Dec 16, 2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Ken! I have already extended the outer lamination on the plans, but may have to scab in an extension on this one The problem was that I worked out the servo location after the design of the laminations, and if I hadn't I would have figured out sooner, heh heh. You also mentioned it being a RET model... while not my original goal, it may end up that way after some testing.

I just made a set of tip tanks out of 2 layers of MPF, and I think they look good. They add more character, I think. I hope to have a majority of the work done by tomorrow, but we'll see (I've said that before).
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2012, 03:38 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Looks Fabulous!

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Dec 17, 2012, 11:34 PM
Well, as I suspected the progress on the Foamanza was delayed by honey-do's and real world responsibilities. Man, this day job is really cutting into my free time I did get my motors in for the Baron, and if they aren't the cutest little outrunners I have ever seen. I could close my hand around a dozen of them!

On another note, the prints have had a real work-over since the first version, and are much more refined now. I did manage to save the window cut-outs, but man is it ever tight in the fuse. Some revisions:

- re-shaped the windows, and now bottom of side windows are level
- lowered wing in fuse to gain 1/4" of fuselage side height
- added plywood stiffeners to the top and bottom of the fuselage
- lengthened the outside lamination farther past the tail servos
- added 1 degree of negative incidence to the stab
- worked in an aileron servo into the belly, underneath the wing
- sketched up a possible extra cowl lamination to play with
- added the tip tank option
Dec 19, 2012, 01:14 AM
Did some more work tonight. I sanded the leading edges on the wing and V tail, and cut the ailerons out and made a servo mount on the belly. I also tried out the extra cowl lamination... trying to decide if I like it or not.

Here is a pic.
Dec 19, 2012, 08:01 PM
12th Pursuit Squadron
I like the additional cowl lamination, but it could be an optional part as I doubt that it is structurally necessary.

J.P.
Dec 19, 2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks-I agree on the optional thing. It will add a bit of strength to the nose area, which might be helpful with the optional landing gear installed. This airplane's weak spot is right at the area that this part mounts to, and I was thinking it would help reduce fuselage flex at the leading edge on a hard landing. Also, I changed the shape of the cowl lamination again and it looks even better still. I am coming into the home stretch now, and only have a few things left prior to the maiden:

1. Solder the ESC up to the motor
2. mount the wing & tail
3. make & install the control horns, pushrods
4. sand, sand, sand the fuselage
5. make the access hatches

On the first flights I plan to of course get it trimmed out, then experiment with rudder/elevator only control, then aileron/elevator only control. Once it is all dialed in, I will then add the clear windscreen, vac-formed trim parts, landing gear stuff, and maybe a micro light set if the weight is ok.
Last edited by Reehoe; Dec 19, 2012 at 11:48 PM.
Dec 20, 2012, 09:35 AM
I'm loving that cowl detail- the extra depth it gives to the fuse really makes the whole structure "pop" and takes away from the 1 dimensionality of a typical profile plane. What do you think the final wing loading will be?
Dec 20, 2012, 01:45 PM
Well, wing area should be about 165 sq inches, so wing loading should be about 8.7 oz/sq ft. That is at a weight of 10 oz (guessed high).
Feb 09, 2013, 09:12 PM
Spring approaches....Will the foamanza be ready?
Feb 12, 2013, 01:34 AM
The foamanza has been on hold for a bit while I made some big life changes, but I am back on it as of 2 days ago. She is all assembled, electronics in, and ready for the maiden. I will post back with details soon. I am getting really excited because she is looking good and I haven't really sanded much or painted anything. I have it set up full house, with ruddervators and ailerons... During testing I will check the feasibility of aileron/elevator/throttle and ruddervators only with throttle.
Feb 12, 2013, 04:24 AM
Ken's CAD Models
I continue to be fully impressed with the appearance of this model. It's the old addage, "if it looks right, it'll fly right". Don't know who coined it, but I believe it.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Feb 12, 2013, 10:23 PM
Thanks Ken... I too think it has enough good looks to fly right. It better! I will maiden the Foamanza as soon as the weather and my free time cooperate, which should be this weekend. In the meantime, I will try to get it all sanded down to shape. If I don't get 'er sanded down by maiden time, oh well... I'll fly it anyway. After the first flight I will do the plastic for the windows and add the " flying V" antenna.

I can't wait to start the Baron build. If the Foamanza looks like it should fly well, the Baron should be great!
Feb 12, 2013, 10:54 PM
Oh, and another thing- I am impressed with the Hobby King "Orange" servos (white, actually). They are smooth, quiet, and just feel better than those HXT servos. I deleted the Hobby King Orange RX in favor of a Hitec Minima RX, and haven't looked back. Programming the Hitec Aurora 9 was a snap, and the Minima is full range AND only about half the size of the Orange RX I had. I can't believe how good the Aurora is... it is the best radio I've ever had- and inexpensive to boot!
Feb 17, 2013, 03:05 PM
I am heading out now to maiden the Foamanza. I did get a chance to sand it, so it looks better now. Clear tape will be used for windows until flight testing is complete. Finished weight without paint or windows is 7.2 ounces, 8.6 with battery. Looks like I will be right around my target weight when finished.

I did some glide tests in my basement onto a bunched-up pile of comforters to check the cg, and it seems all is good. Here goes nothing!!!
Feb 17, 2013, 04:12 PM
Maiden flight was a success! I did two flights, and for the most part it flies great... it was a little tail heavy though. When I cranked it up, it really scooted along at a pace I didn't expect for a 2 cell battery. I flew around a bit with just aileron and elevator inputs, trimming it out and switching to low rates due to sensitivity. Loops, rolls, snaps, inverted... it did very well for not being dialed in, that is, until I tried the rudder. With a rudder input she would yaw, then bank, but also dive severely in the process. I could counter this tendency with a bit of up elevator input along with the rudder and get a nice smooth turn, so I guess I could add a mix to take care of it. What I think is happening is that the ruddervator pushrods are flexing during an up movement, since it is "pushing" the ruddervator... pulling it down works fine since the rod is under tension. I will see if I can fix this mechanically instead of electronically.

I did happen to land under a pine tree of course, so now the bottom is dinged up from those darn pine cones oh well, I am very stoked overall! I can't wait to make some adjustments and go again. One more thing: the V tail is very stable and little, if any, tail wiggle was encountered. Is is also very sensitive/effective, only a small throw is required.
Last edited by Reehoe; Feb 23, 2013 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply