Dec 14, 2012, 06:07 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
Basically W, the small piece is the up stop for the blade. I don't think I've ever seen it come close to hitting that. More importantly, it also maintains the delta angle for the blade. That's the angle the blade "twists" as it goes through its revolution. The blade does need to flap and the angle of attack needs to change as well.
If you get a chance, read the very informative section on Autogyro aerodynamics here on this forum. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614030
It helps to understand what makes thing things fly.

Don
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2012, 07:11 PM
PSALM 14:1
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman
When you do the toothpick on the inner hole, do you ream out the plastic so it will fit all the way thru to the barrel of the toothpick?

Yes, I reamed mine out a bit so that the t.pick will fit better.

I cut a handful of t.picks into 3/4" long sections (with no pointy parts) and keep them in the tool box.
Dec 14, 2012, 07:38 PM
Makes sense fellas....thanks!
Dec 15, 2012, 11:04 AM
Keep it simple
Hi all,

I've been exploring the envelope with the Auto-G. Here is a movie, shot by my mate Bob again, that shows the take-off technique I spoke about in my last post along with some loops, stall turns and a couple of touch-and-go landings.

Hope you enjoy it, this is a great little autogyro.

Al

Durafly Auto-G 15 December 2012 (3 min 47 sec)
Dec 15, 2012, 01:34 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Very smooth flying Al!
Dec 15, 2012, 05:54 PM
Do you see what I see?
Nice video!!
Dec 16, 2012, 03:29 AM
Keep it simple
Thanks guys

It's the Auto-G and great camera work that makes it.

Al
Dec 16, 2012, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfoot
Hi all,

I've been exploring the envelope with the Auto-G. Here is a movie, shot by my mate Bob again, that shows the take-off technique I spoke about in my last post along with some loops, stall turns and a couple of touch-and-go landings.

Hope you enjoy it, this is a great little autogyro.

Al
Any idea what the windspeed was during this flight? I noticed the rotor was going pretty good before it had even started to move.
Dec 16, 2012, 09:49 AM
Keep it simple
Scott,

The wind was about 5mph. I had spun the rotor up by hand as well, should have left that in the movie.

Al
Dec 17, 2012, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfoot
Scott,

The wind was about 5mph. I had spun the rotor up by hand as well, should have left that in the movie.

Al
Good to know. Thanks. I was very impressed with the flying. <bow low>
Dec 17, 2012, 01:42 AM
I am so thoroughly disgusted with myself. I mounted my gopro camera on the head mount, turned it on and proceeded to fly one of my best flights with the Auto-G to date. I performed a flawless, virtually hands off rog take off. I did double loops, aileron rolls, snap rolls, walking touch and goes, low slow flybys and a beautiful zero rollout landing.

Apparently, I can master the idiosyncrasies of Autogyro piloting but I'm clueless on the quite complicated operation of one button filming. I did manage to take two still photos, one of me pushing a button at the beginning of the flight and the other pic of me pushing the button at the end of the flight. Who knew that one needs to verify the camera is set to video and not photo if you want to capture an entire flight

I did mount the gopro on the Kellett and got an interesting point of view for the flight. I plan to take the video my mate took of the flight and edit the two together for a new perspective of flight.

Al, you make photography seem so effortless! Well done.

Don
Last edited by Skydanz; Dec 17, 2012 at 01:51 AM.
Dec 17, 2012, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydanz
I am so thoroughly disgusted with myself. I mounted my gopro camera on the head mount, turned it on and proceeded to fly one of my best flights with the Auto-G to date. I performed a flawless, virtually hands off rog take off. I did double loops, aileron rolls, snap rolls, walking touch and goes, low slow flybys and a beautiful zero rollout landing.

Apparently, I can master the idiosyncrasies of Autogyro piloting but I'm clueless on the quite complicated operation of one button filming. I did manage to take two still photos, one of me pushing a button at the beginning of the flight and the other pic of me pushing the button at the end of the flight. Who knew that one needs to verify the camera is set to video and not photo if you want to capture an entire flight

I did mount the gopro on the Kellett and got an interesting point of view for the flight. I plan to take the video my mate took of the flight and edit the two together for a new perspective of flight.

Al, you make photography seem so effortless! Well done.

Don
You may be my brother from another mother.
Dec 17, 2012, 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
You may be my brother from another mother.
Ahhh, virtual genetic predisposition. One of my mates summed me up quite well. He said "Somewhere down the line, you got off the bus". Wow! How could he know me so well?

Just wait till he sees my Tumblewing taxi out! Then he'll know I missed the bus altogether.

D-d-d-d-d-Don
Dec 17, 2012, 03:40 AM
Don
I find it so hard to believe that a grown man can make such a basic mistake with a piece of modern tecknowledgy [do you like that spelling?].......are we the only two that do it ????
Chris..............
Dec 17, 2012, 03:53 AM
Mildly Confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz
Don
I find it so hard to believe that a grown man can make such a basic mistake with a piece of modern tecknowledgy [do you like that spelling?].......are we the only two that do it ????
Chris..............
Not at all, me too. Shall we call a pofeshnial or cock it up by ourselves.
Paul.

Quick Reply