New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by flattermann
check the crazyplanes ...
Discussion

Rc - rotorwing

Hi guys,

don't know, wether this is the right place to talk about my last project:

It's a new concept of a 'flying wing' - and another definition of it, too.

With regard to the 'Magnus Effect' of a rotating cylinder, turning against an airstream, I thought about a kind of a 'monowing', consisting only of one rotating cylinder with Thom - slices, a Y styled CF - frame, some rc- and drive utulities, and a vector unit for motion and steering.

What shall I say - her are the first results, shown in a small video on my website:
www.crazyplanes.de/rotorwing1.wmv

Not yet tested, the question is: Will it fly ... or die?
-Comments welcome! -

Have fun!

flattermann
Last edited by flattermann; Nov 10, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:17 PM
Find More Posts by Gonzo 1971
This is BAT country!
Looks good. i cant get the link to work though.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:16 PM
Find More Posts by djacob7
Zen in the art of foam
Ditto the link...
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:41 AM
O. K. guys, her's the link to my Youtube - upload:

RC Experimental Rotorwing Rotating Wing with Magnus - Effect * Making Of * (3 min 50 sec)

Hopefully, it will fly (waiting for better weather).

flattermann
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:34 PM
Find More Posts by Azarr
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
Very nice, I had a couple of rotor wing kites a few years ago and they flew well. Looking forward to your flight reports.

Azarr
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by djacob7
Zen in the art of foam
Great achievement!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:11 PM

The Rotorwing Flies!

Hy guys, the rotor wing flies!

Today the weather improved a bit, so we took the advantage for the maiden flight
and made a video:

RC Experimental Rotorwing Rotating Wing with Magnus - Effect * Part 2: Maiden Flight * (3 min 37 sec)

Later on, the weather became really fine, sunshine, no wind, and I tried to fly some aerobatics with my paraglider styled rotorwing.
Enjoy the video and see, how it works:

RC Experimental Rotorwing Rotating Wing with Magnus - Effect * Part 3: Flying Aerobatics * (4 min 32 sec)

Have fun!

flattermann
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:22 PM
Find More Posts by Justo23
right between the batteries
HOLY EFFING AWESOMNESS!!!!

ok, i want one.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by Gonzo 1971
This is BAT country!
Awesome!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:31 PM
Find More Posts by sloper10

+1

I would buy one....
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:11 AM
Find More Posts by vincent123
InceCreations
Congrats! Something completely different, well done !
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:04 AM
On ROTORWING I , the ROTORWING II follows:

Based on the over 60 year old research of the Scottish engineer Alexander Thom and a presentation by Dr. Jost Seifert on the optimization of the Flettner rotary wing using a variety of 'Thom' discs, I have built a second prototype using some essential components of the prototype ROTORWING1.
Now, Instead of 4 rings of 23cm in diameter, the ROTORWING II carries 10 rings with 28cm in diameter and also a vector unit mount of a variable height for different 3D - vector control units. The result should be a remarkable lift-improvement....

By the way, I've written some lines and collected some pictures and video-links about the history of Flettner - RC model aircraft development on my website www.crazyplanes.de / u_rotators.htm (at bottom of the page).

A video of the flight tests will follow, when we have better weather ...

flattermann
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:56 AM
Hi guys,

Yesterday afternoon, the RC - Experimental ROTORWING II (with Thom - Rotor)had it's maiden. To realize the increased lift-potential of the Thom-Rotorwing, I used a stronger 3D - Vector-Unit, thrusting 800 grs.

A video about the maiden you'll find here:

www.crazyplanes.de/rotorwing4.wmv
or
RC Experimental ROTORWING II * Thom Rotating Wing * Part 4: Maiden Flight & Aerobatics * (4 min 12 sec)

A short review of the history of model aircraft with flettner-rotorwings and some interesting infos and (video) links are shown my website (bottom of the page):

www.crazyplanes.de/u_rotators.htm (sorry, but only in German)

Have fun!

brushless
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:44 AM
Find More Posts by Azarr
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
Beautiful job as always. I've been to your site a bit and particularly like the spiral rotorwings.

Azarr
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:50 AM
Just to compare, I built a 4-chamber self-driven SAVONIUS-style Rotorwing and fixed it in the Y-frame of the ROTORWING.
What a surprise:
Better lift & flight performance than Flettner- and Thom-Rotors of the comparable size.
The SAVONIUS-Rotor is made from 6mm DEPRON - foamplates, and the rotor has the same weight than the Flettnerrotor: 150grs.

Total flightweight is 540grs, the used 3D-Vector Unit delivers 650grs. of thrust..

Here's the Maiden - Video:

ROTORWING * Part 5: SAVONIUS-ROTOR * Maiden Flight RC Experimental * (4 min 17 sec)

have fun!

flattermann