Sep 26, 2019, 06:19 PM
Autogyro blades normally run with a 2-3-4 deg neg incidence ...so having the mass of the weight towards the L/E ...assists .
If the mass of the weight is towards the rear of the blade...then this may assist the blade to loose its incidence and so loose lift.
Chris...
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2019, 09:56 AM
Keep it simple
Here is a short flight of my Auto-G dong some touch and goes the other day.

Enjoy,

Al

Als auto-g on a sunny Sunday (3 min 31 sec)
Nov 11, 2019, 05:27 PM
PSALM 14:1
Thread OP
Very nice Al, you’re the gyro king!
Nov 11, 2019, 07:04 PM
Do you see what I see?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70
Very nice Al, you’re the gyro king!
Awe man no doubt!!!

Makes me wanna get the dust off mine & take her up!!!!

Been several years since she’s been airborne & I sure won’t by doing any touch & go’s like that for awhile, LOL, if I can only quite flying FlexInnovations FV-31 Cypher!!!!

Thanks for vid, really nice!!!

Coconut
Nov 11, 2019, 08:27 PM
PSALM 14:1
Thread OP
Al --any guess what the wind speed was from the day of the video?
Nov 23, 2019, 07:50 AM
very nicely done, Al! your video made me want to order another.
Nov 23, 2019, 11:44 PM
Hi, I recently hat a successful maiden flight with the Auto-G2, thanks to the pre-rotation, since I was never able to get my Luobo V2s off the ground properly.
But there seems to a be problem with electronics. Regularly, the pre-rotation motor does not spin up when I flip the switch on the sender. Sometimes it goes on and off multiple times, and sometimes it works flawlessly. I checked that the receiver (Spektrum) correctly gets the input by connecting another Servo to the channel instead of the brushed ESC. I also checkt that the ESC itself is working by connecting it to a servo tester/adjustment board. Could there be any incompatibility between the ESC and the receiver? Do you have any suggestions with what type I could replace the brushed ESC?
Thanks for any helpful suggestion!
Martin
Nov 24, 2019, 08:35 AM
I also use Spektrum and have had no issues so I don't believe there is a basic incompatibility. What TX and RX do you have? What channel are you using and are you sure it is going full travel each time? Perhaps if you accidentally somehow have some dual rates on it or a mix from some other channel, it is sometimes not going 100% sometimes? When you have a failure you could look at the TX monitor screen to double check the channel output. If you were to put a Y-cable in temporarily so you had both the pre-rotation motor and a servo hooked up you could be assured that the channel was (or wasn't) working and reaching full travel each time you flipped the switch during debug as well.

If the channel is working properly and you haven't already you could try different channels from your RX just to see if you still get the inconsistent starts or not. I would also go through and check solder connections on all the leads at the ESC and motor in case there is a loose one or perhaps a wire that is broken from being flexed? If you flip the switch and it does not start, leave the switch on and start wiggling wires around and see if it starts. I suppose it could be a bad motor as well, perhaps a bad spot in the commutator. Again, if you flip the switch and it does not start, try rotating the shaft by hand just a bit and see if it starts. Lastly, I suppose it could be something in the gear box so you might rotate the shaft by hand to see if you can feel any spot with excessive interference or tightness?
Nov 29, 2019, 05:17 PM
Hi mdmyers,
thanks a lot for your help and suggestions. I was able to run a few extra tests today.
My sender is a Spektrum DX6i, the receiver is a Spetrum AR610. I swapped it out against another receiver of the same type I had lying around, but the problem still persists.
Today, the usual:
- Testing at home: Everything works
- Going out to the flying field: The Motor doesn't work.
- Tested with fully charged and half discharged battery - no difference.
- Back at home: Motor still does not work.
So I connected Y-cable as you suggested with a servo and the (brushed) ESC together
- The serve moves according to the input from the remote
- The ESC does not move
- Wiggled and verified all cables, no change.
Without swapping the battery, I connect the ESC to a servo tester/adjuster: Works without problem. It also works if I set the servo tester to 50% or really any level _before_ connecting the ESC, so the ESC is not waiting for a 0 signal for initialisation. Also, the motor itself is working fine and not blocked or anything.
ESC connected back to the remote: Nothing. Except for the servo on the other end of the Y cable which does its job perfectly.
I verified and checked on the monitor in the transmitter that the travel for the "gear" channel I'm using is set to max for both the high and the low level.

Then, after a while of testing, the motor starts to react intermettently (on/off/on/off while the transmitter is constantly set to ON), and a minute later everything works perfectly. Wiggling and pulling on all the cables, no change. Everything as it should be.
But I know next time I go out to the flying field I'll have the same problem again. That's really frustrating...
I'ld be happy for any other suggestions on what to test, swap out..
I would just replace the ESC but the original part is not available right now.. I could buy a brushed ESC from another brand.. but what power rating should I go for?

[Edit:] Definitely some time dependence. I powered up the plane, the motor didn't work, and after a few minutes of waiting it started working. What could that be? Some component coming up to "working temperature"?
Martin
Last edited by der_smo; Nov 30, 2019 at 12:07 AM.
Nov 30, 2019, 01:33 PM
cmd
cmd
1. Rebind the receiver to the transmitter

2. Check the three ESC wires going from ESC to the motor. Make sure all connections are good (wiggle them with throttle at low setting and model restrained). You say you did this, but it sounds like one of the three signals isn't getting to the motor all the time.
Nov 30, 2019, 05:06 PM
As it's a DC motor there's only two wires to it, but certainly worth double checking.

The intermittent operation is frustrating but the fact that it seems to start working better after being powered on for a while certainly may point to some component on the ESC that is temperature sensitive. If you measure the voltage at the motor terminals when things are working and when they are not it might provide some information: If the voltage goes away when the motor will not run then the issue would seem to be the ESC while if the voltage is there it points to the motor. I measure just under 4v DC at the motor when activated.

If it proves to be the ESC, it might be worth cutting off the heat shrink and looking at the solder joints and components under some magnification for any issues. You could also try heating different portions of the ESC to see if you can identify the problem section and/or component.

I'm sorry, but I don't know exactly what to recommend as far as specs on an alternate, I certainly can't believe it's too many amps, 10-20 perhaps?
Jan 26, 2020, 05:13 PM
Does anyone have a spectrum setup file they'd care to share?
Jan 27, 2020, 03:30 AM
User Registered
Never heard of a spektrum setup file but I use opentx.

I have read up to page 148 so far and have tried to fly my G2 once a couple of years ago. I dont even remember what went wrong anymore. I`m just pondering whether to take it tomorrow and try again seen as all the information on flying it is fresh in my brain.
Jan 27, 2020, 08:47 AM
Attached is what I am using on my DX9 at Airware version 2.03
Jan 27, 2020, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmyers
Attached is what I am using on my DX9 at Airware version 2.03
Thank you very much!

Quick Reply