This thread is privately moderated by MCSGUY, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 20, 2019, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Giles
Years back asked a computer psu supplier if he could tell me the current ratings of the 5V and 12V outputs on a 600W psu and he just told me it was 600W but the DC output ratings were rms!
Perhaps a tacit admission of an insane amount of ripple?

Mark
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2019, 01:35 AM
ancora imparo
Not to mention the poor sap was definitely trying to BS the wrong person!

BTW: Joe I will post the Revo results when I get round to it but with the proviso that I ended up with just a single pack and that doesn't meet my pretty basic 3-Sextant standards of "representativeness" so the results will be interesting but not conclusive.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth
Perhaps a tacit admission of an insane amount of ripple?

Mark
Aug 21, 2019, 02:33 AM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Anybody wishing to read the conclusion of my latest saga with the Hypster
can read the last page of his thread.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9-2020-Formula

Joe
Aug 21, 2019, 02:46 AM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
Joe I will post the Revo results when I get round to it but with the proviso that I ended up with just a single pack and that doesn't meet my pretty basic 3-Sextant standards of "representativeness" so the results will be interesting but not conclusive.

John
I find the only thing conclusive about Lipo testing is getting a handle on which suppliers it’s relatively safe to trust.

Joe
Aug 21, 2019, 05:43 AM
Out of curiosity, do you have the IR readings from when those packs were new? It'd help to confirm the whole A/A- thing if one of them started off a bit higher (and be interesting as a relative difference to now kind of thing...).

The misunderstanding over the averaging of 10 readings is just funny.

FWIW - bought 3 Roaring Top packs a year and a half ago after the first round of these tests. Those three packs now have 40 flights each on them and are still going strong with no noticeable performance change. (~3 minute flights to storage, standard charging, so something like 30C average discharge rate, although I tend to fly them hard for the first minute or so then back off). I couldn't be happier with these, and love this testing thread.
Aug 21, 2019, 09:53 AM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Glad to have you aboard Atreis. No, I’m afraid I didn’t do an IR record when they were new. In retrospect that was a mistake.

Joe
Aug 21, 2019, 11:55 AM
Educating - One at a Time
Joe,

Have you ever tested Opti-Power, which are quite popular with the European heli pilots? Any idea if they can be charged to 4.35v/cell?
Aug 21, 2019, 12:43 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaTrey
Joe,

Have you ever tested Opti-Power, which are quite popular with the European heli pilots? Any idea if they can be charged to 4.35v/cell?
I know Heli pilots who used Opti-power until they started using the Graphenes. Their opinion is the Opti's didn't hold a candle to the Graphenes. The Opti's I tested in the past were middle of the road performers.

Joe
Aug 21, 2019, 07:25 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Hey guys, was I too hard on HyperionRocks? I detest bullies and am concerned I was a little too aggressive. He's in a tough situation.

I know I'm opening myself up here for some criticism but there's a balance between being a voice and being an a$$ and I'd rather know the truth if I pushed too hard.

Joe
Aug 21, 2019, 07:27 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY
Hey guys, was I too hard on HyperionRocks? I detest bullies and am concerned I was a little too aggressive. He's in a tough situation.

I know I'm opening myself up here for some criticism but there's a balance between being a voice and being an a$$ and I'd rather know the truth if I pushed too hard.

Joe
Well, when I read your last paragraph, I found it to be rather curt, and a bit off-putting. Maybe reword it to be a bit less dismissive?
Aug 21, 2019, 07:30 PM
User Registered
I’d have accepted his offer of trying to right the situation. You have one pack that doesn’t perform as well as the others. That’s not enough data IMO to say there are widespread quality issues or a bigger problem. And without initial IR data I don’t think you can say conclusively the pack was bad from the get go.
Aug 21, 2019, 07:54 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin
Well, when I read your last paragraph, I found it to be rather curt, and a bit off-putting. Maybe reword it to be a bit less dismissive?
Yeah, that's,probably why it's been bothering me today. I took offense at the "benefit of the doubt" phrase and over reacted. HR's in a tough position and I displayed a real lack of grace. Think I'll go do a little mea culpa so my conscience will calm down

Joe
Aug 21, 2019, 08:13 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Copy of my post to HR's thread:

"@HyperionRocks, I wish to formally apologize for my last post being overly harsh. I have edited the last statement to reflect my appreciation for the effort you have made on my behalf. I know you are in a difficult situation and I regret I did not extend you the same courtesy I would have wanted were I in your place."

Joe
Aug 21, 2019, 08:27 PM
Yah, kinda what I was trying to say and you posted very vehemently, IMO bit much righteous avenger DA tone.

High expectations are fine and good, but IMO any vendor honestly trying to deliver good value, cut 'em some slack, sometimes perfect's enemy of the good. . .
Aug 21, 2019, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY
Glad to have you aboard Atreis. No, I’m afraid I didn’t do an IR record when they were new. In retrospect that was a mistake.

Joe
Joe,

I'm surprised you don't have a Revo PL Charger for just this reason. With their "Bumpcharger" RFID tags the charger will graph and save the charge characteristics of every charge of every battery so you can go back and review at any time. Furthermore you can set limits for IR and capacity so if a battery drops below the threshold it will alert you. I actually had several new Revo packs where the charger alerted me on he first charge that my 2600 mAh packs were only charging to a little over 2200 mAh. It's often nice to compare a current IR or capacity graph to the first one to see how a pack is holding up.

Quick Reply