Brand New 60" Super Cub - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 03, 2012, 08:42 AM
Build Log

Brand New 60" Super Cub

Well, after months of head scratching and drafting the results are finally in. The original drawings were extremely "scale", and incorperated scale flap and aileron hinging, but because of the sheer complexity of the build would have been rediculously complicated for the average builder, so we rolled things back a bit and went with a more conventional layout so that everyone who wants to build a Super Cub can.

The model is done in 1:7 scale with 5 ch. control using 6 servos to accomodate the plug in wing arrangement which provides a much cleaner scale appearence without the bolt holes and break line across the top of the fuselage. Power is a Suppo 2217/9 with a 20A ESC and a 2S 1800 battery. So, let's get started.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2012, 08:44 AM

Beginning with the Tail Section

Unlike the J-3, the rudder is rounded and the elevator is set up with boost tabs . Construction here is the typical bowed outline style.
Nov 03, 2012, 08:49 AM

Building the Wings

The wings are of the "Egg-Crate" style construction and incorperate front, rear, and full length hinge spar for the flaps and ailerons. The tips are bowed using 3 laminations that will be supplied with the Short Kit to simplify shaping since the taper will be set up going in, eliminating a whole bunch of carving.
Nov 03, 2012, 08:51 AM

Finishing the Wing Assembly

Once the basic wing assembly is completed it's lifted from the board, sanded to rough shape and the LE sheeting added. Then the final sanding and shaping is done to complete the assembly.
Nov 03, 2012, 08:54 AM

Framing the Fuselage

The fuselage is the typical "stick frame" style. The side door opens, so the fuselage sides are unique to their side. Framing plans will be included for both sides, just to keep things simple. The frasmes are joined directly over the plans beginning with the landing gear mount beams and upper cabin formers.
Nov 03, 2012, 09:00 AM

Continuing On Towards the Rear

The tail post is then aligned and glued and the aft formers, cross pieces and centerline stringer was added. From there it was on to adding all the stringers, front sheeting, cabin out-fill and the laminated "D"-Window frames. And finally, the landing gear mount gussets were added.
Nov 03, 2012, 09:03 AM

Adding the Details

The boot cowl and cabin side cover was cut from file folder paper, fitted, and glued in place with canopy glue.
Nov 03, 2012, 09:05 AM

Installing the Servos

The rudder and elevator servos were mounted aft to make room for cocpit details that can be added at any time.
Nov 03, 2012, 09:08 AM

More Details.....

The cowl plug was carved from blue foam and is out for vac-forming even as we speak. The windshield pattern was made up -- and will be provided on the plans -- and fitted to the frame. Then the landing gear assembly was built up directly on the fuselage frame to insure that it would fit properly when the time came to mount it permanently.
Nov 03, 2012, 09:18 AM
I eat glue
Sooooooooooooooooo- how does she fly?

What's next in the 60" size, oh say a Fleet Canuk 80, on floats. Prettyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy please.
Nov 03, 2012, 09:24 AM

Fitting the Struts

The struts were built up and fitted to the model using the Washout Jig to insure proper dihedral and washout alignment.

The motor mount was built uop and glued in place and the motor was mounted on the firewall. Holes are provided for either the Suppo 2217 or the E-Flite 450, so most motor applications in that size class should fit.
Last edited by P. Tritle; Nov 03, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
Nov 03, 2012, 09:31 AM

Cover and Trim

The model was covered with white Microlite and trimmed in black cut from stock vinyl sheet. The numbers are ordered, and once in place, the rest of the striping will ne added.

The wheels were cut from a big block of EPP foam that a friend scrounged up from somewhere. The hubs are from an old set of DuBro 2" wheels and were hot glued into the tire in a hole cut into the foam using a hole saw made from a .45 caliber ACP brass shell case. The rest of the tire was hand carved, then final shaping was done with a carbide sanding bar on the lathe

The cabin windows and windshield were glued in place and will be trimmed with white vinyl sheet.

Once the cowl and decals arive we'll get the Super Cub finished up and in the air, so stay tuned, it won't be long now.....

PAT
Nov 03, 2012, 09:36 AM
Looking good Pat!

I soooo wish I could have waited a bit longer for this one, as I'm now building your 53" Super Cub, which so far is going very well, but I wouldn't mind something bigger, with the plug in wings. But as it is, it would be hard explaining to the wife why I needed a second plane that's just like one I already have, so I'll have to keep this one in mind for the future. Also, I really have no room left for any planes, and I still have one kit to build after the SC is covered.

Now, a 60" Aeronca Sedan, on the other hand...
Nov 03, 2012, 09:53 AM
Visitor from Reality
Great treatment of another version of the classic Cub, Pat.

It's on the list when/if stability ever shows up hereabouts. Right now, all our 'stuff' is piled up in my shop in anticipation of a week of house painting. Can't even see the model I was building up to last week

But you probably don't to see my favourite Super Cub photo...

D
Nov 03, 2012, 03:25 PM
Bryan D
WOW, Looks beautiful, Im building a Sig 1/20 Cub i bought from Jay. BTW amazing job on her.