Nov 16, 2012, 09:16 AM
1 can never have 2 many planes
Thread OP
so the maiden flight was a success... she flies but that is all she does..

i new these engines werent very powerfull and i only used them cos i had them and wanted to build a small model with what i had lying around.

after the maiden i realised that the max throttle limit was set to about 70%. (This was because i was flying it on the memory slot of a different model that i no longer have in my controller. reset the throttle limits and went for a second crack at it.

this time it was a lot faster, still not a rocket but now flying nicely.

unfortunately the flight was to be short lived, one of the motor mounts wasnt agreeing with the firewall of the fuse (due to motor vibrations) and left the model.

it flailed about taking small chunks out of the front of the model as it spun as i brought it in for an emergency landing..

landed safely but the vibrations and/or maybe the landing caused the other motor to crack loose. only minor cosmetic damage, nothing structural. will secure the mounts better with an epp backing plate to the firewall and have another go at it 2moro. but she flies! and that was the main aim of this game so im happy!

now bring on the 1400mm v2!!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2012, 10:10 AM
I almost forgot about the Marine F/A-44A Banshee:

(click pic for more)

Nov 17, 2012, 07:01 PM
Thread OP
heres the flight video after some tuning and balancing

depron pond racer .MOV (1 min 14 sec)
Nov 18, 2012, 06:13 AM
looking up, down under
looks beautiful in the air
Nov 18, 2012, 07:40 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1
looks beautiful in the air
thanks! flies brilliantly too! cant wait to get back to aus to build the bigger version.. hehe
Nov 18, 2012, 10:23 AM
IWC
IWC
that is worth kitting. Nice
Nov 18, 2012, 11:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWC
that is worth kitting. Nice
thats a great idea, cheers

would anybody be interested in buying a kit version for say between $15-20 plus postage?

kit would contain the following:

- depron pieces (control surfaces fitted + control horns) 3
- push rods 2
- linkage stoppers 1.5
- assembly instruction 0
- ply motor mount .05
- epp motor mount support .5
- carbon fibre lenghts (depending on kit version) 4

would be required to finish:

- x4 micro 5g servos
- x2 2300kv motors
- x2 10 amp esc
- x2 servo y-lead
- 800-1000mah 2s lipo
- velcro for battery
- TX/RX

also would consider doing an 800mm version with x2 24g 1700kv motors running on a small 3s lipo. << pretty sure it would be a rocket
Last edited by chambo88; Nov 18, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Nov 19, 2012, 07:21 AM
Thread OP
i decided i will confirm to make an 800mm epp version of this baby some time in the next week.. running x2 24g 1700kv motors with 20amp esc's and 9 g sevos so stay tunned!
Nov 19, 2012, 08:28 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Chambo , we built the Profile Pond too , and powered it with little J250s .... flew Nice !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Nov 20, 2012, 09:34 AM
I see, I like, I scratch...
Chambo, I saw your plane yesterday and was inspired to try one myself.

Here's what I have so far.

Harry
Nov 20, 2012, 03:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Chambo , we built the Profile Pond too , and powered it with little J250s .... flew Nice !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfsarber
Chambo, I saw your plane yesterday and was inspired to try one myself.

Here's what I have so far.

Harry
looking good guys, maybe i dont need to kit it after all.. lol hfsaber, let me know how it flies
Nov 20, 2012, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambo88
looking good guys, maybe i dont need to kit it after all.. lol hfsarber, let me know how it flies
I still think you might want to consider kitting it. It's a nice plane. I'm a scratch builder - I see picture, I like plane, I build plane....

I meant to ask. Where do you have the CG on yours? My wingspan is a little larger at 48", but I'm just looking for a ballpark figure. I used a negative sweep with the online CG calculator and it gave me 2.5" back from the LE. From the shape of the wing that looks a little too far back.

Mine didn't come out very close to scale as far as wingspan and length of fuse. Looking at the pictures it seems that on the original plane the wingspan and length are about the same. On mine the wingspan is 48" and the length is 32". The shorter coupling on mine may make it a little more skittish, but we'll see.

I picked up a couple ESCs at the LHS today so I am hoping to maiden it tomorrow or Turkey Day (we're having filet mignon - I'm cooking!)

Harry
Nov 20, 2012, 06:07 PM
Thread OP
ok so.. mine is scale as can be from the plans i drew up which are the same as the orginal version of the aircraft. so as u said the cg may differ.. but the wingspan is 700mm (27.5") and the lenght is 650mm (25.6") the cg for the particular model worked out at 36mm (1.41") aft of the LE of the wingroot.. cant wait to see the flight video. also ill see how i go and maybe put up a kit some time.. what do you think of the price?? one tip for this bird. keep as much weight up the front as possible.. i had to move my servos forward and have the battery over the cg just for it to balance.. my 800mm will see the escs right up next to the motors.. spinners on the motors.. and the servos up as far forward as possible as well.. want to have the battery back in the pilots cabin..
Nov 20, 2012, 06:18 PM
Thread OP
here is the paint scheme i came up with for the 800mm epp version which will be coming out in the next week if all goes well

painted it up in gimp, then exported it to realflight6.5.
Nov 20, 2012, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambo88
ok so.. mine is scale as can be from the plans i drew up which are the same as the orginal version of the aircraft. so as u said the cg may differ.. but the wingspan is 700mm (27.5") and the lenght is 650mm (25.6") the cg for the particular model worked out at 36mm (1.41") aft of the LE of the wingroot.. cant wait to see the flight video. also ill see how i go and maybe put up a kit some time.. what do you think of the price?? one tip for this bird. keep as much weight up the front as possible.. i had to move my servos forward and have the battery over the cg just for it to balance.. my 800mm will see the escs right up next to the motors.. spinners on the motors.. and the servos up as far forward as possible as well.. want to have the battery back in the pilots cabin..
Yep, mine is definitely NOT scale. I just did the math and it's 14" too short.

And as such, it was very nose heavy. After installing the motors I placed the rest of the gear on top of the fuse and found it waaaaay nose heavy. The servos for rudder and elevator are now mounted in the tail as far back as I could get them. The aileron servos are about 2" in front of the ailerons. ESCs back as far as possible. With a 1000mah 3S battery just behind the CG it now balances at 2.5" from the LE. We'll see how that goes.

As far as kitting goes, it's a tough call. The price sounds good to me, but it's a fickle market.

And with that I'll quit highjacking your thread. I'll post a new thread in the Scratchbuilt Forum when I get her maidened with pictures and probably a video, too.

Harry

Quick Reply