Nov 03, 2012, 02:09 PM
Aspiring Weekend Flyer:-)
Thread OP
New Product

Heli-Max Axe 100 CP Flybarless 2.4GHz

I didn't see any thread for this and I just bought one to learn to fly a CP helicopter.

It comes in two versions - RTF use a Tactic transmitter and receiver for $200 and a Tx-R version, where you hook up AnyLink 2.4GHz Radio Adapter to various transmitters from what I see. The Tx-R version goes for $160.

Highlights
•Fully assembled and detailed Axe 100 body
•Flybarless head design
•TAGs (Triple Axis Gyro stabilization)
•200mAh 1S LiPo flight battery and charger
•2nd flight battery — charge while you fly!
•Extra set of main and tail rotor blades, linkages and screwdriver

HeliDirect, Hobby Zone and Tower Hobbies are curently carrying what looks like the full list of replacement parts for the heli. I haven't had time to verify against the manual.

INCLUDES: Tactic AnyLink SLT 2.4GHz Radio Adapter http://tacticrc.com/tacj2000.html
Cable for Futaba transmitters with square trainer jack (except 12Z,14MZ, 18MZ and 4YF on 2.4GHz).
Cable for JR, Spektrum DX6, DX6i, DX7, and Graupner MX-1 transmitters.
Two pieces of hard locking mounting strips

SPECS:
Compatible Aircraft Transmitters: Futaba, Hitec, JR, Spektrum, Graupner with trainer/DSC jack
Compatible Receivers: Tactic brand 2.4GHz SLT receivers (TR624, TACL0624; TR324, TACL0324) Transmitter-Ready (Tx-R) aircraft
Frequencies: 2.403-2.480GHz
Modulation: FHSS spread spectrum
Range: 1,000 feet maximum (304.8 meters)
Input Power: Received from host transmitter or optional Power Adapter
Input Connection: Universal servo connector
Power On Indicator: LED
Inactivity Alarm: Tones sound after 4 minutes of TX inactivity
Output Power: <0.1W
Antenna: External, rotatable and foldable
Case Dimensions: 2.5 x 1.4 x 0.5" (64 x 36 x 12mm)
Weight: 0.85oz (24g)
Mounting Method: Hard locking fastening strips

Link to Nick Maxwell reviewing the kit and flying in his barn. Nice to see he crashes it and keeps flying with it.
Nick Maxwell Axe 100 overview and flying in the barn (9 min 4 sec)

I have been trying off and on for a long time to learn to fly a RC CP Heli. I think this will be what I need to finally accomplish it.

Figure out why the video wasn't working. My Internet Explorer 9 wasn't playing the videos. I can see it posted just fine with Google Chrome.
Last edited by WEFlyer; Nov 03, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2012, 04:03 PM
Mine's on the way from Tower along with an Anylink for my 14MZ. Been waiting for a micro CP heli that I could bind to my current radio for some time now. Looking forward to getting it.
Nov 03, 2012, 08:13 PM
It is a rebrand of the Nine Eagles 125a. There is a thread on it

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1555704

What is new is the Anylink adapter. It may be worth checking whether the transmitter the RTF package uses the Anylink protocol or not.

The price is not expensive considering you can get spares from your LHS.
Nov 03, 2012, 08:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfalcons
Mine's on the way from Tower along with an Anylink for my 14MZ. Been waiting for a micro CP heli that I could bind to my current radio for some time now. Looking forward to getting it.
I'll being binding to a Futaba 7C. Seems most of the micro helis you are stuck either with that brand's transmitter or a BNF Spectrum transmitter. It would be nice if you could use other brand transmitters as I see models I would like to be but I don't need a bunch of different transmitters. I have enough to learn with just my 7C.
Nov 03, 2012, 08:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw
It is a rebrand of the Nine Eagles 125a. There is a thread on it

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1555704

What is new is the Anylink adapter. It may be worth checking whether the transmitter the RTF package uses the Anylink protocol or not.

The price is not expensive considering you can get spares from your LHS.
Here is the link to Tactic AnyLink.
http://tacticrc.com/tacj2000.html

It can link with Futaba, Hitec, JR, Spectrum, Tower Hobbies and Graupner. You need the correct cable. The two cables that come with it are for Futaba, JR, Graupner and Spectrum. An additional cable would have to be purchased for the other brands.

