Dec 05, 2012, 09:31 PM
looking up, down under
nice !

now i am getting nostalgic for a lockheed p38...
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2012, 03:01 AM
1 can never have 2 many planes
Thread OP
funny you should say that as the last plane i was plannin to build before i leave germany was goin to be the lightning.. however in a last minute change it went for the f-18 instead. but i had already ordered the parts for the p-38 so it will be built when im back home.. have sourced epp and will be distributing as well people. but keep it on the DL atm:
Dec 06, 2012, 03:36 AM
looking up, down under
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambo88
funny you should say that as the last plane i was plannin to build before i leave germany was goin to be the lightning.. however in a last minute change it went for the f-18 instead. but i had already ordered the parts for the p-38 so it will be built when im back home.. have sourced epp and will be distributing as well people. but keep it on the DL atm:
back to oz ?

i'm in for supplies if that's a go
Dec 06, 2012, 01:09 PM
Thread OP
Maidened the racer today! In the snow.. In the neg c range.. Was sooo dam cold.. First flight was very tail heavy. How ever I got it down safely and so shoved the battery as far forward as possible. Victory! The second flight was much better! Could do with some more aileron authority however it's perfectly fly able. Is still very quick as well Flight video coming soon !!
Dec 06, 2012, 06:46 PM
Please let me know when you have EPP available in Aus.

Cheers, Kev
Dec 07, 2012, 04:08 AM
Thread OP
Will do. Count on it being around early to
mid feb.
Dec 07, 2012, 10:18 AM
looking up, down under
Quote:
Will do. Count on it being around early to
mid feb.
add me to the customer list on your return
Dec 07, 2012, 06:34 PM
Thread OP
Are you guys interested in epe as well? trying source it as well as carbon fibre..
Dec 07, 2012, 11:11 PM
looking up, down under
Quote:
Are you guys interested in epe as well? trying source it as well as carbon fibre..
carbon fibre is bog cheap from hobbyking if you buy it in big enough batches to spread the cost of postage

don't even know what i would apply epe to as a building medium
Dec 08, 2012, 01:21 PM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
EPE = expanded polyethylene = that stuff you throw out when you unpack your new computer or tv set.

I'm thinking of building the fuselages of my belly landers with it, as it is literally unbreakable. Very floppy but adding a 4-5mm carbon rod (or layers of glue between layers of foam) should solve that, resulting in a crash proof fuse.
Never seen it used in RC planes though, apparently chambo and I are thinking the same here.

I once built a (very crude) body for a blind guy's Tamiya car with it, with 10cm overhang front and aft. We never managed to break anything on that car, even after crashing it into a brick wall at 40 km/h on purpose several times.
Hot glue worked out the best but I needed to seal off edges and corners with it, or else the outer layers of EPE would come loose. CA and epoxy wouldn't even stick to it.
Didn't experiment with paint but I don't think that will be possible anyway, as the structure of the foam is very open and it feels very "greasy".
Last edited by Commander Clumsy; Dec 08, 2012 at 01:30 PM.
Dec 08, 2012, 03:20 PM
Thread OP
im getting some samples delivered in the next week or so from a possible source.. will test it out when i get back and you never know. it might be 1/2 the price of the epp
Dec 09, 2012, 05:11 PM
Thread OP
crm crm.. returning to the topic as described by the heading.. painted my girlfriends bike this weekend.. had some blue paint left over so i used it on the pond racer and also added the other decals as depicted in the rf6 sim shots. here are the pics of the right side which is now finished. lettering was done similar to how a tatoo is imprinted on the skin.. lots of little ink imprints with a pin.. took hours but came out ok
Dec 09, 2012, 07:10 PM
Looks great 88
Dec 14, 2012, 03:40 PM
Thread OP
ok so the 1700kv 24g blue wonder motors for this plane work fine and have enough power to fly well.. but using full power is kinda like using the nos bottle in your race car.. you cant just leave it cranking. for my intentions for this plane i think these little wonders are just out of their league.

i have been doing some searching and come to a possible solution. can anyone reccomend these? they seem pretty well suited to my needs.. bit more beef where its needed.

Turnigy L2206A-1650 Brushless Motor (130w) from:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_130w_.html
Jan 19, 2013, 01:56 PM
Thread OP
fitted the new 1650kv motors today and took her out for a test flight. she is much quicker now and the extra weight of the new motors gives a perfect g location.

pond racer with new 1650kv motors.. much faster (1 min 24 sec)

very happy... now on too the 1400mm version

Quick Reply