Nov 05, 2012, 09:30 PM
Please feel free to speak up if you have a suggestion! I am not perfect by any means. Did some more tweaking of the plans today... some specs:

- Wing area 165 sq. in.
- Wingspan: 31 13/16"
- Length: 23 3/4"
- Motor: Undecided

I also drew a proper nacelle and tail for a B55 twin, and then quickly filed them away as to not get too distracted. Should be an easy mod to go twin also! Fun fun fun, I am glad I picked the Foamanza to start with.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2012, 07:28 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Reehoe,

A 1700 Kv Blue Wonder style motor on 2s would yield very lively flight with a 7x6 prop. On 3s with the same setup would make for unlimited performance.

Are you considering any landing gear?

Assuming 4 channel setup, you should come in around 9 oz sans landing gear.

Watching with interest.
Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Nov 06, 2012, 08:53 AM
Sounds very good, Ken. I am planning on some removable gear, but will strive to make it as light as possible. I will definitely go with a Blue Wonder, and need to get my hands on one.

I hope to have some good pictures soon.

p.s. Thanks for inspiring me with your great work! It has opened up a whole new way for me to enjoy R/C on the cheap, and dare I say that designing airplanes is just as addictive as building/flying them!
Nov 08, 2012, 12:16 AM
I have designed some landing gear, which should work for all 3 versions of the future Foamanza. For the mains, the gear will slide into an optional ply plate that can be glued into a slight recess in the wing at the gear location. The nose wheel strut will go through a bearing block that is shaped like the front landing gear door, and that assembly will key into a slot on the bottom of the nose. I am sure some standard tiny wheels will work with this on a hard surface, but I also have designed some laser cut tires and rims to enhance the look of my Foamanza. Why? Because I can!!!! I did a set for my Slow Stick, and I always get asked about them. They worked out well. Fairly light, too.

I spoke with my laser cutter guy and he is ready, so...

More free time is on the horizon soon- I will throw this bus into overdrive when it arrives!

p.s. As I am working on a 3d rendering, and I realize that I could easily frankenstein together a Bay Aviation Super V Bonanza with the parts I have so far... sheesh I am having fun flying that in my mind right now. Best of both worlds!!!
Last edited by Reehoe; Nov 08, 2012 at 12:23 AM.
Nov 08, 2012, 03:54 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Sounds like you have a great handle on everything.

Ken
Nov 09, 2012, 10:34 PM
Ok, here we are at the weekend, and I plan on getting more done on the actual airframe. During the week I have worked on refining the design of the plans and making a 3D version in CAD, which actually has been giving me fits due to the software not being totally compatible with Windows 7. I have been thinking about going to sketchup, which seems to be easier anyway.

Since I have the single Foamanza pretty much locked in plan-wise, I brought the Foamanza Baron back into the mix and designed some VLF nacelles using the profile I drew earlier. I also adjusted the fuselage 's nose shape to look better, and drew up a slightly longer, larger wing. I am thinking the twin could use smaller motors, maybe a couple 17 gram outrunners. If I work it just right I may be able to get the parts for all 3 versions on one sheet, and use one wing that could be cut to length if desired. At any rate, the V35 will be first to fly.

Oh, anyone out there know where to get GOOD HXT 900s, with the white plastic arms and gears? I heard the new ones with black arms are crap.
Last edited by Reehoe; Nov 10, 2012 at 03:30 PM.
Nov 10, 2012, 02:43 PM
Here are a couple pics of me fitting together the roughed out Baron wing parts in CAD.
Nov 11, 2012, 01:57 AM
Almost 2 a.m., very tired. I have been working on the Foamanza V35 airframe, and will post some pictures tomorrow night. In the meantime, here is a few more of the Baron... got the bugs in the CAD program worked out I think.
Last edited by Reehoe; Nov 11, 2012 at 02:39 AM.
Nov 11, 2012, 05:24 AM
Ken's CAD Models
That is going to be one very nice build! I can see it now all sanded out.

What power system is planned for the Baron?

Ken
Nov 11, 2012, 02:51 PM
Well, I haven't yet picked out a power system for the Baron, but was thinking it might work with something like an E-flite park 250 or 300 something similar. It does have more wing area ( I think around 180 sq. in.) & span (36") than the single Foamanzas. I wonder if it could handle 2 Blue Wonders?

What do you think?

Park 250: http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1130

Park 300: http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1150
Nov 11, 2012, 04:43 PM
Ken's CAD Models
I would give my kudos to the Park 250's

Ken
Nov 20, 2012, 10:15 PM
Definitely subscribing! Not enough GA subjects in the foamy scratch-built forum. Excited to see what you're doing with the vac formed parts- it's a great idea to add a nice touch along with the VLF style fuse. Simple, clean, with great lines. Should look sweet in the air. Please complete this thread

Nole
Nov 30, 2012, 10:10 AM
I will, sir! I had to order some parts for this project, but it is still coming along. I will post my progress soon. I have also been working on a cambered wing for the Foamanzas...
Last edited by Reehoe; Nov 30, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
Dec 01, 2012, 06:13 PM
So here are a few rough previews of the Foamanza family... Still waiting for a few more parts for the final assembly push on the Foamanza 35. Does anyone likey?
Dec 01, 2012, 06:28 PM
Ken's CAD Models
They all look great Reehoe!

You would do well for durability on the battery opening to lay some small CF rod (.039"-.051" dia.) on the inside of the outer layer above and below the opening to carry stress loads through the open side. This technique works very well and is relatively cheap to do. They last alot longer.

Ken

Quick Reply