Nov 11, 2012, 11:48 AM
Thread OP
Question

Turnigy 9x convert to 72mhz?

I just ordered a 9x and I would like to be able to convert it to MHZ so I can use it with model submarines, as well as 2.4 applications like planes and boats. I use both 2.4 and MHZ bands

Can anyone give me some insight on doing this? i would need a mhz module and?

I dont have it yet so i can examine it

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2012, 11:55 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
JR modules will fit, but you have to make some minor changes in the radio. They have one pin grounded that in some older JR modules expect to see 6 volts.

There was a mod posted that showed how to add a 6 volt regulator. I will look for the link.

I will double check, but pretty sure the JR synth module does not expect the 6 volts and simply isolating the pin is enough.

If you do isolate the pin then you have to redo the connection in the original 2.4 module should you ever want to use it.

You will also have to do something about the antenna Older 9X radios bought from other vendors still had it, but those bought from HK never did.

Pat MacKenzie
Nov 11, 2012, 11:59 AM
Link to 6 volt mod

http://www.netalbum.org/FlySky-EURGL...EN_gall_73.php

My post about isolating the grounded pin and adding the jumper to the module.
This radio had the built in 72mhz antenna.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=5588

Note that the module mod is only required if you want to use it in a JR tx. To use it in the 9X you don't need any mod to the module.

Pat MacKenzie
Nov 11, 2012, 12:00 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Pat. Cool, I would love to be able to use a JR synth module on this radio.

i would really appreciate the link! Definately am gong to do this mod.

Rick
Nov 11, 2012, 12:01 PM
links posted above.
Nov 11, 2012, 12:05 PM
Thread OP
Awesome, thanks!
Nov 11, 2012, 08:23 PM
I am running the JR 72 MHz synth module in a 9x with no mods to the the 9x at all, except the antenna mount itself, which I had to make with a little piece of bent metal soldered to the board with a screw sticking through it for the antenna to screw on.

So just to repeat, there are no 6V mods needed on the 9x if you use the JR synth module only.

EDIT: I am running a 3S battery, not a 2S... I don't know if the lower voltage would require any changes.
2nd EDIT: you must use PPM mode only... PCM is proprietary to JR and your 9x knows nothing about the signals required by the transmitter or receivers.
Nov 11, 2012, 08:27 PM
I did try my synth module (before I even upgraded the 9X firmware) and it worked fine.

But isolating the pin is easy, and you never know if someone might try a module that could be damaged.

Pat MacKenzie
Nov 11, 2012, 11:30 PM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie

You will also have to do something about the antenna Older 9X radios bought from other vendors still had it, but those bought from HK never did.

Pat MacKenzie
Not true. The Turnigy 9x sold until about May/June 2010 came with an FM antenna and no 2.4 module. I know because I bought one at that time. Soon after, they started shipping with the 2.4 module and no FM antenna.

It doesn't matter much now except that someone might have an old one with the antenna and wonder.

By the way, mine is still going strong with an FrSky DHT module, Smartieparts programmer and ER9x firmware. I've had three more 9x transmitters (2 FlySky and one Turnigy) since then (for myself and other people) and all have worked perfectly.
Nov 11, 2012, 11:37 PM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih
you must use PPM mode only... PCM is proprietary to JR and your 9x knows nothing about the signals required by the transmitter or receivers.
There used to be 35 and 72 modules made by FlySky for the 9x that gave all 9 channels and allowed the use of PCM. That's why it's called 9x. With PPM as used for 2.4 it's only good for 8 channels.

The particular flavor of PCM was proprietary to FlySky and didn't work with JR. I assume they were discontinued a couple of years ago.
Nov 11, 2012, 11:54 PM
The JR Synth module costs more than the 9x radio... it might be cheaper to buy a nice 72 MHz computer JR radio on Ebay. JR's firmware is super easy to use. Just a thought.
Nov 12, 2012, 05:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih
The JR Synth module costs more than the 9x radio... it might be cheaper to buy a nice 72 MHz computer JR radio on Ebay. JR's firmware is super easy to use. Just a thought.
I doubt that now... I mean yeah, before 2.4 dident exist they were gold.

I have a 9303. I like the cheap Turnigy because I get the transmitter wet with my boat and sub testing. I drip water on it, touch it with glue on my hands etc

An expensive radio is not good for what I do. Its like doing construction and driving a brand new BMW loaded with tools, Ha

This is great to hear, no mods minus the antenna Im am def going to run a 3s lipo
Jun 14, 2013, 12:42 AM
where can I get a 72mhz module for my er9x?
Jun 14, 2013, 05:42 AM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSoulsDream
where can I get a 72mhz module for my er9x?
I assume you mean for your Turnigy 9x (or FlySky 9x) . The type of firmware does not affect the use of FM.

Unfortunately, the FlySky FM modules are no longer manufactured, so you would have to look for a used one. Other labels include IMax, Eurgle.

As discussed above, it is also possible to use a JR synth module but only on PPM for 8 channels. Again, you would probably need to look for a used one.

Either way, you would need to rig an antenna mount (unless you have a 9X from 2010 or before).
Jun 14, 2013, 06:20 AM
Why would he need a synth module to operate a sub ? He can get a used fixed frequency module for under $20.

Heck they even sell new modules 'Futaba slot' for $2.99 http://www.servocity.com/html/hitec_air_modules.html

Quick Reply