Nov 21, 2014, 10:55 PM
I have a HB .40 PDP with the black head-the Blitz model.. When I ran it new it was extremely strong, smooth, easy starting, just a nice engine. Just reassembled it today...
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2014, 03:21 AM
Good luck, Gene!
Nov 25, 2014, 07:54 AM
Systems Test Engineer Amateur
We happen to have a range of excellent synthetic oils readily available . I have used 20% Klotz (which contains castor oil as well) and 5% to 10% nitro with my .40 PDP blackhead and no complaints from me or the engine for the last thirty or so years . Actually , when I bought the engine , it was initially run on 80% methanol/20% castor that I was mixing at home . This is a very fine sport engine and has been extremely durable . Probably one of last 2 strokes I would ever let go !
Sep 17, 2019, 04:00 PM

hi all help

Hi iv got an hb 40 engine in a boat but sadly the carb is missing of it i need a carb or an old complete engine it duos not matter if it an airo engine or water coold i do hope one of yo can help me
Sep 18, 2019, 07:50 AM
------
Quote:
Originally Posted by old me
Hi iv got an hb 40 engine in a boat but sadly the carb is missing of it i need a carb or an old complete engine it duos not matter if it an airo engine or water coold i do hope one of yo can help me
An equivalent size Perry carb. would do but you can still get the original (as well as most HB parts) from Mecoa, which now own HB:
https://www.mecoa.biz/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=110
Quote:
CARB, HB .40 .50 (PERRY STYLE)
Part Number: 80-1001
Old Part Number: GOOD
Stock Status: GOOD
Price: $38.80
Also Perry:
http://www.perrypumps.com/prod01.htm
Quote:
HB .40 :#2300
Oct 15, 2019, 10:28 AM
Max Tenet
Anyone know how to copy the PDP porting on a standard HB .40 or is it just more than extra port holes in the cylinder?
Oct 15, 2019, 11:09 AM
Clarence Lee is the one who does PDP porting on the engines outside of a factory doing the porting. Yes one could do it themselves, if they know how though. The extra ports help to clear the exhaust gasses from a dead spot on the non-schnuerle ported engines. Thus giving them more power. The piston baffle sort of blocks some of the intake charge from filling the cylinder completely and also the piston baffle tends to block some of the exhaust gasses from being cleared out too. So there is some science involved with it. it isn't just miling in a couple of little ports willy nilly. The ports need to direct a small intake charge right behind the piston baffle (on the exhaust side). So you need to get the flow charge angles just so.
Last edited by earlwb; Oct 15, 2019 at 11:12 AM. Reason: typo
Oct 15, 2019, 12:11 PM
If you look at the parts list, the case has some differences as well. I'm sure it is just milled to allow better flow to the PDP ports in the sleeve. In my experience the PDP 'Blitz' had noticeably more power then the PDP version. It also faired very well in the MAN 40 Engine Shootout from the May 1987 engine test.

Here is a link to the site with the magazine:

https://archive.org/details/Model_Ai...gazine_1987-05
Last edited by turbo.gst; Oct 15, 2019 at 12:19 PM. Reason: added info
Oct 15, 2019, 06:27 PM
Yes they had to machine in grooves on the inside to match the extra PDP porting added. Thus the different part number for it.
Oct 19, 2019, 03:01 AM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Tenet
Anyone know how to copy the PDP porting on a standard HB .40 or is it just more than extra port holes in the cylinder?
Yes and Yes. I've done it on a couple different engines. Without going into a book sized diatribe, ideally the ports are angled to get flow across the entire baffle. The best way to do it is the two vertical ports. The ones closest to the baffle are angled towards the outside edge of the baffle and the other two are angled towards the center.

You also have to mill the inside of the crankcase to provide a fuel path from the main intake path over to the PDP ports. Its kinda tricky because if you mill too much you could break through to the outside of the crankcase.

I suppose one some could do it by hand but I imagine your gonna ruin a lotta parts figuring it out.

I included a pic that kinda shows what I'm talking about.

Mike

Quick Reply