Oct 17, 2019, 11:28 AM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
It can be somewhat of a guessing game, that’s why brand trust (or track record) is important. We have to be aware of capacity and real “C” which are both indicated by greater weight.

This past year HK demonstrated a serious commitment to add C based weight across their lines, Dinogy maintained a posture of balancing weight against all the C we really use with superior QC, Hyperion happened upon a lighter weight chemistry that strikes a balance between the two (at a high price) and HobbyStar blew a great start against a QC wall. I would add some nice comments about Lumenier but GetFPV reps lied to me shamelessly on an order so they’re on my naughty list

Joe
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2019, 04:04 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
I'm over HK after this bad Panther pack...
Oct 17, 2019, 04:13 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
I'm over HK after this bad Panther pack...
Did they ever make it good?
I'd have a hard time coming back around myself if I got a batch of bad packs, there's no good excuse for that.

Joe
Oct 17, 2019, 06:26 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Nope. Sitting on a 70c 5000 pack that can hardly handle the amp draw of an LED.
I won't throw more good money at them.

I gotta baby and do not fly as often as I used to, so I dont buy a ton of packs... but from now on I am buying local- Keep it up Mark!
Oct 17, 2019, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John61CT
There is no one metric for "good quality" that applies generally.
Actually, there is. It was developed by Crosby as part of his quality management methodology.

What it states is: "Quality is conformance to the requirements" and it can be applied universally to any product.
Oct 17, 2019, 07:13 PM
Which is in complete agreement with what I wrote, just from another angle.
Oct 17, 2019, 07:33 PM

Lets face it.

Bigger companies KNOW. They do not need a reject to bother with. They let us whine. we drop them. they get some other companies angry customer as a replacement.

I have been there.
Oct 17, 2019, 08:25 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
That’s where the reps and distributors come in. Dinogy gets a lot of it’s US business because Mark makes sure we get what we paid for. Richard had been doing the same for HK but you have to specifically PM him to intercede because otherwise HK’s Lipo customer service is sub standard to say the least. I’ve also had issues with Hyperion, RC Juice (HobbyStar) and GetFPV (Lumenier) and the only one that acted in a dishonest manner was GetFPV. However when I rely on a PayPal claim and don’t let the supplier talk me into closing it prematurely I’ve never not received a refund,

Joe
Oct 17, 2019, 10:10 PM

Dinogy QC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
Nope. Sitting on a 70c 5000 pack that can hardly handle the amp draw of an LED.
I won't throw more good money at them.

I gotta baby and do not fly as often as I used to, so I dont buy a ton of packs... but from now on I am buying local- Keep it up Mark!
I thought someone besides me ought to know this.
From Mark at Dinogy, I have:
4x1300mAh packs with 17cells totaling 22100mAh
1x2200mAh packs with 4cells totaling 8800mAh
8x3300mAh packs with 40cells totaling 132000mAh
8x5200mAh packs with 42cells totaling 218400mAh
6x6600mAh packs with 32cells totaling 211200mAh
That makes 27 batts with 135cells totaling 592500mAh. I have never discarded a Dinogy batt. What matters is that every single cell is great and what I would call matched. They have very few cycles and I take care of them near perfectly, but no one I have ever bought batteries from has even come close to this kind of QC.
Now I know companies make money ripping us off, but I just ordered another 6S6600mAh, 3x5S6600mAh, 6S5200mAh, and 3x5200mAh batts. Well, you will never guess who I ordered them from. So there is money to be made by being the guy not ripping everyone off too. I do not think quality is a luxury or up to chance, rather I expect it. Mark goes beyond my expectations though. In his industry he is the only on to do so, I am now beyond giving others a chance. I don’t usually have brand loyalty, but I don’t like wasting resources either. It’s just my take, but I thought someone might want to know the why.

Scott
Oct 17, 2019, 11:16 PM
I've never had a bad lipo from HK, and I also have over 500k mah, in smaller batteries - so lots more individual batteries..(mostly 4S 1300, 1800, and 2200, but others as well...)

FWIW, I've also never had better customer service. I ordered their little rock crawler and a servo went out on the 10th run or so. I opened a ticket and they said they were sending "a new one". I expected a servo but they sent me a whole second truck. I also had some radio issues and had heard some rumor here at RCG that there were issues between the QX7 or some version of OpenTX and certain D8 receivers. HK refunded me for like 4-5 D8 receivers I'd bought over the previous year and more. (I feel sort of bad about that now, but at the time I was kind of freaking out about what seemed like unexplained radio issues, but which in retrospect were probably BEC-related...)

