Nov 03, 2012, 04:08 PM
Airliner Builder
Amazing work Pat, I love the way you did the bush wheels! Great job!

Ethan
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2012, 04:18 PM
I eat glue
Heh Pat, are the longerons 1/8sq as on the smaller version? Think I might use the same size only in bass, it's a little "bouncier" out here on the east coast then it was in the middle of Canada.
Nov 04, 2012, 04:28 PM
Visitor from Reality
Of course, for those of us who hate the concept of going flying and finding an identical model to ours at the field, the internet allows for much research of possibilities...

I don't know much more about this Super Cub, apart from that it has 200HP up front

Thought I felt a small earth tremor - must be Pat T shuddering in fright
D
Nov 04, 2012, 08:14 PM
Hey Pat great job! Looks great. Rodney
Nov 07, 2012, 07:45 PM
Hey Pat. Looks stunning as always. Am also glad to see you did the "D" window as a laminate as I did on the L-4/J-3 revert. Looks very scale through the covering. Can't wait to see the finished product.

TTFN The Yank
Nov 10, 2012, 10:28 AM
Thread OP

Hinging the Side Door

The side door was attached (and hinged) using vinyl. A strip was place inside and out, so will hold up real well. I didn't add any provision for latching the doors cuase after all, it's a Cub, and the Cub needs to be flown with the door open.

Then once that was doone the wings wre plugged in and the struts test fit. And while I was waiting on the cowl to arive I went ahed and set up the controls and got things pretty well tucked away on the inside. And being as time was running out for weather I decided to forgo with the cockpit for now. It can always be added larer.
Nov 10, 2012, 10:33 AM
Thread OP

Building the Cowl

As it turns out, the cowl had to be done in two halves. When joining the halves a 1/2" wide strip of plastic was glued inside to stiffen and support the joint. Then Bondo was used to fill the seem and the scratches touched up with spot glazing putty. Mounting tabs were made up from lite ply, the cowl mounted, and then the cowl was painted and the (hand cut) vinyl trim added.
Nov 10, 2012, 10:36 AM
Thread OP

Finishing Her Up

The decals also came last week, so the numbers were added and the last of the trim cut and applied. The model was ballanced using the 1800 2S battery, the lite ply tray added and the battery secured with Velcro. At this point, the new Super Cub is ready to go. All we can do now id wait out the weather.

PAT
Nov 10, 2012, 10:42 AM
I eat glue
Cool, what's the weight?
Nov 10, 2012, 10:43 AM
Cut it twice, still too short
Nice one Pat. A little disappointed we have to wait for the cockpit details but understand about the weather and wanting to get her in the air. Are you adding the leading edge slats on this one?

It would be pretty cool to see a picture of this one sitting next to one of your 53" SC's for a size comparison.

On another note, is the 60" Storch next on you list? Still waiting on that one.
Last edited by dglo; Nov 10, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Nov 10, 2012, 10:52 AM
Thread OP

Flying the Super Cub

As it turns out, the crummey weather was a day late, so we got to fly the Cub on Friday afterall.

She finished up at 24.4 oz. w/ the 1800 battery, which is a little pudgier then I would have liked, but is actually a good weight for a flap airplane. Too light and they will slow down too much and become virually uncontrolable. As it is, the flaps really work, and the Cub slows down nicely anyway, in fact, it does everything in slow motion with 45 degrees of flap deflection.

Long story short, ground handling is great, and in the air she's even better. The only trim required was a flap deflection and elevator trim and throw reset. With the first flap setting -- take off position -- the model wanted to climb to steeply, so reduced the flap deflection a bit and increased the down elevator mix. Now, the climb is much more manageable, and at approach speeds is nearly neutral. At full flaps the model really slows down nicely and remains controlable all the way to the ground. The elevator throw also needed to be increased as the model wouldn't flair with full flap deflection.

In the end, it turned out to be a great flying little model, and looks great sitting next to the J-3. I'll be heading over to Tucson for the scale fly-in real soon, and can't wait to fly formation with the J-3. Should make for some great pics.

And speaking of pics, there were plenty of inflight pictures and video taken, so will post up the results as soon as they're in hand.

PAT
Nov 10, 2012, 10:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglo
Nice one Pat. A little disappointed we have to wait for the cockpit details but understand about the weather and wanting to get her in the air. Are you adding the leading edge slats on this one?

It would be pretty cool to see a picture of this one sitting next to one of your 53" SC's for a size comparison.

On another note, is the 60" Storch next on you list? Still waiting on that one.
After flying the Cub I can see that it really doesn't need the slats. At the slightly higher weight it won't slow down enough to loose aileron control, so will leave it as is.

PAT
Nov 10, 2012, 06:16 PM
Thread OP
OK Guys, here's the link to the maiden videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...ature=view_all

PAT
Nov 10, 2012, 10:08 PM
the overhead shot with with the flaps down looked great. so how long until the short kits are available?
Nov 10, 2012, 11:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquinn
the overhead shot with with the flaps down looked great. so how long until the short kits are available?
If all goes well I should have it up on the web site by mid week. The plans are 99% finished, so now it's a matter of the final proof reding, then getting the parts and plans ordered once the "paperwork" is finished. Will definitely post up here when the kit is released.

PAT

Quick Reply