Dec 08, 2019, 11:53 AM
Battery Puffer
I like to use an electric ice chest. They run off 12 volt source so you can make up a lipo or use your power supply or plug it into the cigarette lighter. I cut off the plug and add a deans plug so I can plug mine into whatever source I want to use. There are many models out there but I just use a cheap one like this. https://www.amazon.com/Wagan-Quart-T...823757&sr=8-18
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2019, 12:47 PM
Dont confuse me with the facts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY
I have to agree. I donít intend to stop overcharging, pushing the C limits or getting anal about DOD. However I was pretty blind to the impact of fast charging cold packs. Thatís one practice I can strike from my list. Donít know if Iíll go so far as to buy a Lipo heater but after spending the better part of 2 days studying Frankís (and some other) work lím seriously considering it.

The other thing I might adopt is bringing my packs down from 3.8 something to 3.7 something. Thatís almost a freebie as far as inconvenience.

I wonít adopt everything but I really like having a better understanding of the chemistry behind it all. Almost 40% of my annual RC $$ go towards Lipoís so I appreciate JJís efforts.

Joe
I will keep mine at 3.85. I believe it is better for the battery unless there is a thermal run away. In which case, they are stored in an ammunition box anyways. Also, if that is going to happen, I would like to know it instead of not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF
I like to use an electric ice chest. They run off 12 volt source so you can make up a lipo or use your power supply or plug it into the cigarette lighter. I cut off the plug and add a deans plug so I can plug mine into whatever source I want to use. There are many models out there but I just use a cheap one like this. https://www.amazon.com/Wagan-Quart-T...823757&sr=8-18
I would like one like that with temperature control, but I canít find one.

Scott
Dec 08, 2019, 02:03 PM
Battery Puffer
The heating side is only designed to keep your food warm or about 40F above ambient. I have never seen one with a dial to control heat. If I'm at an event and my packs are up to temp., I just turn it off for a while. These heat up your packs very slow. So it takes 2 to 3 hours to get them heat socked. It's important that they stay in the oven long enough so the center cells are equalized with the outer ones.
Dec 08, 2019, 02:26 PM
AKA chip coolers, technically Peltier type.

Very energy inefficient compared to 12V compressor style, but cheaper.

Waeco / Dometic TCX Tropicool is an exception
Dec 08, 2019, 05:01 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF
That made it to my Christmas list
40F above ambient is perfect for WA flying weather.

Joe
Dec 08, 2019, 06:00 PM
Just realize very very energy inefficient.

To the point I would not use one off a battery, only where an energy source is active, like while the car's running.

You know how people used to cook food in the engine compartment?

Maybe rig a batt warmer box in there. . .
Dec 08, 2019, 06:20 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
An example of my recent new increase in Li-IQ

Historically when conditioning a new set of packs, more often then not I'll hit them with a 2C charge figuring why not? This time I checked first and my shop (and packs) were at 58F/14C. I'm in no hurry so I cranked the charge down to 0.5C. Another thing I do out of blind habit is add 0.02v to 4.20v charges so I'm sure the packs are "topped off". Since I'm doing new pack conditioning there's no purpose in "oxidizing" anymore lithium then necessary so I dropped the charge -0.02v instead.

It's not much but at least I feel now like I'm going about disintegrating my lipos in a slightly more intelligent manner

Joe
Last edited by MCSGUY; Dec 08, 2019 at 06:27 PM.
Dec 08, 2019, 07:12 PM
Battery Puffer
I think it would take over a day to drain a car battery with one of these. I used my deep cycle battery to charge 6 - 4s 5000s and keep the oven going for a days worth of racing many times.
In the garage, I use my power supply to keep it powered.
Dec 08, 2019, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY
That made it to my Christmas list
40F above ambient is perfect for WA flying weather.

Joe
On your side of the Cascades ...but then again when it gets below freezing I'm more worried about my comfort than my batteries (and I stay in my shop).
Dec 08, 2019, 08:48 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
I talk big but anything under 59F is a no fly day for me

Joe
Dec 08, 2019, 09:36 PM
Most of my aircraft use 12s stick packs mounted on a tray so I'm going to have a find a cooler and use a small animal heater or a heating pad and run it off AC.
Dec 08, 2019, 10:13 PM
Lots of things suck about living in Southern California, but worrying about my lips in cold weather isnít one of them......
Dec 08, 2019, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee
Lots of things suck about living in Southern California, but worrying about my lips in cold weather isnít one of them......
Nuthin' worse than cold lips......
Dec 09, 2019, 06:39 AM
If I didn't fly below 59F, I'd not fly for half the year!

Was in Las Vegas last week for a conference and really wanted to wander out to an edge of town and fly ... The weather was so nice, every day but one.
Dec 09, 2019, 08:52 AM
Dont confuse me with the facts
I am in the windiest part of MN in a low area, so a lot of mosquitos. Last year I shoveled the roof of my house three times, the last time, I did not need anything to help me get on or off the roof. By the time it melted and was dry at the field, it was wind and mosquitos. Last year my flying season was 7 weeks. I was sick 3 of them, but I flew four times. One of the worse populated places in the world for this hobby. But I like the science of it. I bought a battery heater yesterday, but it is for performance, not a longer flying season. It is hard to be a good pilot in an area like this, not enough practice. Some guys at my field are pretty good, but they are all retired.

Scott
Last edited by Scottfpv; Dec 09, 2019 at 08:59 AM.

Quick Reply