This thread is privately moderated by MCSGUY, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 29, 2021, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Here is a recent video flying my 12S 6000mAh 50C HRB packs
Nice mix of maneuvers.
Good job...
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2021, 01:53 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Thanks
Nov 29, 2021, 02:16 PM
https://youtube.com/RC4ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobster
This was on the official Chinahobbyline webshop where you now and then get the G+ 70C for around 60€ on different sales, but this one was a steal, so no typo.
Ah... CNHL webpage... that explains it. I was buying on Aliexpress.
Nov 30, 2021, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldopn
I've been flying HRBs for a while in my 3D planes and have many 6S 4000 and 6000mAh packs.
I knew from Joe's tests that HRBs are among the lowest performing batteries but they are one of the very few options I have to import from Brazil (at least for a reasonable price).
I never bothered measuring IR as I always understood chargers did not provide accurate readings thus you needed an ESR meter for the job.

BTW, I just tried checking IR now to compare with your numbers but it seems like my ISDT Q8 Max doesn't have this feature.

Ronaldo
Maybe your Q8 Max charger is not the same as my Q8 smart charger, but when charging if I press the down arrow on mine I do get internal resistance shown for each cell. Here is a quick snap showing this when putting a small charge into a very old [like 12 years maybe] 3s2200 Lipo. I wonder if yours has this feature. It certainly does according to the instructions that I just downloaded from the iSDT site.
Last edited by krafty; Nov 30, 2021 at 05:34 AM.
Nov 30, 2021, 06:21 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Quote:
Originally Posted by krafty
Maybe your Q8 Max charger is not the same as my Q8 smart charger, but when charging if I press the down arrow on mine I do get internal resistance shown for each cell. Here is a quick snap showing this when putting a small charge into a very old [like 12 years maybe] 3s2200 Lipo. I wonder if yours has this feature. It certainly does according to the instructions that I just downloaded from the iSDT site.
My fault, I did check the manual and saw the IR function was available but I didn't read the note saying it needs to be in balancing charge mode (which is quite obvious since you need current flowing to measure IR )
I did a quick check now in one of the HRB 6S 6000mAh 50C packs at around 25°C.
Anyway, since I have many packs and always parallel charge this is not a very practical way for me to measure IR.
Ronaldo
Dec 01, 2021, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldopn
My fault, I did check the manual and saw the IR function was available but I didn't read the note saying it needs to be in balancing charge mode (which is quite obvious since you need current flowing to measure IR )
I did a quick check now in one of the HRB 6S 6000mAh 50C packs at around 25°C.
Anyway, since I have many packs and always parallel charge this is not a very practical way for me to measure IR.
Ronaldo
Nope, my Q8 shows resistance also in charging mode as per (I hope) my image in my previous post. The problem for me is that the manual just mentions the touch screen and not how to access the information. My Q8 has proved to be a pain in the butt, giving error messages about incorrect battery and other rubbish despite there being no errors at all. It has been relegated to a spare on-field charger that I may never need!
Dec 01, 2021, 12:30 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Contact Rampman and see what he’ll sell you an ESR Meter for. They’re the gold standard IMO.

Joe
Dec 01, 2021, 06:39 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Thanks Joe but since I have very limited options of LiPo brands, checking IR may only get me frustrated. Also, I already spend a lot of time calculating setups, winding motors and now even testing everything on my test stand. I really don't want to add an extra task.
I'll probably be happier if I continue living with my IR ignorance
Ronaldo
Dec 01, 2021, 06:55 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Quote:
Originally Posted by krafty
Nope, my Q8 shows resistance also in charging mode as per (I hope) my image in my previous post. The problem for me is that the manual just mentions the touch screen and not how to access the information. My Q8 has proved to be a pain in the butt, giving error messages about incorrect battery and other rubbish despite there being no errors at all. It has been relegated to a spare on-field charger that I may never need!
Sorry to hear you're having bad experiences with it.
I've had 2 ISDT Q8 Max for a while and so far both have been working great. I routinely parallel charge my 6S 6000mAh packs at 30A with them without issues.
Ronaldo
Dec 05, 2021, 02:22 PM
we can take off without that
Was the Spektrum 5000mah 100C in the latest test spreadsheet a G1 or G2 please?
Dec 05, 2021, 03:20 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer
Was the Spektrum 5000mah 100C in the latest test spreadsheet a G1 or G2 please?
It is my understanding all Spektrum G2 batteries have done away with the industry standard balance plug in favor of a proprietary arrangement which requires the use of their chargers. I did order one by mistake for the last testing series and returned it with some very harsh comments regarding their MO which it to lock users into having to use inferior products sold for exorbitant prices.

I have no doubt whether it's G1 or G2 the caliber won't be be much different then what the posted tests show for the G1.

Joe
Dec 05, 2021, 04:26 PM
Amazing they would drop that connector isn't it Joe?
Dec 05, 2021, 04:44 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Update on the SMC 6200 co-op purchasing buy: The packs are on the way to me from SMC so I expect them to arrive before the end of the coming week. We were not hit by any HongKong shipping upcharges so my final cost was in fact the $123.20 per pack I mentioned. Shipping from me to you is USPS flat rate, $8 for single packs (small), $16 for 2-4 (medium) and $22 for 5-6 (large) [ref. https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail.htm ]

When making payment please use the "Friends and Family" option or add 3.5% to cover the Paypal points. My ID is giamona@comcast.net

As a part of contributing the coordination for this effort I'll be pre-screening packs by performing a charge, 5C discharge cycle to verify general cell matching and basic functionality.

Joe
Dec 05, 2021, 04:54 PM
When would you like payment Joe?
I asked for 6 x packs so $739.20 plus $22 shipping = $761.20 if my figuring is correct.

Don't want you to be out of pocket or incur any interest charges, etc.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to us all!

Tim Beghtol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY View Post
Update on the SMC 6200 co-op purchasing buy: The packs are on the way to me from SMC so I expect them to arrive before the end of the coming week. We were not hit by any HongKong shipping upcharges so my final cost was in fact the $123.20 per pack I mentioned. Shipping from me to you is USPS flat rate, $8 for single packs (small), $16 for 2-4 (medium) and $22 for 5-6 (large) [ref. https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail.htm ]

When making payment please use the "Friends and Family" option or add 3.5% to cover the Paypal points. My ID is giamona@comcast.net

Joe
Dec 05, 2021, 05:02 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBeghtol View Post
When would you like payment Joe?
I asked for 6 x packs so $739.20 plus $22 shipping = $761.20 if my figuring is correct.
Don't want you to be out of pocket or incur any interest charges, etc.
Thanks and Happy Holidays to us all!

Tim Beghtol
Yes, that's the correct total based on F&F payment. If you send it now that guaranty's yours will be the first order screened and shipped after the packs land on my porch.

Joe

Quick Reply