Dec 06, 2003, 12:19 PM
Thread OP

Which FMS model best duplicates the flight characteristics of the micro-helis?

Been playing around with FMS for a few days... getting pretty good with keyboard controls :-), I'll switch to using a tx when I have one that will work with FMS, and a cable to plug it in with. Wondering if there is an add on model that can be downloaded that best fits the flight characteristics of the micro helis?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2003, 12:46 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Larry,
FMS is very poor at modeling helicopters. All of the heli models for FMS are way too stable to provide much if any practice toward flying a micro-heli. If all you practice on is FMS, you will be in for quite a shock when you try the real thing. There is another free simulator that is an order of magnitude better than FMS at modeling the flight characteristics of helis. www.preflightsim.com
When you get a transmitter interface, be carefull of the cheap ones that only work with FMS. Make sure you get one that plugs into the joystick port, or a USB one that emulates a PC joystick. That way it will work with almost all simulators, and even PC games like MS Flight Sim. If you don't have a trainer port on your TX, you can just use a PC game pad with dual joysticks. Walmart has one for under $20.

Jeff
Dec 06, 2003, 12:48 PM
Aurora Builder
I also use FMS, with a Microsoft joystick, don't have a connector for my transmiter, yet anyway. I downloaded a Piccolo, most people say they are supposed to be squirmish in real life, this one is definatly NOT. The ThreeDee is more squirmish and harder to fly than the piccolo. Realize that when it comes to forward flight there is only one free simulator that attempts to model transistional lift, and it kills my computer in heli mode . Also, in FMS, as far as I can tell, you can only fly cp helis, and the piccolo I downloaded was an Eco Piccolo (FP), but it flew like a Cp! (i.e, can fly upside down, which FP can't do). In reality, we have to spend around $200 to get a sim that accuratly models helis- FMS works pretty fine for planes! By the way, I am not a heli pilot but would like to become one, this all I have learned in my reasearch on sims.

Sam
Dec 06, 2003, 01:13 PM
Larry,
I have to take back what I said about PreFlight. I just downloaded the latest version, and they have changed the free version so it only supports a 2-axis joystick(ie only one stick). You now have to buy their "Air Show" version to get multi-axis joystick support. It is still a bargain at $37. Also, like Sam said, modeling the true physics of helicopter flight takes a relatively fast computer.

Jeff
Dec 07, 2003, 10:10 AM
Aurora Builder
Yeah, I spent about 4 hrs on my computer downloading Pre-Flight, which by the looks of it modeled helicopters better than FMS, only to find out that it was basically useless to me, because it didn't support my 4 axis joystick . Why does someone advertise a "free" sim but without full joystick support? Now he has turned the free sim into a way to make money selling connectors (which I will probably get anyway, because they are competitivly priced and come with a sim). BTW, does the latest version model transistional lift? From what I can see, it doesn't, but the copters hover more squimishly than FMS (since I can't use rudder or throttle on my joystick, it is virtually impossible to fly helicopters with a mixture of joystick and keyboard-you at least need rudder on the joystick!) .

Sam
Dec 07, 2003, 10:59 AM
Here is a small program that will let you map your left joystick(or any other joysticks or buttons) to keystrokes. I have used it with PreFlight with an old gamepad that only had buttons on the left, and it was flyable. http://www.deinmeister.de/jct_e.htm

Jeff

Quick Reply