Mar 02, 2013, 05:03 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill
That's shipping. Add $74.95 for the V959 RTF package with camera. Modules are $8 each.

Thanks.
Just curious if the v959's you have still annoyingly cycle the modules as soon as you bind?

regards . . . g

EDIT: Just read your answer on another thread
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2013, 07:16 PM
Thread OP
My new Blog:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1843473

I figure I'd go into more detail on getting those Micro Losi \ Walkera battery connectors to work better as many still have problems with them.

The first thing to address is the pin angles on charger\RX connector. Typiccally the pins are pointing the wrong way as pictured below. The pins are pointing downwards which will make it hard to insert the connectors as well as cause bad electrical contact if they're that way on your charger:

You want to get a small flat head screwdriver and slightly pry them upwards. You'll notice the connectors will go in easier and make better contact. The first time you insert the battery, it may go in rough, but the the angle of the pins will self-adjust and subsequent insertions will go much more smoothly:

We've been offering a service on our Lipos to remove the little nubs on the batteries in order to make it easier to take the connectors apart. You can see the nub in the picture below:

Instead of modifying each battery, a much better solution is to remove the locking tabs on the the RX connector using a pair of nail clippers:

Tabs removed vs stock. This picture also shows the pins tweaked vs stock:

So there you have it. Happy quading!!
Mar 02, 2013, 08:22 PM
Great tip !! Did you tin the leads on the left one ? Even though I never had too much problem in the first place, I did notice when they are new they are much tougher than the ones that I have used extensively. I always made sure not to stress the wires and my hands/fingers are not real big which helps I'm sure because they are...well micro sized. I'll give it a try because anything more convenient/easier is the way to go imo. The jst connectors kinda scare me because some seem like they will "mate" reversed if your not watching what your doing. Not good in the lipo realm.
Last edited by gamjamm; Mar 02, 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Mar 02, 2013, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
Thanks GJ,

The leads are probably stamped out and the metal deforming looks makes it look that way (my guess). I hate the JST connectors, but that's because they sucked on my V929. The ones on the 959's seem to mate really well and snug, albeit a PITA to get apart. I usually don't insert them all the way, just enough to where they won't come loose in flight.
Mar 02, 2013, 09:42 PM
Closed Account
Last edited by OutBreak44; Jun 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM.
Mar 04, 2013, 11:59 AM
Hi guys. I just wanted to give a huge shoutout to MO and Massive RC. I have ordered an h36 and v202 from them and cannot be happier. both quads shipped out same day i ordered and arrived in cen cal in 3days!!! you have a customer for life.
Mar 04, 2013, 08:14 PM
semper mitis
MO,

Everything arrived intact with your small box. I do a little hunting for the batteries. The 959 and other parts were either taped or tied down and protected appropriately. Even the candy was attached to the flat cardboard base. It was delivered this evening by the USPS ninja. One minute there was no box and the next minute there was a box. There was absolutely no damage to the box not even a dimple. It did however take three days instead of two. I guess that's what I get for placing the order at 11:30 at night. I do have a couple of questions however: how do you separate the light strips and how do you place them on the arms for best visibility. They look like they are just plug-and-play. They seem to be connected by some type of metal strip. One set of strips the metal strip is on top and the other set the metal strip is on the bottom connecting the two sets of lights.
Mar 04, 2013, 08:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroHeliManiac
Hi guys. I just wanted to give a huge shoutout to MO and Massive RC. I have ordered an h36 and v202 from them and cannot be happier. both quads shipped out same day i ordered and arrived in cen cal in 3days!!! you have a customer for life.
Thanks MHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle ben
MO,

Everything arrived intact with your small box. I do a little hunting for the batteries. The 959 and other parts were either taped or tied down and protected appropriately. Even the candy was attached to the flat cardboard base. It was delivered this evening by the USPS ninja. One minute there was no box and the next minute there was a box. There was absolutely no damage to the box not even a dimple. It did however take three days instead of two. I guess that's what I get for placing the order at 11:30 at night. I do have a couple of questions however: how do you separate the light strips and how do you place them on the arms for best visibility. They look like they are just plug-and-play. They seem to be connected by some type of metal strip. One set of strips the metal strip is on top and the other set the metal strip is on the bottom connecting the two sets of lights.
Thanks for the feedback on the packing Ben. The light strips are pre-cut \ scored. Just hold the strip they're attached to with a pair of needle nose pliers and bend the LED at the score that they made and it will snap off.......kind of like cutting tile.

