Dec 16, 2016, 07:12 PM
Pro Bro # 2398

whats up ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micubano
I recently had the Edge out a few times. The first time was just a maintenance run to make sure everything worked. Then I just wanted to keep flying it most of the week. Definitely one of my favorite planes. Ultimate2 is still at my #1 spot and has been for a while now.
I put my Edge up on the shelf 3years ago in the box and never touched any of my planes since. not sure what went wrong.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2016, 07:17 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Don
Anyone got an Edge 540QQ sitting around gathering dust? I 'm in the market for one in good shape

Thanks!

Don
i got one brand new in box, what ya give me for it ? waycar1@gmail.com
Dec 16, 2016, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GassPasser
i got one brand new in box, what ya give me for it ? waycar1@gmail.com
How much are you looking for, I like this one a lot and have it and the Viking. Got a NIB Viking waiting until the original gets trashed but so far so good, wouldn't mind the same with the edge.

Dave
Dec 17, 2016, 09:13 AM
Pro Bro # 2398

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman4498
How much are you looking for, I like this one a lot and have it and the Viking. Got a NIB Viking waiting until the original gets trashed but so far so good, wouldn't mind the same with the edge.

Dave
thanks but after second thought i will probably keep it.
Dec 18, 2016, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GassPasser
thanks but after second thought i will probably keep it.
I think that is a good choice.

Dave
Mar 15, 2017, 09:48 PM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
I really liked this plane..... but during a snap I had a sudden motor mount failure and resulting ejection of the motor. I had actually added sfg's made of 1/32 light ply, and covered with light trim sheet material. I added white LED's facing in from the wingtips, LED's on the LG facing up, and other trim details. For a year I debated whether to scrap it or repair it. I finally decided I would take it apart and rebuild a plane in the same scale with the parts. I'm going to do a depron Edge with the same wingspan as this one, and shoot for lighter weight construction. I plan to add UV LED's to shine on flourescent colored covering to illuminate it in flight. It should only take a few LED's to make it shine bright. I'm used to adding over 100 led's when doing a night flyer. With this I'm hoping to do 10 or less, and let the fluorescent coloring do the work of providing color and shape for orientation. This is a new idea I had, so I'll post how it goes when I actually get it going. I hadn't visited this thread since I first got this plane, so I returned to find the specs for the new build to happen. I attached some pics of my beauty before she died.
Mar 16, 2017, 09:07 AM
Flying every chance I get!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuegodeth
I really liked this plane.....
That sucks and sorry to hear. That was a nice looking QQ. I had a motor mount failure with my Yak 54 3X over the summer, but I was still on the ground when it happened. It will probably always be my most embarrassing moment at my field. I'll be checking my 540qq motor mount tonight and look at ways to reinforce it. I would hate to lose it.
Mar 16, 2017, 09:12 AM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Thanks. I had quite a few flights on her, but there was not any crash damage before hand. I just did a rather violent snap and had very full control throws. The motor was still hanging by the wires when the plane crashed into some rock rip-rap. I was flying over an empty detention pond at the time. Anyway, I've got high hopes for the replacement build. I've got a bunch of 3mm and 6mm depron, so I'm going to do a full fuse/built up wing replacement using the electronics, which are all in good working order.
Mar 20, 2017, 09:24 PM
My rudder servo crapped out on 2nd flight....hard landing. replaced it with a mini servo I had on hand but it was heavier...then replaced an ail servo, and the next thing I knew, I had a piggy in the air. it flew terrible.

anything you add as weight to this plane will hurt it's flight performance.

I ended up just giving it to a guy at the field....I was done wrangling this plane.

The plane had a lot of promise, but that cheap brittle foam turned me off the plane....and yes, I know they used it for the weight savings, which brings me back to my first point....lol.

That said if I knew then what I know now, I probably would have dealt with the plane differently and might have thought of it as a keeper.
Apr 08, 2017, 11:04 PM

Guess what I found...

I find the '280-size' planes the perfect size for the huge indoor venue we have access to. They're larger than 'micros' so they're easier to see and not as 'twitchy', but still very light, and small enough to do aerobatics comfortably indoors. Even the outdoor guys like them! For whatever reason, E-Flite chose to discontinue the series and unfortunately they haven't replaced them with anything similar in size.

I have the Viking and Inverza and both are excellent flyers. But I always wanted an Edge...

It took me a LONG time to track one down. I had pretty much given up all hope of ever finding one and as a last resort I posted a 'want ad' here on R/C Groups. A guy responded that he had seen one sitting on the shelf in a hobby shop in on the East Coast! I called them. They had it. And I bought it. The (successful!!) maiden flight was last Thursday at the Sparta Dome. Woo Hoo!

Knowing the way I fly, I figured it might be prudent to stock up on replacement parts for the Edge while they're still available. So, I ordered all the parts to make a complete airframe. Guess what happens. The very next day, a guy posts an ad for a brand-new-in-the-box Edge 540QQ on R/C Groups. Dang!

