Oct 25, 2012, 07:17 PM
making crashing a lifestyle!
Thread OP
Discussion

the HK/Holybro MultiWii 328P Flight Controller w/FTDI & DSM2 Port

i couldn't find a dedicated thread, so i guess i'll open one up.

this thread is primary about the:
Hobby King / Holybro MultiWii 328P Flight Controller w/FTDI & DSM2 Port
if you have any "good to know info" questions or other stuff you want to share about the HK/HolyBro MultiWii 328P Flight Controller w/FTDI & DSM2 Port this is the thread to be.

i will try to keep the most usefull stuff in the first two posts, but to get the usefull stuff i will need your help.

the Hobby King / Holybro MultiWii 328P Flight Controller is a flight controller which runs on the MultiWii code. MultiWii (MWII) is an open source code. for more in depth info and such check out the RC groups thread..

the HK MultiWii 328P flight controller (MWII 328P) comes with the following sensors:
• Atmega328P
• ITG3205 Triple Axis Gyro
• BMA180 Accelerometer
• BMP085 Barometer
• HMC5883L Magnetometer
• Servo output for camera pitch and roll control
• Separate 3.3v regulated power supply for the sensors
• On board logic level converter

Dimensions 50x50x12mm

The MWII328P comes preloaded with quadX 2.1 firmware if you get it from HobbyKing.
if you want other firmwares (tri, quad+, hexaX,hexa+ etc etc) you have to compile your own.
to change the firmware you need arduino (which can be found here) and change some lines/defines in config.h and def.h. (more info later if needed.)
the MultiWii firmware can be found here, this package contains the MWII code and the MWII GUI (MultiWii Graphic User Interface).

to calibrate and fine tune your MWII328P and setup auxchannels as well check settings you will need the MWII GUI.

a nice tutorial can be found here.
all files can be found in my cloud storage also.

i hope this thread will grow for newbe's in the MWII world using the MWII 328P.
Last edited by dutchcommando; Oct 26, 2012 at 04:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2012, 07:18 PM
Thread OP

additional info

reserved for additional info.

Oct 25, 2012, 09:44 PM
The above links to MWII GUI and tutorial do not work.
Oct 26, 2012, 04:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhokita
The above links to MWII GUI and tutorial do not work.
thanks fixed.
Oct 30, 2012, 08:04 AM

schematics for the board

Anyone know where to get the schematics of the board - or what changes are required to enable the AUX channels - need to know what pins the other three are connected to so that I can enable them in the def.h
Oct 31, 2012, 03:43 PM
AUX1 works out of the box. I could not get AUX2 to work - there are reports that the processor cannot handle more than one AUX port unless you use the satellite. When you use the satellite with this board you cannot also use the USB port - and the satellite connection maps AUX1 to the GEAR switch, and AUX1 to the AUX2 switch, at least on my JR9503.

The latest issue I am having with this board is that I can no longer flash it after uploading the r1177 multiwii. Guess I'll have to figure out how to program with an AVR programmer...
Oct 31, 2012, 06:38 PM
What is the issue that you are having in flashing the board?? If you are get the not in sync error then I have actually found a couple of issues that have caused this: The first was having the AUX2 connected to the RX. I'm assuming that it is actually connected to the Serial RX/TX lines and therefore creating the issue.
The second was a silly config change that I did.

There could have been a change in the code that has effected the serial for R1177 - for this you need to try to catch the board startup while the bootloader is running and not the actual program.
Start the compile and flash of the board from the Arduino Gui without the board plugged in. Once it gets to about halfway then plug the board in. It will probably take a few goes to try to catch it at the right time - other option is as you say use the AVR programmer.

I actually wanted the schematic so that I could see where the AUX2-4 pins were actually connected to. The 328P should be capable of atleast 2 AUX ports with a standard RX and all 4 ports with a serial RX.
Oct 31, 2012, 08:16 PM
Thread OP
i have heard about using the unnamed pin next to the D11 pin,it should be D12 but is unnamed, for the AUX2 and comment out the line that let's you use D12 as Aux2.

i haven't tried it though..
Nov 01, 2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the tip about receiver being connected to AUX2. That's what it was.
Nov 02, 2012, 03:51 AM
I've been waiting for a thread dedicated to this board as I am a owner of one .
Im using it on my micro quad which is about 20cm m2m, it's a pain to calibrate the PIDs. I can barely get of the ground with it currently, the problem is that the quad seems to tilt to any side in the air which causes it to kiss the floor and send the props flying across the room . Every since one of the folding props of my sailplane came loose and smacked me between my eyes I've always used safety goggles while operating RC stuff.
Last edited by xardinen; Nov 02, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Nov 02, 2012, 05:22 AM
Thread OP
did you trim it out in acro before attempting PID tunning?

also i had problems at first, although the board was calibrated with the upside up en perfect level, in the GUI it showed up like it was upside down..
a recalibration fixed that for me.

i am still PID tunning and i still have a slight wobble and drift.. my PID's are pretty high P and D above ten, but I under 0,030.
it flies ok, but not as great is it should be..
Nov 02, 2012, 11:00 AM
No I didnt as I couldnt read my PIDs from the GUI if I only had the gyros defined in the code and leaved the acc commented. Now I've assigned acc to aux1 but its still a bitch to tune. As I said the quad seems to tilt to either side when trying to fly, maybe too low P.
Nov 02, 2012, 03:07 PM
Thread OP
yeah sounds familiar..
Nov 03, 2012, 01:04 PM
Second time it flips over and sends pieces of two props flying across the room, this is getting really frustrating. I dont know what Im missing in the configuration.
Nov 03, 2012, 04:04 PM
Thread OP
can you paste your config.H?

Quick Reply