The LEDs are fragile at the solder connection so be careful handling them. I've attached mine by smearing a light coat of super glue over the bottom of the boom using a toothpick or pin being careful not to get glue near the gear housing or frame. You should mount the closer to the gear housing than the mainframe.

I then placed a piece of clear drinking straw cut about 1-7\8" over each boom to protect the LED strip from crashes and handling. If you use drinking straw, you'll have to take a hole punch and enlarge the stock canopy holes. We'll be selling drinking straws for $99 as LED protectors btw
Mar 04, 2013, 09:10 PM
GOT WINGS
I recieved the order I placed on 2-27 today. Had 2 turnigy 300mah 45c batteries in it. Both batteries measured 3.77 volts on my charger. Those batteries are kind of heavy - 9.0 grams. For comparison, the UDI batteries weigh 7.8 grams. I stripped off as much as I could on one of the turnigys(voiding any warranty they might have), added some foam to make it fit the battery compartment on the V202, and managed to get the weight down to 8.3 grams. I guess I may be a little obsessed with reducing weight, I now have a canopy on my V202 that weighs 0.6 grams. I did fly once with the unmodded turnigy, but it was a little windy, and the first charge. Thanks MassiveRC for quick delivery.
Latest blog entry: UMX Air Tractor BNF
Mar 04, 2013, 09:20 PM
oops wrong thread
Mar 04, 2013, 09:29 PM
GOT WINGS
s cosby, I live about 160 miles northwest of you on the red river, so you will probably have the V202 by Friday. And I think you will like it a lot. I have hardly flown my V929s since getting the V202. The V202 likes to be flown in large outdoor spaces and can handle wind up to at least 10mph. But you can fly it indoors too if you want to. Good luck and happpy flying
Mar 05, 2013, 09:02 PM

MassiveRC packaging/initial impression

Just received my v959, modules, lipos, and spares, etc. The box arrived intact with not a trace of abuse [always a good sign]. I shook it slightly to confirm said contents were not loose and it passed the test. When I opened it everything was secured properly and although it took awhile to free it all up, I was glad the attention taken in the "massive overkill" packaging technique was there, and paid off. The wire ties were not even necessary as the precise and ample taping,spacing, and padding provided more than enough protection unless it would get drop-kicked several times over. Next it was inventory time. It was easy with the included itemized order copy and everything was there and a piece of candy to help get through it [butterscotch]. Finally, the quad was noticeably gone over as everything was tight and the gears were graphite lubed. After charging my turnigy nano 600mah 35/70c lipos the quad lifted off gracefully and hovered beautifully with only minimal trim as the lipo went through its course. The noticeable extra punch/longevity was confirmed when I used another turnigy nano on one of my v949's. The stock lipos are good, don't get me wrong, but I can see where these will be even better for outside windy conditions and where a payload is concerned [camera, gun, etc]. Also worth mentioning is the turnigy nano 300mah 45/90 lipos I purchased for my walkera lb-v2 micro quad. Wow. They put the stock 240mah 25c to utter shame and MassiveRC correctly wired the polarity for the intended use. I can solder but man that was nice. Thanks It finally flies how I envisioned it could and the motors were no warmer than usual with the extended fly time/amperage. The 3 day shipping to here was the topper and considering the amount of spares/extra's I got at the same time, the shipping charge was negligible. I now know I have a dependable source for spares that circumvents the "slow-boat". Now....mini-pet or v202 ? Have to think it over
Last edited by gamjamm; Mar 05, 2013 at 09:18 PM.
Mar 06, 2013, 06:26 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the feedback GJ. The V959 requires alot more pre-flight checks than the micro quads. Making sure the booms are fully inserted and tweaking the booms so that prop thrust is square to the bird. If you guys get a chance to see if you get more flight time out of the 600 Turnigy's please let us know.

SF, we also have UDI batteries on their way. They're the 15C not the 25C, but I'm not sure if you all have been raving about the 15C or 25C's and if their is a weight difference between the two (I'm guessing there is). It would be nice to carry only one or two micro quad batteries....one for longevity and one for maximum punch......maybe another momma bear version.

I don't know why we leave the warranty stickers on the Turnigy's. I'm sure Hobby King wouldn't cover shipping return costs and it may lead customers to think we actually offer a warranty on them but I guess I should do a little more investigation on their policy.
Mar 06, 2013, 10:40 AM
GOT WINGS
mo, I just checked my UDI batteries, and there is no C rating written on them.
Mar 06, 2013, 10:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
mo, I just checked my UDI batteries, and there is no C rating written on them.
That's interesting as they do come in 15C and 25C versions.

Quick Reply