Nov 11, 2012, 11:32 AM
Thread OP
Well Guys, things went along more quickly then I had anticipated, and the plans for the Super Cub are finished. If all goes on schedule the kits will be in hand and ready to begin shipping on or about 11-16-2012. The kit is up on the web site here: http://patscustom-models.com/shortkit1.html so you can get yours ordered now in plenty of time for Christmas.

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2012, 09:13 PM
Way to go pat! As again you done a fabulis job. I love the covering job, beautiful super cub. Can't wait to see it at small this year. Rodney.
Nov 12, 2012, 07:59 PM
It's a fine fiddly business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
OK Guys, here's the link to the maiden videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...ature=view_all

PAT
As always, beyond nice.
Nov 13, 2012, 08:45 AM
Very, very nice Pat...

Looks like the real deal in your flying videos, will you be selling plans only of the Super Cub?

I did'nt see them on your web site.

Bill
Nov 13, 2012, 09:42 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Smudge
Very, very nice Pat...

Looks like the real deal in your flying videos, will you be selling plans only of the Super Cub?

I did'nt see them on your web site.

Bill
Bill, I can sell the plans alone, but there's not enough parts information on the plans to build the model from scratch without some serious parts lofting. For the builder, the Super Cub will only be offered as a kit.

PAT
Nov 13, 2012, 10:38 AM
I eat glue
My order is going out today Pat, for the new J-3 and the Super Cub.

Correction- my order WENT OUT TODAY! Yipee! (like I don't have enough unfinished projects on the go)
Last edited by baldguy; Nov 13, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
Dec 24, 2012, 02:32 PM
I eat glue
My Super Cub and 60" J-3 showed up 2 days ago!! Yipee!!
Dec 26, 2012, 03:30 PM
Thread OP

Making a Few Additions that will Turn the "Super Cub" into a Geniune "Bush Plane"

The Super Cube being what it is just screams for a few bush mods, so here's where this "ongoing project" is now.

It started with the desire to add a cockpit, but with the battery laying on the floor there just wasn't anyplace to put the seat and the battery in the model at the same time. So here's how we got around that.

The One Man Dingy was made from Depron foam to keep it light. The basic frame was built up and skinned using 2MM foam, glued together with Gorilla Glue. Magnets are used to secure the boat to the model. Then the boat was painted with Stainless Steel Metalizer.
Dec 26, 2012, 03:34 PM
Thread OP

The New Battery Access

Now that there's a place to hide the battery, the new opening was framed into the bottom of the fuselage. Magnets were located on the fuselage to coincide with those on the boat to keep it in place in flight. A velcro strap was placed around the original battery tray to prevent it from falling off the bottom side of the tray in flight.
Dec 26, 2012, 03:39 PM
Thread OP

Fitting the Boat

With the battery in place, the boat is simply set in place held firm by the magnets. To remove it is a simple matter of sliding it backwards off the magnets. But just to be sure it would all work, the boat was fitted before the cover went on.
Dec 26, 2012, 03:43 PM
Thread OP

You Can't Have a Boat Without the Paddles

A set of paddles for the boat was made up and strapped to the LH Jury Strut. And as long as the other side was still available I "borrowed" the 12 Guage from the J-3 and strapped it to the RH Jury Strut.
Dec 26, 2012, 03:50 PM
Thread OP

And Now for what this is all about -- The Cockpit

The seats and floor board were made up from 2 MM Depron. The control stick assembly was made up from Plastruct Tubing and Depron with the upper grips added using vinyl trim and a dab of white glue. The rudder pedals were made up from Styrene rod. The trhrottles are Depron with handles made from map pins. The components were painted and then glued in place with white glue. The floor board was tack glued it the fuselage just in case it might need to come back out later.

And so goes it for now. I'm sure there will be more from time to time, so will add to the Thread as it happens. But for now, the resemblence to a genuine, sure enough bush plane is getting closer.

PAT
Dec 26, 2012, 04:11 PM
It's a fine fiddly business.
Pat,
What a totally great interior solution. I love the dingy. With flaps, dingy, shotgun and oars it should have a nice steep descent. Ready for bush work, the cub will have the aerodynamics and short/rough field capabilities of an Antonov-2.
Best,
Robert
Last edited by Robert R; Dec 26, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Dec 26, 2012, 05:29 PM
I eat glue
Cool. Now I hate to be nitpicky Pat, but those aren't paddles, they're oars!
Might convert my Super Cub to the Super Bear homebuilt I photographed in Ontario.
Dec 26, 2012, 07:05 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Pat

You have waaaay too much time on your hands. Love the dinghy, although wouldn't a true bush pilot have a canoe?

Happy Holidays by the by.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew

Quick Reply