I mentioned to the Bride that I wished I'd waited just one more day to order spare parts. But, sweetheart that she is, she says just go ahead and get the second one too! So, I went from having no Edge 540QQs to having '2½' of them!

The maiden flight went well. My Viking came with an AS3X receiver and I like the way it flies. The stock Inverza receiver is non-AS3X, but I did a 'brain transplant' and installed a reprogrammed AS3X receiver in it and I like the way it flies too. I have a spare AS3X receiver on hand and planed to install it in the Edge 540, but figured I'd do the maiden without it. I found the Edge very agile even on low rates, but surprisingly stable too so I think I'll just stick with the stock receiver.

Don
Apr 09, 2017, 08:34 AM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Don
I find the '280-size' planes the perfect size for the huge indoor venue we have access to. They're larger than 'micros' so they're easier to see and not as 'twitchy', but still very light, and small enough to do aerobatics comfortably indoors. Even the outdoor guys like them! For whatever reason, E-Flite chose to discontinue the series and unfortunately they haven't replaced them with anything similar in size.

I have the Viking and Inverza and both are excellent flyers. But I always wanted an Edge...

It took me a LONG time to track one down. I had pretty much given up all hope of ever finding one and as a last resort I posted a 'want ad' here on R/C Groups. A guy responded that he had seen one sitting on the shelf in a hobby shop in on the East Coast! I called them. They had it. And I bought it. The (successful!!) maiden flight was last Thursday at the Sparta Dome. Woo Hoo!

Knowing the way I fly, I figured it might be prudent to stock up on replacement parts for the Edge while they're still available. So, I ordered all the parts to make a complete airframe. Guess what happens. The very next day, a guy posts an ad for a brand-new-in-the-box Edge 540QQ on R/C Groups. Dang!

I mentioned to the Bride that I wished I'd waited just one more day to order spare parts. But, sweetheart that she is, she says just go ahead and get the second one too! So, I went from having no Edge 540QQs to having '2½' of them!

The maiden flight went well. My Viking came with an AS3X receiver and I like the way it flies. The stock Inverza receiver is non-AS3X, but I did a 'brain transplant' and installed a reprogrammed AS3X receiver in it and I like the way it flies too. I have a spare AS3X receiver on hand and planed to install it in the Edge 540, but figured I'd do the maiden without it. I found the Edge very agile even on low rates, but surprisingly stable too so I think I'll just stick with the stock receiver.

Don
I wish I knew you wanted one. I have one that I don't fly anymore ( Don't have any batteries left that hold charge). I'm in MI so not even that far away too.
On thing I did was take a couple Styrofoam plates and cut some SFGs and spacers and glue them to the wingtips. It really helped for Knifeedge flight. Looks pretty good too. Sharpie lime and blue match the color from 5 ft away.

Image Link

-Brian
Apr 09, 2017, 11:34 AM
Digital Don, That's a sharp looking Edge right there. Very cool. I wish we had an indoor venue here that allowed flying. I've looked at certain buildings at the fair-grounds, most don't have a high enough ceiling. They'd seemed high enough for my liking( a few stories of wide open).. but would still take some control... There's probably not enough interest in it to warrant looking into. My club has used a high-school gym in the past, but it was never a regular place. I'm sure power and energy to run the lights isn't cheap in some areas... let alone heat in other areas... but I'm glad some get to enjoy these places..

Oh well... I've been dwindling down on smaller planes anyway. I've still got a few though... I don't think I could ever be without at least a few.

Have fun everyone.
Apr 09, 2017, 02:53 PM
BMFA 190658
Shame about the 280 class being discontinued.

I like them a lot, they're the perfect size, if there'd been a 280 Sbach in Thunderbolt colours I'd have gotten a squadron!!!
Apr 09, 2017, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
I wish I knew you wanted one. I have one that I don't fly anymore ( Don't have any batteries left that hold charge). I'm in MI so not even that far away too.
On thing I did was take a couple Styrofoam plates and cut some SFGs and spacers and glue them to the wingtips. It really helped for Knifeedge flight. Looks pretty good too. Sharpie lime and blue match the color from 5 ft away.

Image Link

-Brian
Thanks Brian,

That looks great! I may try it myself.

I had a heck of a time matching the 'purple' color. One guy on this thread found Americana Ultramarine Blue DA225 . I looked at that paint but it was only a fair match. What I wound up doing was adding Americana Dioxazine Purple in a ratio of 2 parts blue to 1 part purple. That match is almost exact even up close.

Don
Apr 09, 2017, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot
Shame about the 280 class being discontinued.

I like them a lot, they're the perfect size, if there'd been a 280 Sbach in Thunderbolt colours I'd have gotten a squadron!!!
I bought up the last Viking I could find for $99 late last year. It's still in the box, but at least I've got one!

Quick Reply