Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 18, 2013, 01:44 AM
IceManPro's Avatar
Looks and sounds nice!
Latest blog entry: BL-3G Independent review
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2013, 06:36 AM
More Speed Indeed!
Hossinarizona's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
I just noticed the blue on the snorkel, did yours come that way or did you do that. it looks great! what paint did you use?, did you go to home depot for paint matching?
I added the blue, it's from a trim sheet of Monokote, there is just too much white on this plane, may add some more here and there.
I have heard that Home Depot can color match just about anything, I think someone here mentioned it
Feb 18, 2013, 07:14 AM
Registered User
RC Scott's Avatar
Thank you to all that contributed to this thread the last 24 hours. I had the joy of traveling on a commercial airline yesterday! There has been great information shared and many great ideas on how to improve this aircraft.

Jack, I love your idea on using the 3M product on the wing tips. I have used this product for years on my trucks and boat trailers. I should probably use this on all my wing tips.

I'm looking forward to getting flight performance feed back on many of the Victorys that have been shipped recently. We will have another shipment of Victorys next week.

Thanks again to all of you!
Last edited by RC Scott; Feb 18, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
Feb 18, 2013, 10:58 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
jfetter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
thanks bud I did find that site and I guess the 8mil stuff should work but Jack said 14mil so I was looking for that
I thought it was 14mil but it may be 8 as well, the paper backing is fairly heavy but doesn't say the thickness. That site I point to makes products for clear protection for cars, that's what I chose, trying to see if the model number from the order indicates thickness...

Jack
Feb 18, 2013, 11:00 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
jfetter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Scott View Post
Thank you to all that contributed to this thread the last 24 hours. I had the joy of traveling on a commercial airline yesterday! There has been great information shared and many great ideas on how to improve this aircraft.

Jack, I love your idea on using the 3M product on the wing tips. I have used this product for years on my trucks and boat trailers. I should probably use this on all my wing tips.

I'm looking forward to getting flight performance feed back on many of the Victorys that have been shipped recently. We will have another shipment of Victorys next week.

Thanks again to all of you!
I am really looking forward to seeing it take off on one fan (if Pablo has the stones, though I probably shouldn't challenge him as it wasn't his greenbacks that paid for it!). Wednesday looks like a good day so far! ;-)

Jack
Feb 18, 2013, 12:55 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
jfetter's Avatar
It's a little too windy outside today so what can I find to add/tweak/change/fix! I was at an event this summer and a guy I met that was checking out my pattern plane, gave me a roll of some plastic-looking tape, about 2 1/2" wide after watching my Sebart Mig skid down the runway on the built-in skids and saying this would help prevent wear. He's an aircraft mechanic and said this was the stuff they used on the leading edges of propellers to prevent damage from bugs and other small debrit, he said it prevents chips and dents.

He also said it's very expensive but has a shelf life as well, so when close to expiration (for applying), they use it up but it was incredibly tough stuff! So while considering the easiest way to cut long, straight strips from my 18" roll of 3M laminate, I remembered this stuff and got the roll out, perfect! I cut strips for the leading edges of the wing, stabs and tail, it's very soft going on and can be streched a little which makes it bend around and form perfectly to the wing, it takes the shape easily and sticks like crazy. Time will tell how durable it is in this application...

Jack
Feb 18, 2013, 02:32 PM
More Speed Indeed!
Hossinarizona's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
It's a little too windy outside today so what can I find to add/tweak/change/fix! I was at an event this summer and a guy I met that was checking out my pattern plane, gave me a roll of some plastic-looking tape, about 2 1/2" wide after watching my Sebart Mig skid down the runway on the built-in skids and saying this would help prevent wear. He's an aircraft mechanic and said this was the stuff they used on the leading edges of propellers to prevent damage from bugs and other small debrit, he said it prevents chips and dents.

He also said it's very expensive but has a shelf life as well, so when close to expiration (for applying), they use it up but it was incredibly tough stuff! So while considering the easiest way to cut long, straight strips from my 18" roll of 3M laminate, I remembered this stuff and got the roll out, perfect! I cut strips for the leading edges of the wing, stabs and tail, it's very soft going on and can be streched a little which makes it bend around and form perfectly to the wing, it takes the shape easily and sticks like crazy. Time will tell how durable it is in this application...

