Thread Tools
Oct 28, 2012, 07:27 AM
Registered User
Discussion

Fixing elevator on ailevator turning to side on a Futaba T12Z


I have a flying wing type jet (radjet from hk), that has the combined aileron and elevator. When I apply up or down elevator, it has some "aileron" in it too.

The radio I have is the Futaba T12Z, which I am pretty sure has some intelligent feature to compensate for this, other than a manual mix from elevator -> aileron. I am pretty new to this radio, so please tell me where to look for it.

I also think this has propably been discussed before, but because of my lack of knowledge of the right "terms" the searching is really hard.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2012, 08:19 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
freechip's Avatar
http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/12z-manual.pdf
Oct 28, 2012, 09:33 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
I have the manual, I just wished somebody who has done a similar thing could have hinted me on the name of the function or something.

I guess I'll have to start reading through the plane-part then...
Thanks for the help anyway
Oct 28, 2012, 09:36 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
freechip's Avatar
You are just trying to figure out how to mix aileron with elevator?
Most just create and elevator to aileron mix for that type of setup.
Oct 28, 2012, 09:54 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
You are just trying to figure out how to mix aileron with elevator?
Most just create and elevator to aileron mix for that type of setup.
The tx did the elevon mix automatically after choosing the right wing/tail types. The problem I am having is the elevator "not going straight up or down". For example if I pull the plane up, it banks a bit to left.

I am wondering if there is a way on the 12Z to correct this, other than creating a mix manually.
Oct 28, 2012, 10:39 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
freechip's Avatar
On my radio brand I would simply adjust servo travel for that channel.

Using a deflection gauge I would measure so that both are equal. Then it becomes a matter of trim the two elevator channels so there is no roll when you pull up.
Oct 28, 2012, 12:01 PM
60 years of RC flying
Daedalus66's Avatar
This first thing to do in any such situation to look at the monitor screen on the transmitter to see if the mix is doing its job properly and whether the signals to the two servos are clean and linear. Do elevator and aileron stick movements produce symmetrical output signals? If so, the next issues are with the servos and/or linkage.

Connect the two servos with a Y-cable. Are they centered? Do they respond with equal angular throws? If not, and they are digital, can you reprogram one or both?

When you've got that sorted out, measure the control surface throws and adjust the arm, horn and linkage setups to get everything equal and symmetrical.

Finally, it's time to see how the model responds in the air and introduce adjustments to correct for aerodynamic issues. But you should do this only after you have worked out the other potential problems.
Oct 28, 2012, 12:09 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
Do you know if there is an updated version of the manual? For example my system menu has a few options more than the one in the manual.
Oct 28, 2012, 12:23 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
freechip's Avatar
I don't have a futaba radio but if you check the manufacturers website where you get downloads, there might be a pdf of added features for your radio.
Oct 28, 2012, 01:42 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
I don't have a futaba radio but if you check the manufacturers website where you get downloads, there might be a pdf of added features for your radio.
The only thing I could find on the futaba website was the release notes for the newest update, but the only things in it affected some helicopter gyro functions and the servo test function. I guess I could try sending the futaba tech support an email asking for it.

Daedalus66: I'll take a closer look at your instructions when I get to the jet. Thanks for posting.
Oct 29, 2012, 12:06 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
On my radio brand I would simply adjust servo travel for that channel.

Using a deflection gauge I would measure so that both are equal. Then it becomes a matter of trim the two elevator channels so there is no roll when you pull up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
This first thing to do in any such situation to look at the monitor screen on the transmitter to see if the mix is doing its job properly and whether the signals to the two servos are clean and linear. Do elevator and aileron stick movements produce symmetrical output signals? If so, the next issues are with the servos and/or linkage.

Connect the two servos with a Y-cable. Are they centered? Do they respond with equal angular throws? If not, and they are digital, can you reprogram one or both?

When you've got that sorted out, measure the control surface throws and adjust the arm, horn and linkage setups to get everything equal and symmetrical.

Finally, it's time to see how the model responds in the air and introduce adjustments to correct for aerodynamic issues. But you should do this only after you have worked out the other potential problems.
After all it seemed to be caused by the other servo moving more than the other. I didn't have an Y-harness, and I wanted to go flying, so I just adjusted travel for the other channel and trimmed the plane again.

Then I did a full-speed "landing" (not intentional). It ripped of one of the wings, and snapped off the motor's shaft. I did not find the prop + adapter either. Just as I got the plane trimmed...

At least there is a good reason to go for a bigger/faster motor + prop
Just if the HK orderds wouldn't take a few months to arrive...


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion blitzwork f-18 70mm ESC beeping (receiver wont turn on)FIX! Ziffnab Foamy EDFs 1 Feb 04, 2014 12:45 AM
Discussion Futaba T8FG vs T12Z (feature-wise) varesa Radios 6 Oct 28, 2012 07:33 AM
Question Fixed PWM on OS/Futaba ESC PatternFlyer Power Systems 1 Sep 04, 2012 05:09 AM
Question looking for a PPM signal Futaba T12Z jdm66 FPV Talk 2 Jan 31, 2011 06:50 AM
Help! Ailevator function on Futaba 7C 2.4GHz Mike Smart Radios 4 Mar 09, 2009 05:43 AM