This thread is privately moderated by MCSGUY, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 04, 2018, 09:39 PM
Nose down, you're gonna stall
If they build it, we will come. The better mouse trap may cost more but, it also does more for the money. I'm sold on graphenes just from own experience. Maybe I"m just a simple rube consumer who is easily impressed but, when I can abuse a pack down to 3.2 v (resting) and have it survive to charge again normally AND not puff AND perform the same way flight after flight ....I'm impressed enough to buy more ...which I have done and will continue to do until something better comes along. I've been attempting to fly EDFs since the biggest electric jet on the market was a 70mm and 64mm was the norm, all EFD airframes were made of EPS, and the best battery on the market was a 3 cell Zippy rated at 20c which would puff on a warm Texas afternoon sitting on the bench in the shade. I'm tired of the battery importers and manufacturers blowing smoke up my pants legs with marketing hype. Everyone knows C ratings are waaaaay far from the truth. Maybe with the advent of the graphene battery, they'll repent and inject truth into their advertising? I doubt it but, at least now we know they're lying. However, we need to spread the word among the neophytes and make sure they are aware too.

THANKS JOE !
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2018, 10:24 PM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY View Post
This formula worked well for years until Turnigy Graphene appeared and with those it is far too conservative, showing a genuine 50C pack as 32-34C. Presumably this is because they have a very low IR and a low temperature coefficient which is what other makers have not yet attained. Joe
Of course, someone was going to ask,,,

For current owners of Wayne's IR meter, how do we get this formula updated (for a fee) for current graphene batteries?

I guess we could just multiply by 1.5 for "C" and MaxI.
Apr 05, 2018, 01:09 AM
Battery Puffer
Your right Joe and I will edit my post.

Mark
Apr 05, 2018, 06:33 AM
ROV Pilot
Wonder why not anyone is using SLS Quantum..? True 60C rating!
https://translate.googleusercontent....DJFLDLdNJoyfog
Apr 05, 2018, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jijohans View Post
The difference in testing is this person is performing 25 \ 45 \ 65c pulls in pulses vs one continuous load to 3.5v a cell .

Still temps are not bad for complete 98% discharge and 3 second pulls at 325 amps

Price is fair at 130-ish USD before shipping and there are 7s packs available.

worth a look imho
Apr 05, 2018, 08:03 AM
Space Coast USA
The SLS Quantum test took 300s (5 min) which is an average 12C discharge rate. That doesn't support it being a true 65C pack.

A 65C pack discharged at 65C should be empty within 60 sec.

What am I missing here?
Apr 05, 2018, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz-- View Post
Of course, someone was going to ask,,,

For current owners of Wayne's IR meter, how do we get this formula updated (for a fee) for current graphene batteries?

I guess we could just multiply by 1.5 for "C" and MaxI.
Oz,

I have tried several Turnigy Graphenes and they all seem to produce pessimistic figures so a multiplier of 1.5 is probably about right for 65C TGs. It is only a rule of thumb and you should bear in mind that the value it gives is the safe current that you can discharge the pack at from fully charged to fully discharged continuously.
I know that it does not represent practical use but it is a standard test and it is what the “C” rating on a pack is supposed to tell you.
This difference with TGs was immediately noticeable when testing them and suggests that there is a real difference to most other lipos.
The “Lipotool” still works very well for other lipos.

Wayne
Apr 05, 2018, 04:32 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
The difference in testing is this person is performing 25 \ 45 \ 65c pulls in pulses vs one continuous load to 3.5v a cell .
Still temps are not bad for complete 98% discharge and 3 second pulls at 325 amps
worth a look imho
Did you locate a US supplier?

Joe
Apr 05, 2018, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
The SLS Quantum test took 300s (5 min) which is an average 12C discharge rate. That doesn't support it being a true 65C pack.

A 65C pack discharged at 65C should be empty within 60 sec.

What am I missing here?
The tester tested in 3 second 5 second and 7 second pulses IIRC, extending the test but going ll the way to 325 amp pulls for 3 seconds for instance
Apr 05, 2018, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Did you locate a US supplier?

Joe
Not yet, there is one vendor that will ship to the US but I'll have to look again.

They have 7s packs, peaks interest
Apr 05, 2018, 09:27 PM
UMX 3S OG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockrat View Post
I wonder why TG are then clearly better than Turnigy Heavy Duty which are the same weight (and should have similar surface area) but on tests behave clearly different with a voltage increase due to heat up.
Also I've fully discharged 1300mAh TG @ 80A. It stayed above 3.2V and was about 60C degrees hot. Try doing the same with Zippy...

I can't say for HK sales but a less known CNHL facebook page has 4500 followers. If each places 2 orders per year it makes it 40 orders per working day. And that's only outside China (where facebook is blocked)...
So I bet they keep low prices due to high volume
those guys sell lots of batteries that's for sure!
Apr 05, 2018, 09:30 PM
UMX 3S OG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jijohans View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post

worth a look imho
I'm not sure if these are the same SLS packs, but someone I know has set some records with SLS and his packs were brought into the States from a friend of his.
I have tried locating a US seller for a while now
Apr 05, 2018, 09:38 PM
UMX 3S OG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdyjoe View Post
If they build it, we will come. The better mouse trap may cost more but, it also does more for the money. I'm sold on graphenes just from own experience. Maybe I"m just a simple rube consumer who is easily impressed but, when I can abuse a pack down to 3.2 v (resting) and have it survive to charge again normally AND not puff AND perform the same way flight after flight ....I'm impressed enough to buy more ...which I have done and will continue to do until something better comes along. I've been attempting to fly EDFs since the biggest electric jet on the market was a 70mm and 64mm was the norm, all EFD airframes were made of EPS, and the best battery on the market was a 3 cell Zippy rated at 20c which would puff on a warm Texas afternoon sitting on the bench in the shade. I'm tired of the battery importers and manufacturers blowing smoke up my pants legs with marketing hype. Everyone knows C ratings are waaaaay far from the truth. Maybe with the advent of the graphene battery, they'll repent and inject truth into their advertising? I doubt it but, at least now we know they're lying. However, we need to spread the word among the neophytes and make sure they are aware too.

THANKS JOE !
Fully agree.

also very thankful for Joe's continued testing!
Apr 06, 2018, 10:45 PM
Quote:
I'll look forward to it and I'd be happy to provide you with an advance preview before I post the results.
I'm not averse to getting a sample, although I do prefer paying to avoid any misunderstandings.

Joe
In France, we have a consumer association who purchases ALL its products anonymously in shop , even the cars at more 60 000 $ who passes crash test and who go to the trash after to prevent the manufacturer sending an improved product for the test.......
Last edited by cri.cri56; Apr 06, 2018 at 10:55 PM.
Apr 07, 2018, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cri.cri56 View Post
In France, we have a consumer association who purchases ALL its products anonymously in shop , even the cars at more 60 000 $ who passes crash test and who go to the trash after to prevent the manufacturer sending an improved product for the test.......
Sounds similar to Consumer's Union here in the US.

Quick Reply