Nov 09, 2012, 07:45 PM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
Thread OP
Yippee!

Senior sportwin

SENIOR SPORTWIN built from scratch

The designer or the Super Sportwin Mark Rittenger, designed a wonderful plane. I Built it. Then I thought that it would be nice to have a bigger one. So I mentioned it to Mark that I would like to enlarge the plans to 150%. and build a bigger plane .

He has advised me on the bigger plane details and said that it would be nice to start a separate thread.

So here goes.

I have had the plans enlarged 150% to have a 75" wing span.

I will post pics as I build.

If You have questions please post them.

The designer, Mark will be also be looking at my posts.

The wings are foam with balsa covering and will be available from Bob Hunt at Robins View Productions.

Bill
Last edited by WILLIAM M; Nov 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2012, 07:59 PM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
Thread OP

Senior sportwin

Hi Guys

Here is a look at the plans.
the plans are 5 ft x 9 ft
The ruler is open to 12 in. and 24 in.

Bill
Nov 09, 2012, 08:06 PM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
Thread OP
This is my progress so far after an evening and today.

Bill
Nov 09, 2012, 08:09 PM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
Thread OP
Got some more done this evening

Bill
Nov 09, 2012, 09:05 PM
No Hangar Queens!
subscribed. I want to see this.
Nov 09, 2012, 09:31 PM
Snappy Title On Backorder....
I'm thoroughly interested as well. I'd like to see what we can come up with as far as a consensus on a power system.
Nov 09, 2012, 10:12 PM
Gravity sucks.
Size change are not proportional...so power will not be either.
A 40" span model with 200 sq in doesn't double to one with 80" span and 400 sq in. It would have 800 sq in.
So, with power more than adequate on the SST at nearly 150 watts/lb, I'd say anything in the ballpark of similar numbers would be good.
With a 3" spinner, you can fit REALLY large motors! I'l have to peruse some numbers and see what I think would be good. It's entirely possible that two 3s4000 pcks would work, depending on motor. Also 4s4000 mabe be ok, depending on kV.
One things for sure...she'll be big, fly well, and be REALLY pretty!
Mark
Nov 09, 2012, 10:23 PM
AMA 537620
This sounds like an awesome project. Subscribed.
Nov 09, 2012, 11:52 PM
The SST has 750W available (post 8). A comparable power system for the larger plane would be 750W x (1.5**3) = 2500W (power requirements approximately cube) with 1012 sq in.

That puts it somewhere between two Power 46s at 925W each, and two Power 60's at 1700W each.

Because twins tend to be more efficient, I would probably stick twin Power 46's in mine. It won't be underpowered. This will also save a good bit of weight. OTOH, you can never have too much power

As a point of reference, the E-Flite Deuces WIld is a hotrod on either twin Power 25s or Power 32s at 64" span and 740 sq in.

Andy
Nov 10, 2012, 04:52 AM
No Hangar Queens!
That would be my thinking as well. 46s on 4S would haul the mail on this one.
Nov 10, 2012, 07:59 AM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Bill,

Looking good! I would suggest having a Pepsi can or coffee mug in some shots to show the size. I know it is pretty big but that would show its size.

Denny
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Nov 10, 2012, 12:23 PM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
Thread OP
Hi guys

I have a deuces wild with 2 x 25 motors, and it sure does boogie.
I made the wings 16" longer and added drooped tips. it is near the size of the senior sportwin.

What do you all think about this motor?
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...trunner/Detail

Bill
Nov 10, 2012, 12:48 PM
No Hangar Queens!
That seems like a pretty flexible solution. all the way up to 6S might make things even more interesting. I cannot imagine what 14 pounds of thrust would do to this plane but it would scream for sure.
Nov 10, 2012, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIAM M
What do you all think about this motor?
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...trunner/Detail
I'm partial to E-Flite, since I work for Horizon. What I've found is that our motors are pretty consistently rated to the conservative end of things.

Andy
Nov 10, 2012, 07:12 PM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
Thread OP

Senior sportwin

Hi guys

Here is the update for today. I went flying at the club till noon. the weather was great with very light winds and not a cloud in sight 72 deg.

got to the shop around 2:00 pm and worked till 5:30

I covered the top deck with 1/8 bulsa. I glued the bottom to the fuse, and sprayed it with windex, it rolled over great. cut the extra to the top runner and sanded it flush.

Cut some blocks to put on the top front and the nose. band sawed them while they were square to the radius needed, and used the belt sander to final shape.

It's beginning to look like an airplane. I'm getting excited and don't like to stop working on it

see pic.

Bill
Last edited by WILLIAM M; Nov 10, 2012 at 09:10 PM.

Quick Reply