Oct 25, 2018, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronn
Could anybody recommend a portable IR checker which I can keep in my flight box to check my lipos at the field?
IMO, the issue of checking IR at the field is not to find a portable IR checker but to find consistent measuring conditions for comparable results. Ambient temp at the field changes from day to day and if you don't let pack sit in constant temp for at least 2 hours the measurements can vary a lot. If you just want a quick measure to see if IR is way out of the ordinary then any IR meter will be fine for field use as long as it's consistent and you've measured the packs with that same meter before and know what values to expect.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2018, 02:52 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
This is what I do.
IR should not change from day to day or week to week; at least mine don't as I know before a flight if the bird could damage my pack or not. If so I select another one or don't fly that bird that day. Each bird has the pack cell count, mah size and WOT amps written on it and I usually write this with an ultra fine sharpie under the battery hatch.

I test and document max amps rating and put a date next to this using Wayne's meter every few months or if a pack has not been used in a while I test and document it. I write this on each pack, not in Excel or like apps that may or may not travel with me on that flying day.

I only use my meter at the field to show others how good my packs are and bad theirs are. If I suspect a pack is getting weak for the plane I test it during the week under the 72F rule with the ESR meter.
I ALWAYS store my packs at storage level somewhere between 3.7 and 3.9 volts per cell and in a fridge around 40F. My packs last years but I have to admit, since the Turnigy Graphene (TG) line entered the market I have thinned out my weaker performers. I have yet to wear out a TG but I must admit that I do not fly much in the summer due to >100F. Fall, spring and winter months? I tend to make up for the summer months then.

Rick
Oct 25, 2018, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
No I got mine from the Singapore store. I think the shipping was cheaper and quicker.

UPDATE: It says on the Singapore website

"Most Accurate in the market. Will be available mid June"
but I think that is just left over from when they first announced it. Contact them first to make sure they have them.
Thanks John, just ordered it from Singapore.

Can't wait to check all my batteries!
Oct 25, 2018, 04:06 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
My approach to IR is similar to Rampmans but less thorough. I occasionally check my packs using Waynes meter to look for any deterioration. Generally to confirm any drop off in jet performance I've noticed at the field. I don't think my issues are typically as immediate at the racing quad guy's because I'm not looking at frequent and rapid acceleration requirements.

As much as I hate sounding like a partisan the HK/CNHL Graphenes are the ONLY packs I've not seen any performance degradation in since the day they were new and that includes the first set I purchased from HK the month they first became available. I split my use ~60/40 between the Dinogy V2's and HK's because of weight concerns on some craft. While my Dinogys have proven very satisfactory, better then most they have not provided the flawless reliability I've experienced with the heavier Graphenes.

Joe
Oct 25, 2018, 04:54 PM
Just saw that the 5000mah Raptor Graphenes are back in stock in the US warehouse
Oct 26, 2018, 08:17 AM
I'm interested in either sticking with my current brand of packs (GForce) or switching to Zippy Compacts and I had asked about others experience with the Zippys in the D6 pattern page on Facebook.

It was there that I first really learned about Wayne Giles' ESR meter so I bought one and tested the IR's on my current 10S packs for my pattern plane. These packs are about 18 months old and have 55 flights on them.

The readings seem OK for the age of the pack but I'm going to dig through this thread some more and see if I can't find some good information!
Oct 26, 2018, 09:35 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Ben- go back and recheck the very first post. Joe has updated it with all his latest findings; there you will find the most relevant info in an nice clean summary with plenty of links.
Oct 27, 2018, 09:33 AM
Yeah I just need to spend some time looking through the thread Vapor.

I have some things to learn and this is something I'm just taking an interest in currently.
Oct 29, 2018, 10:21 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_beyer

I have some things to learn and this is something I'm just taking an interest in currently.
Seriously, dont be overwhelmed. Just read the first post. You will be enlightened.

It is presented for the laymen, no need to be an expert to understand.
Oct 30, 2018, 06:25 AM
No worries, just learning form this thread and I need to start by re-reading the first post I guess.
Oct 30, 2018, 06:28 AM
https://hmvc.eu/
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_beyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
Seriously, dont be overwhelmed. Just read the first post. You will be enlightened.

It is presented for the laymen, no need to be an expert to understand.
"This user has a lot of rule violations, so we are hiding their post. Show it to me anyway."

What is this warning for non sense???
I can't see any rule violations!!
Oct 30, 2018, 01:52 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
It is annoying for sure...

Kidding aside, I called out RCG member Chophop for being a Nazi supporter AFTER he admitted he was a Nazi supporter/sympathizer in another thread.

I got points for my honesty, and an immediate suspension from RCG. My posts have been covered ever since.

Not sure what the fuss was about, just calling facts... Chophop did not even dispute the accuracy of my statement, but RCG took offense and threw down the suspension.... funny how that works, eh?
Oct 30, 2018, 02:01 PM
https://hmvc.eu/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
It is annoying for sure...

Kidding aside, I called out RCG member Chophop for being a Nazi supporter AFTER he admitted he was a Nazi supporter/sympathizer in another thread.

I got points for my honesty, and an immediate suspension from RCG. My posts have been covered ever since.

Not sure what the fuss was about, just calling facts... Chophop did not even dispute the accuracy of my statement, but RCG took offense and threw down the suspension.... funny how that works, eh?
Indeed...
It explains at least a bit more... I assumed it was that post, but as I understand it now all your posts are like this.
That's indeed annoying...
Do they tell you for how long it is?
Maybe it's easier to take another account.
Oct 30, 2018, 02:49 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
LOL 90 days!!!!

If someone is a Nazi, and they are not hiding it, I have no problem calling them out.
Nov 04, 2018, 12:37 PM
BVH
BVH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH
At the paragraph just before your recommendation of the second Lipo, I was thinking that I would probably just go back to my original thought of using the second Lipo. So, you made it unanimous! So that's what I will do. Keeps it simple, too.

Thank you and everyone else for their contributions to this mini subject within the larger Lipo performance thread subject. This is why I check in here multiple times per day. It's so much fun!
Quoting myself and just making a last report back. With two Turnigy 3S/6000 mAh Grapheens in Parallel, I got the following on a 25 joule spot weld:

25 Joules delivered
8.64 ms
0.78 milliohms
1888 Amps

So I've reduced the load on each battery to about 942 Amps VS about 1450 on a single battery. It's interesting to see the short lengths of 8 AWG, ultra high strand count cable jump on initiation of the weld.

Quick Reply