I'll check out the thread you provided. There was a post at another popular heli site I visit where the guy got to do a lot of testing in the store with a lot of bumping around which lead to me deciding to get this one. Particularly when I found 3 online sites carrying all the parts and I could bind it to my Futaba without having to get a whole different transmitter.
Nov 06, 2012, 06:50 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Hello,

I used a Futaba 7C and it bonded perfectly, and it flies good except for a little tail jitter. I'll have to check the other thread to see if anyone else has the same problem.

Rockitglider
Nov 06, 2012, 07:28 PM
Saw one of these today at my lhs. Looks NICE and well built! I love these little helis and already have a Blade MCPX, Nano CPX and 130X. Might have to get one of these to round out the fleet!

How's the power? I like the Nano because it has a good power to weight ratio for flipping but it could use a little more power and I've had bad luck with the stock brushed motor not lasting long. I love the MCPX, it flys with a lot of stability but it doesn't flip very well.

Was hoping that perhaps this heli's flipping performance is somwhere between the MCPX and the Nano...

Pete
Nov 07, 2012, 10:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood
How's the power? I like the Nano because it has a good power to weight ratio for flipping but it could use a little more power and I've had bad luck with the stock brushed motor not lasting long. I love the MCPX, it flys with a lot of stability but it doesn't flip very well.

Was hoping that perhaps this heli's flipping performance is somwhere between the MCPX and the Nano...

Pete
From what I read in another forum, not enough for tick-tock's but it can do half piro flips, hurricane's, upright and inverted, flips and rolls one after the other if you management the collective. The person that wrote seems to have just about broken in the motor.

He said it handled crashes well which is what I need being a beginner for CP flying. Various folks like the way it hovered.
Nov 07, 2012, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEFlyer
From what I read in another forum, not enough for tick-tock's but it can do half piro flips, hurricane's, upright and inverted, flips and rolls one after the other if you management the collective. The person that wrote seems to have just about broken in the motor.

He said it handled crashes well which is what I need being a beginner for CP flying. Various folks like the way it hovered.
Thank you for the feedback! After doing some research, I think I'm going to stay away. The Nine Eagles version had a lot of reliability issues and it's hard to beat the Blade supply line of plentiful parts...

I'm really liking these small helis though! Makes flying out your front door feasibly and productive to learn new things.

Pete
Nov 08, 2012, 06:19 PM
Just got the first two flights in on mine and I like it! It flips well but the roll is a little slow. Power is pretty good for a little guy, and the three axis gyro does a very good job holding the heli steady even in a light breeze. I'm going to have some fun with this one.
Nov 08, 2012, 06:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood
Thank you for the feedback! After doing some research, I think I'm going to stay away. The Nine Eagles version had a lot of reliability issues and it's hard to beat the Blade supply line of plentiful parts...

I'm really liking these small helis though! Makes flying out your front door feasibly and productive to learn new things.

Pete
Your welcome. Hopefully this version won't be so bad as to reliability. Certainly the Nine Eagle versions have a lot of posting to its sticky thread so evidently not bad enough to keep people away from it.

So far, seems folks are giving the HeliMax good hits and it is holding up well. I figure I will have to replace the motor at some point since it is a brushed motor but all mciros seem to come that way. I looked at the Blade but it seems you can only use a Spectrum radio with it. At least this one had the Anylink so I could fly with my Futaba radio.

I do hope I get to learn with it and it helps me get ready to fly for when I build a 450 kit.
Nov 08, 2012, 06:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfalcons
Just got the first two flights in on mine and I like it! It flips well but the roll is a little slow. Power is pretty good for a little guy, and the three axis gyro does a very good job holding the heli steady even in a light breeze. I'm going to have some fun with this one.
Thanks for the post. Hoping to have some fun with this one myself. Do think the roll rate could be adjust with settings in the radio?
Nov 08, 2012, 06:43 PM
I'm hoping so. I had the aileron rate at the recommended 100 for the first flight and 110 for the second flight. I believe there was a small improvement, so I'll keep adding a bit of aileron and see how it goes.

I would say that if you can fly a normal heli (beyond a coax), that you can probably just skip the low rates and run high rates full time. I run a single rate on my other aerobatic helis and don't bother with dual rates.
Nov 08, 2012, 07:35 PM
That did it, going to 130 on the aileron channel give it about the same roll rate as the flips. I will probably add a touch more expo as well now. The winds were calm for the last couple flights and it flew awesome. Doing flips at eye level now, what a fun little machine.
Nov 09, 2012, 12:29 PM
Thread OP
Glad you figured it! I'm just beginning with CP helicopters so I'll be going with tamer settings. Not sure if I would need dual rates or not. I'll be reading up on heli setups this weekend.

Quick Reply