Feb 17, 2013, 05:58 PM
Ken's CAD Models
You found that using some up counteracted it and balanced the controls to get the desired effect. This is pretty normal for RET mode. Some models require less up input, but you thrust line is higher so it does not seem out of the ordinary or unusual . All in all sounds good and normal.

Congratulations,
Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2013, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reehoe
Maiden flight was a success! I did two flights, and for the most part it flies great... it was a little tail heavy though. When I cranked it up, it really scooted along at a pace I didn't expect for a 2 cell battery. I flew around a bit with just aileron and elevator inputs, trimming it out and switching to low rates due to sensitivity. Loops, rolls, snaps, inverted... it did very well for not being dialed in, that is, until I tried the rudder. With a rudder input she would yaw, then bank, but also dive severely in the process. I could counter this tendency with a bit of up elevator input along with the rudder and get a nice smooth turn, so I guess I could add a mix to take care of it. What I Think is happening is that the ruddervator pushrods are flexing during an up movement, since it is "pushing" the ruddervator... pulling it down works fine since the rod is under tension. I will see if I can fix this mechanically instead of electronically.

I did happen to land under a pine tree of course, so now the bottom is dinged up from those darn pine cones oh well, I am very stoked overall! I can't wait to make some adjustments and go again. One more thing: the V tail is very stable and little, if any, tail wiggle was encountered. Is is also very sensitive/effective, only a small throw is required.
Very nice work- it looks great.

-Nole
Feb 20, 2013, 11:29 PM
I am working on prepping/painting the Foamanza... also working on the Baron on the side.

Thanks for the kind words, guys... including the one who privately messaged me. Most appreciated. I hope to get video this weekend.
Last edited by Reehoe; Feb 23, 2013 at 07:28 PM.
Feb 23, 2013, 07:17 PM
Another progress update

I am still working on the finishing... using lightweight spackle thinned with water to smooth out the surface. It is working well but is taking a while. In addition, I decided to go with a 70's-style paint scheme,using white, red, burgundy, and gold.

The removable landing gear are going to get fitted soon as well, now that I am generally satisfied with the flight performance. In preparation for the next flight the cg was adjusted, control throws have been reduced along with a few other minor tweaks.

Pictures soon, I promise!
Last edited by Reehoe; Feb 24, 2013 at 10:44 PM.
Feb 23, 2013, 08:49 PM
wow this plane looks awesome... congrats!
Feb 23, 2013, 08:54 PM
This plane does looks awesome ! .... I hope there are going to be plans
Feb 24, 2013, 12:15 AM
Thanks, guys! There are going to be plans at some point. I will more than likely have some planes cut from MPF for interested folks as well, I just have a few more things I want to figure out first.

Here are a few options on the paint scheme... what do y'all think?
Feb 24, 2013, 05:54 AM
Ken's CAD Models
The one with the tip tanks gets my vote.

Ken
Feb 24, 2013, 09:18 AM
+1 about the color ... you have a great idea of continue the VLF planes with the first civilian aircraft. I hope you post the plans soon ... Can you describe more about flight characteristics? In term of difficult...it's need a novice or expert pilot?
Feb 24, 2013, 01:37 PM
I do have to give a great deal of credit to dz1sfb, he was the inspiration for this creation! As for flight characteristics, I would say it is for intermediate pilots overall, but I think a novice could handle it if they kept the control throws to a minimum and made sure the C.G. was a tad nose-heavy. My C.G. was a bit aft on the first two flights and boy the first 20 seconds of the maiden was stressful! A lot of pitch oscillations. It calmed down significantly once it was trimmed out and the dual rates were switched to low. This airplane will do almost anything with a mere 1 cm of control throw all around and is pretty stable, especially in the roll axis due to the generous dihedral angle. Most of the airplanes constructed like this seem to be very maneuverable and speedy, and are definitely not floaters- when you cut the throttle, they come down quickly.
I have to make a few more adjustments to the drawings... like maybe an addition of 1 degree of positive wing incidence. I am also mulling over the next design... possibles are a Mooney, an Archer, or a King Air (a Foam Air, lol). Will probably do the Mooney, but we'll see.

EDIT: Forgot to add the Skymaster in the possibles list.
Last edited by Reehoe; Nov 02, 2013 at 01:08 PM.
Feb 24, 2013, 03:34 PM
One of these would look good in VLF I think:
Last edited by Reehoe; Feb 24, 2013 at 03:43 PM.
Feb 24, 2013, 06:53 PM
I think a Mooney would be cool once you get everything sorted out to your liking.
Feb 24, 2013, 08:15 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
One of these would look good in VLF I think:
Both are great subjects. I developed a rock solid system for foam booms in my Vampire build that would suit the Skymaster.

I would encourage you get as much right to your liking prior to moving on. Its no fun having to make mods to plans later, and then update.

Best wishes,
Ken
Feb 24, 2013, 08:43 PM
Quote:
I do have to give a great deal of credit to dz1sfb, he was the inspiration for this creation! .....
I know, really thanks to DZ1sfb... Actually I'm trying to finish a VLF Tempest V...

hey Ken I will find you vampire because I made a skymaster but suffer a lot because the tailbooms (I lose it in a hi speed dive recover)
Feb 24, 2013, 09:18 PM
Ken's CAD Models

Boom Details

I don't want to clutter up this fine thread , but will share how I handled boom strength.

See pictures for details. I was able to sand these down to a nice contour as well.

This might work for a Skymaster project.

Ken

Quick Reply