisition, so that you get a nice sine wave so to speak. You can also use oscilloscope software that performs time averaging if you have a lot of noise but I found that it wasn't really required for EDF work. Thanks.
Nov 12, 2012, 06:57 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Looking forward to using this. Lots of applications ready and waiting.
Nov 12, 2012, 07:55 PM
This balancer is very interesting. Can the strobe method be used with out a computer to get fan balancing? Where are you located. Thanks
Nov 12, 2012, 09:34 PM
Good vibrations.
Thread OP
Yep, the balancer can be used without a PC. Look at the instructional video on our website or our channel on YouTube.

The balancer has three balance methods,

i. single plane (PC),
ii. 4 point (PC) and
iii. strobe (non-PC).

The user manual is available online.

thanks,

DH
Nov 12, 2012, 10:33 PM
DH, if I have an outrunner setup(scorpion and turbax fan for example), what do you recommend for the mount setup since I cant support the back as you show with the inrunner type? Thx.
Nov 13, 2012, 12:01 AM
Good vibrations.
Thread OP
Hi db_sonic, extend the width of the pivot beam so it can support the entire fan assembly. This should work assuming that the scorpian is already balanced at the factory. You may require two straps to secure to the beam for safety.

If you have difficulty getting it to work, go with the 4 point method as it is fairly insensitive to the cradle setup. Good luck.
Nov 13, 2012, 12:05 AM
Ohhhh another toy. Looked at all the vids, I really like it. My 8k dollar unit for precision spindles is just too big to work for the small model stuff. I might just have to order one. About how much in US$ and shipping to US?

Quick Reply