Jun 05, 2019, 05:42 AM
Personally, I support giving the Smart packs a pass. It seems highly unlikely that HH has started doing anything other than what they've done in the past - rebranding mediocre packs. In this case they added a little piece of tech that's nifty for beginners, but there's no real reason to believe the packs themselves are any different ...
to remove ads between posts
Jun 05, 2019, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis
Personally, I support giving the Smart packs a pass. It seems highly unlikely that HH has started doing anything other than what they've done in the past - rebranding mediocre packs. In this case they added a little piece of tech that's nifty for beginners, but there's no real reason to believe the packs themselves are any different ...
I fully expect that the packs are lousy. But I disagree that they shouldnít be tested. HH is the behemoth in the industry. Allowing them to continue to sell crap batteries at hobby shops everywhere does everyone a disservice. HH has become a little too comfortable with their market position lately (140 mph 12+ min Havoc for example) and without data to show their claims are blatant lies, we have no way to put pressure on to make them do better. And their sales numbers will just continue to strengthen their near-monopoly.
Jun 05, 2019, 07:27 AM
Landing is not optional
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryguy
I fully expect that the packs are lousy. But I disagree that they shouldn’t be tested. HH is the behemoth in the industry. Allowing them to continue to sell crap batteries at hobby shops everywhere does everyone a disservice. HH has become a little too comfortable with their market position lately (140 mph 12+ min Havoc for example) and without data to show their claims are blatant lies, we have no way to put pressure on to make them do better. And their sales numbers will just continue to strengthen their near-monopoly.
You know, at first I was against testing a pack that was doomed from the start but after reading your reasoning, I agree pretty much 100%. My only small rebuttal is that HH markets to a type of person that probably isn't in this thread trying to gain REAL lipo knowledge. Majority of their customer base would never be the wiser, they'll just continue buying inferior "Smart" packs at inflated prices.

However... even after my own rebuttal, I still believe they should be tested to have real data on a product from HH.
Last edited by JamesonC; Jun 05, 2019 at 08:26 AM.
Jun 05, 2019, 07:58 AM
There is no reason we should accept a manufacturer such as HH selling batteries of inferior quality at this price point.

And you know what would be great? Finding out that they do have a 35-45C capable pack that comes in sub-700 grams. I’d buy it, despite my less-than-stellar dealings with HH in the past.
Jun 05, 2019, 08:31 AM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Quote:
I fully expect that the packs are lousy. But I disagree that they shouldn’t be tested. HH is the behemoth in the industry. Allowing them to continue to sell crap batteries at hobby shops everywhere does everyone a disservice. HH has become a little too comfortable with their market position lately (140 mph 12+ min Havoc for example) and without data to show their claims are blatant lies, we have no way to put pressure on to make them do better. And their sales numbers will just continue to strengthen their near-monopoly.
I gotta say this really swayed me, it fits what this thread has always been about. Obviously I needed some reminding. Screw whether the leads are only 12 awg (no awesomes here Jack ). If that’s what I receive I’ll video the burn. JamesonC’s correct, HH buyers are often entry level newbe’s but maybe if I post a reveal to my uTube channel it will gain some traction outside of RCG.

Joe
Jun 05, 2019, 09:50 AM
Which one is aileron again?
May I suggest that you take it easy on this pack before you click into the afterburner so we at least get SOME data? ;D
Jun 05, 2019, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Okay, I really can't fault your logic here. Let's test them despite the 12 awg leads and low weight.
Jun 05, 2019, 11:59 AM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype3a
May I suggest that you take it easy on this pack before you click into the afterburner so we at least get SOME data? ;D
Absolutely! I'll do 3 easy get acquainted ~7C cycles then work my way up from 25C in 5C increments until it cries Uncle
(which I'm thinking might not take long)

Joe
Jun 05, 2019, 12:03 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
And see if Horizon will warranty it when it looks like a bag of marshmallows in a microwave
Jun 05, 2019, 12:14 PM
Landing is not optional
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff
And see if Horizon will warranty it when it looks like a bag of marshmallows in a microwave
That's what I want to see! A warranty claim to HH when their 100c lipo self destructed at 25c.
Jun 05, 2019, 12:41 PM
Which one is aileron again?
I wonder if Horizon is getting their packs from MaxAmps.
Jun 05, 2019, 02:35 PM
Jun 05, 2019, 02:49 PM
And maybe, just maybe, the testing will have a salutary effect, as it seems to have had with Hobby King. Embarrass HH into putting pressure on suppliers to up their game, and hopefully to indulge in some truth in labeling.
Jun 05, 2019, 03:41 PM
Donate Platelets
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY
I gotta say this really swayed me, it fits what this thread has always been about. Obviously I needed some reminding. Screw whether the leads are only 12 awg (no awesomes here Jack ). If thatís what I receive Iíll video the burn. JamesonCís correct, HH buyers are often entry level newbeís but maybe if I post a reveal to my uTube channel it will gain some traction outside of RCG.

Joe
Joe,
What is your Youtube name?

Jim
Jun 05, 2019, 04:50 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHSoars
Joe,
What is your Youtube name?

Jim