Nov 01, 2012, 07:00 AM
Team Furious FPV
Thread OP
Discussion

Walkera TX Module Hacking --> Multi Module for your favourite TX

Hi guys,
I’m from Germany and I have been discovering quite a few interesting posts in this part of the forum, but now it’s my turn to contribute something.
First I have to say that I have just started developing this, so that’s why I’m looking for some “conspirators”.

You might ask now what this is all about. So now here comes the Idea:
I’m sure you have all heard about the deviation project, which all started here: Deviation

They took a Walkera TX and put up a custom firmware which adds a new GUI and of course new protocols like DSM2. It is really an amazing piece of work they did spend moths on hacking all those protocols and testing.
The thing that made all this possible is that almost all the TX and RX use the same chip: The CYRF6936.

But many of us don’t want to buy a Walkera TX, although they maybe want to try one of the Walkera Helis like the V120. I’d like to fly one but I would prefer using my MX16 Hott for it.

So my Idea is about using the Walkera TX Module for creating a device which can be plugged into the DSC plug of different radios (Futaba, Graupner, Spektrum).

Such devices already exist but they can only handle the protocol of one brand:
Futspek (Spektrum)
neTX (Solo Pro)
The special thing about the module I want to develop is that it should support different protocols and TXs. They can be chosen by using a little switch or something.

What has to be done?
I have already started constructing the hardware and now I need some people who will support me developing the software.
A good basis for this are the sources of the deviation project:
Deviation Sources
They have already documented and programmed the protocols and this would be a good point to start.
The UC I’d like to use is the Atmega88 (or one with more I/O s, because it can be soldered to home-etched pcbs and they are pretty cheap.

What do you think about this?
Last edited by NightHawk2244; Nov 01, 2012 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Forgot attachments
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2012, 09:33 AM
I for one will be watching this thread!

Atmega 88 will work but cheaper to atmega328 ie Arduino (don't have to use Arduino IDE) Just cheap and no special programmers needed (unless fuses need to be changed)
or Atmega 2056 lots of serial ports so multi RF could be done but hard to do diy etch but lots of pins

Can't help with code but i would make my own hardware.

Wish you Luck, Phil
Nov 02, 2012, 01:25 PM
I think your hurdle is going to be fitting multiple RF modules into your case. Spektrum/Walkera uses the CYRF6936 chip, Futaba uses the ML2724 chip, others use the TI CC2500 and others use the Nordic chips. Unless you want to get into making a customized PCB with all those chips mounted on it with a complex RF matching/switching system to select the output from one chip to send to the antenna, your going to need 4 separate RF modules with 4 antennas.
Nov 09, 2012, 06:53 PM
flying beam
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer22
I think your hurdle is going to be fitting multiple RF modules into your case. Spektrum/Walkera uses the CYRF6936 chip, Futaba uses the ML2724 chip, others use the TI CC2500 and others use the Nordic chips. Unless you want to get into making a customized PCB with all those chips mounted on it with a complex RF matching/switching system to select the output from one chip to send to the antenna, your going to need 4 separate RF modules with 4 antennas.
Don't think that it is what he want to do (maybe I'm wrong).

But rather have a module for the Walkera protocol.

And as a bonus, have dsm2(x), walkera devention, walkera 2801, 2601 and 2401.

I for one would be really interested by such a module (JR type), I tough once about it with a 328 so many protocols would be to much for the flash on the 88 (I think...)

But since my programing skills are those of a Neanderthalian, I'm stuck trowing stones at some sapiens...(without success ).

Like in this thread : http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1794

About porting ER9x to a WK-2801 and using the protocols sources from deviation.
Nov 09, 2012, 07:01 PM
Hey Blackmoon we meet again in 'tx module' thread Got excited when i saw message in my inbox and was only you LOL !
I'm resigned and looking forward to getting devo10 but rather use futaba tx.
Nov 09, 2012, 07:23 PM
flying beam
Yup, every time I see a thread with "module" on it, I'm all "HO BOY, HO BOY..." then...

I think, I must evolve (or is it a cross species leap) and surrender to the sapiens side
Nov 09, 2012, 07:40 PM
"Such devices already exist but they can only handle the protocol of one brand:
Futspek (Spektrum)
neTX (Solo Pro)
The special thing about the module I want to develop is that it should support different protocols and TXs. They can be chosen by using a little switch or something."

Sounds like he is looking at doing more than just CYRF6936 based protocols
Nov 09, 2012, 07:55 PM
flying beam
You are right...

Tired and misread the OP

I myself would be more than pleased whit a dsm2, Devo, wk-2801,2601,2401 module.

And that is achievable with the rf module of any Wk TX since the 2401 and an avr, even more now that all these protocols are implemented in deviation.

Time to go to bed and dream a little, good night
Nov 09, 2012, 07:59 PM
My interest is walkera that said OrangeRX worth having and i do use them.
Nov 10, 2012, 07:35 AM
flying beam
Like I said dsm2 is just a bonus.

I already own a genuine spektrum module for my JR.

And will do the DX4e mod to my Flysky 9X shortly.

But I have to admit, converting a wk-2801 to er9X or open9X is something I really would like to be able to do.
Nov 19, 2012, 09:19 AM
Why not just start with the MTC-01? It's using ATmega168's internally and has all the Cyprus RF chips ready to go. It must use some "other" communication method than PPM when plugged into the DSC port of the WK-2801 though because I haven't been able to get it to work in a regular TX with PPM output.

If you could figure out what protocol the WK-2801 is using (it's only using the standard mono PPM type cable) to talk to the cube then that would be a cheap and easy way to get Devo support on any TX.

The MTC-01 needs a better antenna than it comes with though and may be power limited (hack the firmware to increase power like the other Devo's?). Maybe some custom firmware would do the trick, like I said, it's just a couple ATmega's. Certainly easier and probably cheaper than building your own board that's just going to have the same components.
Jul 20, 2013, 02:46 AM
Hey nighthawk,
I found your thread here. I am from Germany too so that i can Write in German now.
Ich habe das gleiche Problem wie du .
Habe die mx16 hott und möchte gerne den v120 damit fliegen.
Bist du schon einer Lösung nahe?
Würde mich als prototypentester zur Verfügung stellen.....
Klemens

Quick Reply