Dec 02, 2012, 12:22 AM
I will take your advise, Ken! I was worried about that area.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2012, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reehoe
I will take your advise, Ken! I was worried about that area.
They look great! In regards to the hatch detail, I'm curious as to why it's so popular to have a separate side access panel like yours and most of the warbird designs of dz1 (which I think are fantastic, BTW). Cutting off the top cockpit and using some magnets/tongue connector would seem to provide a cleaner access solution. Plus, you could set it up so you could access all internals and not just the battery.

I look forward to seeing the foam come together

Nole
Dec 02, 2012, 12:04 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Nole,
I have found that when you add a couple more laminations to the fuselage, then top access is then more desirable. The VLF concept evolved out of an enhanced profile model. Therefore having a relatively flat side made it a convienient place to access the battery and to place hatches for the other components as well. Then I did my Tucano, which was a VLF model with 7 laminations and the battery/CG was directly under the canopy. For that I went to the top hatch method. There are obviously limitations with any design, but the VLF concept is a cross between profile and full body. Similar to the old semi-scale control line models.

Ken
Dec 02, 2012, 09:40 PM
Here is the real thing so far.. tried on both tails.
Dec 03, 2012, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Nole,
I have found that when you add a couple more laminations to the fuselage, then top access is then more desirable. The VLF concept evolved out of an enhanced profile model. Therefore having a relatively flat side made it a convienient place to access the battery and to place hatches for the other components as well. Then I did my Tucano, which was a VLF model with 7 laminations and the battery/CG was directly under the canopy. For that I went to the top hatch method. There are obviously limitations with any design, but the VLF concept is a cross between profile and full body. Similar to the old semi-scale control line models.

Ken
After studying your designs, I understand your description above- it makes complete sense regarding the number of laminations- I never thought of that. BTW, your collection of plans/designs is very impressive! It's a nice reference for all things VLF, which I'd like to tackle on my next foamy.

Nole
Dec 03, 2012, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Here is the real thing so far.. tried on both tails.
These are awesome! Nice work, I really like that Vtail- looks great with that curved outer lamination on the fuse. Can't wait to see these in the air

-Nole
Dec 04, 2012, 04:49 PM
In between build sessions on the Foamanza 35, I am still struggling to select a motor for the Baron version. I was leaning towards the Eflite Park 250, but it is too expensive for this project. Most others I have seen have integrated prop savers, which appear to obstruct my desire to fit spinners. Any suggestions anyone?

This one looks like a contender, but it is out of stock: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...50-Plus/Detail

I will keep looking.
Dec 04, 2012, 08:39 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Here is a similar weight motor and same manufacturer
2300 Kv http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_2300kv.html
I have one of these in 1700 Kv http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_1700kv.html it is an excellent motor and runs well on 2 or 3s. A very good quality quient runner too.

If your intention is to run 2s then I would go with the 2300 Kv.

The 1400 Kv from Headsup seems a bit slow for this size model.

Ken
Dec 11, 2012, 11:00 PM
Well I finally got some parts in and now I will continue the build. I was planning on using a Hitec Minima receiver since I have 2 brand new Aurora 9s I need to start using, but I had an Orange RX and satellite receiver just laying around so i will try to use them. I also got some cheap Hobby King Orange servos (actually white- bonus). I am now playing with the layout and I already see more changes will be made in the design, but I will save that for the next one. I have decided that the aileron servo will be on the bottom center of the wing, buried in the belly fairing. The V tail will be driven with 2 servos in order to get full ruddervator function (at least on this proto)... after a few successful flights I may try setting it up as elevator only and see how that does.

Already I can see that I am going to get hooked on these foamies, even though I have a stable of bigger glow airplanes.

Pics in a few.
Last edited by Reehoe; Dec 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Dec 11, 2012, 11:47 PM
Oh, I also found some motors for the Baron: http://www.altitudehobbies.com/brush...kv-suppo-a1510
So now I have the motors, ESCs, props, servos, and RXs for both a Foamanza 35 and a Baron... also got a Du-bro 1 1/4" spinner for the 35. The foam is flying in the shop...
Dec 15, 2012, 12:18 AM
I have been working on the project off and on. The cut-out windows are really getting in the way of a simple design, and I have had to add 1/16" ply stiffeners from firewall to past the battery box... about 10" on the long one. I might delete the windows... we'll see. I have also moved the wing down (on the plans, not this proto) in order to get more room for the goodies.
Dec 16, 2012, 02:27 AM
Progress update- I have got the wing roughed out, and have the dihedral set at 6 degrees, which is stock for a Bonanza. I sliced a groove in the top of the main wing piece for a 3mm CF tube spar & built a center spar joiner out of thin ply, then buried it all down in the wing foam. It worked great. My first wing was actually 2 piece, but on future builds I will just crease it in the middle and then glue in the joiner box and spars to hold it. I still need to cut out the ailerons, and will do that after I finish this post... I am also going to do some tip tanks.

Weight so far with everything minus the battery, horns & pushrods: 6.2 oz. Oh, I also got a Du-bro spinner- thanks Ken for pointing me in the right direction. I appreciate your advise, as always!

Pics in a few.
Last edited by Reehoe; Dec 16, 2012 at 02:39 AM.
Dec 16, 2012, 02:34 AM
Here they are... note the plywood inserts... absolutely essential in this design, especially with the open windows.
Dec 16, 2012, 07:59 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Here they are... note the plywood inserts... absolutely essential in this design, especially with the open windows.
A double thumbs up my friend! That is looking very good and will be a stable robust setup.

If you extend the outer lamination a bit further past the rudder/elevator servo area, it will allow you to blend/feather the lamination very nicely to the point that it will be barely noticable. Okay if you don't though.

Again, looking really sharp. Can't wait to see how she flys. Already a looker for sure.

Ken
Dec 16, 2012, 08:03 AM
Ken's CAD Models
I did not realize it was going to be an RET plane. That really simplifies the internals.

Barring any undesirable flight characteristics, I believe this will be a popular plane.

Ken
Last edited by dz1sfb; Dec 16, 2012 at 08:08 AM.

Quick Reply