Nov 04, 2012, 10:23 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

My new Bixler 2 seems too heavy!

Hi Guys

I just bought my Bixler 2 and I flew it yesterday. It has been a long time since I flew my last nitro airplane, so I'm getting used with it again (now electrics)!

Primeiro voo do meu Bixler 2 (1 min 3 sec)

So, I felt my bixler had a little bit difficult to climb. I hadn't put anything inside the airframe (FPV), only the ESC, Batt and RX. Have I done anything wrong? Did you guys felt the same with the stock motor/prop?

I'm thinking to make a modification, like the one in this video:
Bixler 2 Motor Upgrade (Part 1) (3 min 31 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2012, 11:21 AM
characters welcome!
Why do you think it is too heavy? Have you properly balanced the plane per the instructions? It makes all the difference in the world.

mw
Nov 04, 2012, 11:21 AM
I had problems the first time on my Bixler 2 as well. It turns out I had the propeller on backwards. Turing it about solved the issue for me. The leading edge should be the fatter/ straighter edge.
Nov 04, 2012, 11:23 AM
characters welcome!
That too.

mw
Nov 04, 2012, 11:28 AM
Thread OP
Mark... I do swear that I did the CG balancing acoording to the manual. But I not so sure that I did it properly! lol I will do a recheck on it! Thank you very much!

btown2... Thank you! I will check it as soon as I get home! Lately I will report it.

By the way guys, is there any kind of travel adjustment for the control surfaces? I mean, how much degrees (or millimeters) should be fine for airlerons, elevators, rudder and Flaps?

Thanks guys!
Nov 04, 2012, 01:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by btown2
I had problems the first time on my Bixler 2 as well. It turns out I had the propeller on backwards. Turing it about solved the issue for me. The leading edge should be the fatter/ straighter edge.
Help me... Lets suppose that I did assemble the propeller on backwards, The Bixler wouldn't fly right? Would it? I mean, if the propeller is rotation backwards the airplane should never lift off. Right? Am I wrong? Or are you saying that the propellers is backwards and the motor is rotating in opposite direction as it should be?

Looking at the back of the bixler, should the propeller rotate at which direction? Could you help me with some pictures?

Regards!
Nov 04, 2012, 03:12 PM
Senile Member
A propeller blows air in the same direction even when it is on backwards. It just does it very inefficiently. So your Bixler will fly with the propeller on forwards or backwards without the motor being reversed. It will just fly very poorly with the propeller on backwards.

Larry
Nov 04, 2012, 05:11 PM
Mine came with about a ton of washers glued in the nose. I was able to remove those, and put a 1300 3s as far forward as possible. Very little additional weight was needed to get CG.
Nov 04, 2012, 06:11 PM
Thread OP
I wondering I can remove those washers in my ARF version. I want to put a gopro, those washers are waste of weight!
Nov 04, 2012, 07:49 PM
Mine was the plug and play version. I used a large hemostat to get them out, but it was tough not to damage anything.

I saw on a thread later that running some hot water up in the nose can soften the glue and make the job easier.

I was amazed at the amount of weight they had in there, especially after finding the plane can be balanced by getting the battery up in the front of the nose.

Anyway, I'd remove them. Dead weight when you don't have to seems like a waste.
Nov 04, 2012, 09:47 PM
Thread OP
I did check my bixler just right now. I take a picture of it. The red arrow is the rotation direction.

The prop seems to be backwards according to the picture. Right? I did change the prop side, now the bixler seems much more responsive. Could it be? Or is it a wrong feeling?

I have to wait until the next weekend to test it!!

Thanks!!!
Last edited by aguilera_br; Nov 04, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
Nov 04, 2012, 09:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinTD
Mine was the plug and play version. I used a large hemostat to get them out, but it was tough not to damage anything.

I saw on a thread later that running some hot water up in the nose can soften the glue and make the job easier.

I was amazed at the amount of weight they had in there, especially after finding the plane can be balanced by getting the battery up in the front of the nose.

Anyway, I'd remove them. Dead weight when you don't have to seems like a waste.
I inspected my bixler's nose and it seems have no washers. Is it possible? Could my ARF version came without the washers installed in?
Nov 04, 2012, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguilera_br
I did check my bixler just right now. I take a picture of it. The red arrow is the rotation direction.

The prop seems to be backwards according to the picture. Right? I did change the prop side, now the bixler seems much more responsive. Could it be? Or is it a wrong feeling?

I have to wait until the next weekend to test it!!

Thanks!!!
In this picture the prop is on backwards. This is exactly what was wrong with mine. One I turned it around I was able to climb without issues.
Nov 04, 2012, 09:58 PM
Must be possible, if it didn't have them. I guess they must not put them in all of them.

Anyway, regarding the prop, the numbers should face the front of the airplane. It looks to me to be on backwards, but look for the numbers.

If on backwards, the plane will likely fly, but won't have much for thrust/power.
Nov 04, 2012, 10:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinTD
Must be possible, if it didn't have them. I guess they must not put them in all of them.

Anyway, regarding the prop, the numbers should face the front of the airplane. It looks to me to be on backwards, but look for the numbers.

If on backwards, the plane will likely fly, but won't have much for thrust/power.
The number was facing to the back of the plane, so it was backwards! Now it is facing correctly to the front of the plane! Thank you!

About the washers: I looked thru the nose using a bright light and I could see any thing blocking the light. Is there any possibility to see them just looking to the nose inside the cockpit?

Quick Reply