Feb 17, 2016, 02:23 AM
No, I slice only enough of the original foam hinge to slide the three Kevlar strips through.
And yes, it is a little tricky. I'm still using 3M Super77 adhesive just to tack it down before
I apply CA, but because it's going through sharp turns, the Kevlar sometimes tries to pull
itself loose. When done properly though, it is extremely solid.
It's a lot easier to do tension hinges with tape, but a lot of tapes don't stick to EPO foam that well.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2016, 02:29 PM
I have seen hot melt glue smeared over the area to provide a hinge like surface as well.
Feb 17, 2016, 05:37 PM
Not quite sure what that means. Hot melt glue is generally not flexible enough to be a hinge.
You talking about using hot melt glue to bond some other hinge material?
Feb 17, 2016, 05:46 PM

Nice video

nice video Daemon, brings me to a beginners question. Sky walker sky hunter, wing for FPV beginner. thanks
Feb 17, 2016, 05:52 PM
I still recommend Skywalker for beginners. I had a ton of fun with mine.
Feb 17, 2016, 07:13 PM

which plane

did the question ever get answered how fast the sky hunter can cruise, the sky walker, and the fpv wing? i am used to 3s batteries. long flights out and back the wing is fastest but what is a good cruise speed for the wing and not eat up battery power compared to sky hunter and sky walker. thanks
Feb 17, 2016, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch flyer
did the question ever get answered how fast the sky hunter can cruise, the sky walker, and the fpv wing? i am used to 3s batteries. long flights out and back the wing is fastest but what is a good cruise speed for the wing and not eat up battery power compared to sky hunter and sky walker. thanks
the answers to your questions depend on all the variables you didn't mention.
Feb 17, 2016, 08:38 PM
Quote:
the answers to your questions depend on all the variables you didn't mention. the shape of the aircraft, power system, etc, all play a factor in determining efficient or max speed. you can have a pretty wide range for traditional plane or flying wing.
Feb 17, 2016, 11:24 PM

which plane

i have read that the Sky Walker is slow about 25 to 30 mph is that about right for that plane and could that be the average cruise range i could expect to conserve the batteries for the most distance? next the Sky Hunter,have not herd on this forum what the cruise speed is for this plane but i read that it is normally faster. What could be considered average cruise speed? Wings i no are very fast and surely have a faster cruise speed, i'm guessing because of less drag then conventional planes. Just trying to get a basic speed range per distance per battery usage. Daemon already told me the Sky Walker is best for a beginner FPV plane out of the three. I trust his opinion as he has had all three planes before and has a lot of flying time with each. Just wanted to compare. I understand there are many variables but useing same conditions for all, weaher, heat, wind, so on and soforth. .thanks for the help. bob
Feb 17, 2016, 11:24 PM
KI7CBF
Thanks to everyone who piped in on my last question about gimbals. It sounds like a 3D gimbal is useful, I should plan on putting my GoPro on it, and I'll need a separate fixed flight cam.

One thing nobody answered - does anyone have a 3D gimbal they can highly recommend?
Feb 18, 2016, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Not quite sure what that means. Hot melt glue is generally not flexible enough to be a hinge.
You talking about using hot melt glue to bond some other hinge material?
Just something I saw on a Flight Test Video. They dribbled hot melt over the hinge area and using a small block of foam, quickly spread it out down the length of the hinge to a very thin film. Probably OK for a park flyer not so much for the SH though
Feb 18, 2016, 12:08 AM
@ Patch Flyer. Hi, you really can't go wrong with the SkyWalker. I've done hundreds of flights with mine and still love it. The Sky Hunter, having said that, is even MORE fun but a bit bigger to cart around. For a long range bird I'd be looking at a Talon/Mini Talon/Twin Star or Anaconda. The SH will do long range for sure but for me it's all about the fun factor. The SW is more vulnerable to the wind conditions than the SH but a well planned flight should get you out a long way.
Feb 18, 2016, 07:40 AM
Quote:
i have read that the Sky Walker is slow about 25 to 30 mph is that about right for that plane and could that be the average cruise range i could expect to conserve the batteries for the most distance? next the Sky Hunter,have not herd on this forum what the cruise speed is for this plane but i read that it is normally faster. What could be considered average cruise speed? Wings i no are very fast and surely have a faster cruise speed, i'm guessing because of less drag then conventional planes. Just trying to get a basic speed range per distance per battery usage. Daemon already told me the Sky Walker is best for a beginner FPV plane out of the three. I trust his opinion as he has had all three planes before and has a lot of flying time with each. Just wanted to compare. I understand there are many variables but useing same conditions for all, weaher, heat, wind, so on and soforth. .thanks for the help. bob
I have 3 different SkyWalkers, the good old 1680 v6, the 1900mm wing with traditional fuse, and the 1720mm wing with carbon tail. Thay are all good planes, but quite different. The 1900mm winged one IS quite the slow flyer, but the two others will move along if asked to.

But let's end the SkyWalker discussion here (in the SkyHunter thread) and get back on topic
Feb 18, 2016, 09:27 AM
Kamikaze Ace
Beacon Foam Tac makes great flexible hinges. I didn't wait for the foam to tear at the hinge line. Flexed the hinges to loosen them, then holding the control surface down, I laid a bead of BFT on the hinge line and spread it across the valley with a finger tip. Let it dry and did the other side. There are some videos on YouTube showing how to reattach something like an aileron just using BFT.
Feb 18, 2016, 09:43 AM
I haven't tried the SkyWalker but obviously it's popular for a reason and also won't break the bank. I own the SH, Penguin, Raptor and a wide range of wings including the Drak. While the SH is the bulkiest to cart around, i find it also is the most predictable to fly. Super easy to launch vs. wings, can fly light or heavy, can handle wind very well, lands gently and has a wide speed envelope. I'm still experimenting with my Drak (and likely will be for a year) but so far my SH is my go-to FPV platform. I always know that I won't be wasting my precious free time taking that thing out.

Quick Reply