Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by argo-2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 01, 2012, 05:34 AM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
Build Log

Windrider Bat (Superfreak variation) Build.

A pictorial of my recent Bat build follows:
Specs -

Bat variation: 'Superfreak'. Wing roots cut to make a straight TE (actually 15mm sweep back).
Span: 1370mm (54").
AUW: 790gms (28 Ounces).
Reinforcing: 2 x 2mm fibreglass rods aft, 2 x 3mm FG rods forward, 8x0.8mm CF strip embedded into TE, Balsa TE/Hinge strips & FG tape/3M90 LE reinforcement.
Elevon material: Balsa.
Covering: Lamfilm then signwriter's vinyl (vinyl also acts as elevon hinges).
Batterys: 4 x AAA NiMH LSD 900mAH.
Added nose lead: 70gms + 70gms each side of battery pack.
Edit: Added another 62gms of lead to the beak to bring CG forward to 154mm.
Edit2: Now tuned after maiden to CG of 156mm.
Edit3: Still going back, now 159mm.
Last edited by argo-2; Feb 10, 2013 at 07:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2012, 09:42 AM
Video please

Ming Lou
Nov 02, 2012, 02:50 PM
Sure Ming, just as soon as I get her maidened.
Geez you picked up on this post fast
I only posted a couple of days ago!

Video added:

Windrider Bat (Superfreak variation) flying off Mt Mangere, Auckland. (2 min 47 sec)
Last edited by argo-2; Dec 02, 2012 at 05:05 AM.
Nov 14, 2012, 03:25 PM
Just got one of these! Never used Lam Film before, do you just stretch it over after spraying the surface or use a finishing iron on low heat?
Nov 18, 2012, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwchris
Just got one of these! Never used Lam Film before, do you just stretch it over after spraying the surface or use a finishing iron on low heat?
Hi iwc
I spray the EPP first with 3M70 or F2 spray and then let it set overnight. I then lay the lam film wing tip to wing tip. Tack the film down with the iron on "Nylon". Then starting from centre I iron it down in long strokes from wing centre to tips. Film shrinking is done on "Silk" setting. Be very careful going too much hotter than silk as all of a sudden you find the EPP starting to soften. There are great YouTube videos showing an Assassin being lam filmed - search on YouTube for 'Assassin' and 'lamfilm'.

Good luck!
Nov 18, 2012, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by argo-2
Hi iwc
I spray the EPP first with 3M70 or F2 spray and then let it set overnight. I then lay the lam film wing tip to wing tip. Tack the film down with the iron on "Nylon". Then starting from centre I iron it down in long strokes from wing centre to tips. Film shrinking is done on "Silk" setting. Be very careful going too much hotter than silk as all of a sudden you find the EPP starting to soften. There are great YouTube videos showing an Assassin being lam filmed - search on YouTube for 'Assassin' and 'lamfilm'.

Good luck!
Thanks very much Argo-2 for your help, I will have look on YouTube for that film, I'm going to enjoy doing this wing.
Nov 18, 2012, 01:37 AM
No problem Chris. Here is one link: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Ao3Ef...%3DAo3Efb8-7Vc

There are other vids out there. Crashtesthobby is a great resource for building vids and super tough EPP wings. Quite a number of the guys here have their planes.
Jan 02, 2013, 11:45 PM
Hey Argo, a quick question. Did you shape the Balsa Elevators? or were they just bought straight off the shelf and cut to fit?

regards
Matthew
Jan 02, 2013, 11:46 PM
are the elevons modified? or standard Elevator stock?

regards
Matthew
Jan 27, 2013, 05:32 PM
Opps sorry lemuel, missed your questions.

To answer:

Stock elevons were cut off and replaced with Balsa ones. Balsa ones were off the shelf at local modelling shop. They had rounded edges at the hinge, I cut these off to make a bevel (flat) hinge-line.

Cheers.