Jack
Jack,
Now you are just teasing us, you have it and we can't All kidding aside, it looks like it will do a great job.

Mike
Feb 18, 2013, 03:21 PM
wannabe Jet guy
CRCJA's Avatar

Nice


Mike,

You Victory add on looks nice, I guess I am going to change the paint job on mine a little bit too.

Ralph


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossinarizona View Post
Well after being a pest with question after question, I think it's about as ready as it going to get! I have the balance right at 3 3/4" and we will go from there, with that sliding battery tray (pretty cool) it will be easy to adjust the C.G. The throws are pretty high but I can switch to low rates if need be, plus a little expo here and there. The RTF weight is 11 LB 2 OZ, no one has mentioned the weight, but I guess it is what is.
Thanks again,
Mike
Feb 18, 2013, 03:36 PM
Watt me worry?
Madmax1965's Avatar
Might as well buy one of the PC versions Jack and save all the sticky tape. I do believe the PC versions will be the way to go.........but that does look good Jack.
Feb 18, 2013, 03:55 PM
Watt me worry?
Madmax1965's Avatar
By the way most auto stores carry the clear tape (I think by 3-M) called Stoneguard...........protects your car from road debris and stones. I have used this on some of my foamies.
Feb 18, 2013, 04:57 PM
More Speed Indeed!
Hossinarizona's Avatar
Does anyone know what the material is that the wing bolts screw into, I had an oops moment and stripped one out Now I need to go up a size and tap out whatever material they screw into. Now at least, I can get some decent bolts that are not metric with phillips heads on them, and use something like a 6/32 or 8/32 bolt
Feb 18, 2013, 05:40 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
jfetter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax1965 View Post
Might as well buy one of the PC versions Jack and save all the sticky tape. I do believe the PC versions will be the way to go.........but that does look good Jack.
I might have had they been in stock ;-)

Jack
Feb 18, 2013, 05:43 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
jfetter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossinarizona View Post
Does anyone know what the material is that the wing bolts screw into, I had an oops moment and stripped one out Now I need to go up a size and tap out whatever material they screw into. Now at least, I can get some decent bolts that are not metric with phillips heads on them, and use something like a 6/32 or 8/32 bolt
Fill it in with a quality epoxy and/or double it with hard wood and simply re-drill the same size hole in the same place. If it's not stripped too bad, you can get some medium CA in, it usually builds up and hardens the stripped threads enough to get good purchase again...

Jack
Feb 18, 2013, 07:05 PM
More Speed Indeed!
Hossinarizona's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Fill it in with a quality epoxy and/or double it with hard wood and simply re-drill the same size hole in the same place. If it's not stripped too bad, you can get some medium CA in, it usually builds up and hardens the stripped threads enough to get good purchase again...

Jack
Hey Jack,

Thanks for the fix, I really would like to change out those screws anyway. I really don't like the phillip head type screws that will constantly be used, sooner or later I will slip off and have a new hole in the wing! If they had socket head cap screws it would be much better, less chance of a hole in the wing.

Mike
Feb 18, 2013, 07:47 PM
EDF all the way!
bruff's Avatar
Go to Ace Hardware and get some "T" nuts and Allen head screws.
Bob


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold New! Epic LT 120 Nitro/Electri ARF Radio Controlled Airline Model Jet (ARF R/C Plane) Go4it Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Oct 29, 2012 06:42 AM
Sold new never seen fuel kyo nexus's pugstrip Aircraft - Fuel - Helis (FS/W) 5 Sep 12, 2012 11:47 PM
Discussion Has anyone seen the new Nutella commercial? Tarro Aerial Photography 7 Aug 07, 2012 11:45 PM
Discussion Anyone seen these new jets yet from banana hobby rjp0325 Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 51 Sep 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Anybody seen the L-19 geared sp400 model in Model Aviation this month? raythomas Scale Kit/Scratch Built 8 Mar 09, 2002 06:55 AM