Anyway, if I'd paid a 100 bucks for some lipo which had issues, I'd be pissed. But I'd fully expect HK to sort it out, and I believe they would. Just open a ticket or contact somebody here at RCG.

And as for where to buy lipos, HK's cost half what the competition does from other sources, and by and large are simply better. So I say keep it up HK.....
Oct 18, 2019, 08:43 AM

For better or worse ?

All hobby products HAVE NO REQUIREMENTS to be built to any specification.

Except to make more profit when possible..... That can mean that any part of a battery can & will be changed when a company sees fit.

New owners ? More profit is a real concern.
Oct 18, 2019, 09:51 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
FWIW, I've also never had better customer service (HobbyKing). I ordered their little rock crawler and a servo went out...
Just for perspective, I've had the exact opposite experience with HK. I ordered a PNP assembled 3D foamy and one of the servos was DOA. I contacted HK and they said I must send a video of the problem so they could diagnose it. I didn't do it because I don't do video. And how valuable can a video be of something that is totally dead and does nothing? So I sent them a photograph. They said since I did not cooperate with their video request, they were closing the ticket. I swore I would never buy from HK again. But I got over it.

Sometime later I contacted an HK rep (Rob?) who is a forum member. He was very apologetic for how I was treated and even though I had already repaired the plane using my own servo, he sent me a generous HK credit for a future purchase.

So I guess that's one vote for HK are good guys and one vote for send them to hell. But definitely a vote to contact Rob if you have a problem. He resides over on the HK thread a lot.
Oct 18, 2019, 10:20 AM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Over the years I’ve never had a satisfactory experience with HK’s customer support unless I’ve PM’d a Rep on RCG and asked for help. Then it’s been handled well. For example my latest experience involved a lipo order I needed to cancel less then an hour after I placed it. (I decided to order a different brand from HK). I was told it was “too late because the order department was very good and the packs were already on the way”.

So I filed a claim with PayPal and shot a PM to Richard who responded and said he took care of it and that I could keep the packs if they arrived (they didn’t). PayPal returned the money to my account.

Regardless, HK’s prices are too good. Even though their customer service people act (to me) like it’s their job to find a way to deny my claims I’m still a happy platinum customer. Occasionally I have to write things off (like a bad servo or occasional lipo with a bad cell) because trying to return it is more trouble then it’s worth but overall I’m money ahead.

If I feel like I just got to have the best customer service experience I call MarkF at Dinogy. He always takes my calls and sometimes I just call him to see what’s new. He sets the customer service standard in our hobby. Over the years I’ve purchased at least 250,000 MAH’s from him and only had one pack arrive with a problem (bad power lead solder joint). Mark offered me a new pack but I told him to keep it and resoldered the joint myself. I’m still using the pack to this day

Joe
Last edited by MCSGUY; Oct 18, 2019 at 10:47 AM.
Oct 18, 2019, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
Just for perspective, I've had the exact opposite experience with HK. I ordered a PNP assembled 3D foamy and one of the servos was DOA. I contacted HK and they said I must send a video of the problem so they could diagnose it. I didn't do it because I don't do video. And how valuable can a video be of something that is totally dead and does nothing? So I sent them a photograph. They said since I did not cooperate with their video request, they were closing the ticket. I swore I would never buy from HK again. But I got over it.

Sometime later I contacted an HK rep (Rob?) who is a forum member. He was very apologetic for how I was treated and even though I had already repaired the plane using my own servo, he sent me a generous HK credit for a future purchase.

So I guess that's one vote for HK are good guys and one vote for send them to hell. But definitely a vote to contact Rob if you have a problem. He resides over on the HK thread a lot.
When was your bad experience?

One thing I have really noticed at RCG is how people have an experience with company X - good, bad, or otherwise - and they think it applies forever. But HK is not the company it was five and more or probably even 3-4 years ago.

Maybe HK is different in the US because they have too many guys trying to rip them off with bogus claims or whatever. I don't know. I'm in Germany and only have positive experiences to report. I'm not a fanboy. Just my experience... (..and if my experience changes so will my opinion...)

Anyway, companies - like circumstances of all sorts - change over time.

The same applies to Horizon btw..... (that goes for service as well as quality, the latter BIG TIME afaic... They have absolutely plummeted in both respects over the last couple years..)

And anyway, as for lipos, I personally don't even bother looking elsewhere. Price and quality simply annihilate the competition - here in Europe anyway. IMO..
Last edited by Herrsavage; Oct 18, 2019 at 10:56 AM.
Oct 18, 2019, 12:27 PM

We are in business to make / take as much money as fast as possible.

So it is.

No company has the time for a unhappy customer. Move on.

Quick Reply