Feb 10, 2013, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv
ok so I finally got around to repairing this and now the rudder servo only turns half way. When I move the stick left, fine. When I move the stick right, nothing. Actually, when I move the stick right, all the other control surfaces move a bit.

Does this sound like a stripped servo?

I've already replaced the rudder servo once and don't look forward to doing it again as it was a bit of a pain getting the servo wire through the small hole inside the tail.
Sounds like you've got a mix in the transmitter moving the other control surfaces. Did you load up the 540QQ profile from HorizonHobby or tweek it some yourself?

I don't have an answer for the rudder servo.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2013, 08:47 PM
mdv
mdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq
Sounds like you've got a mix in the transmitter moving the other control surfaces. Did you load up the 540QQ profile from HorizonHobby or tweek it some yourself?

I don't have an answer for the rudder servo.
This is with the untweaked DX8 HorizonHobby proifle.
Feb 10, 2013, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv
This is with the untweaked DX8 HorizonHobby proifle.
Yeah... I think they have rudder mixes dialed in. So that's that mystery. But the servo only going half way... I just don't know.
Feb 10, 2013, 11:41 PM
Went and picked one of these beauties up from west valley hobbies about a week ago. Just got back into flying after a couple month hiatus so not flying this one til I get a little more stick time on the cc I picked up.

Got a tp 480 25c and 2 nanotech 460s ready and waiting though. Also just ordered up a couple 7035 props. Think I may get one of the tp 325s after I try the ones I have now. This 480 will be the first tp pack I've ever used, always had Hyperion and nanotechs. Excited to try the tp.

I'm about 120 pages into this thread and liking what I've been reading about this plane. Seems like its gonna be a fun one. About to set up my rates and expos so its all ready when I am. Lots of great info in here and I know what to lookout for before flying. Keep it up guys!
Feb 11, 2013, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsheeMS
Having an extra set of hands to hold the plane while you work the servo out would be beneficial. The servo is either glued or taped to the fuse. If you can get under it with a couple picks it should wiggle out. Tape a piece of string to the servo plug at the receiver before you pull it out of the fuse. You'll need this to pull the new lead back through to the Rx. I've had a couple where the lead slid right out but some take a good tug to force the lead out. Some good two sided servo tape is really all you need to hold the new servo in. The hardest part for me was getting the servo lead unplugged from the Rx. It can be a real PITA!
Cool. Thanks for the tips! Now I just have to figure out where to get some servo gears....
Charles
Feb 11, 2013, 01:27 PM
Diverted by planks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmoney97lgt
Went and picked one of these beauties up from west valley hobbies about a week ago.,, not flying this one til I get a little more stick time on the cc I picked up.!
Fantastic!

You'll find it to be both easy to fly in low or mid rates, but also barrel-of-monkeys fun, once you select high (3D) rates.

Just be sure on this one to give it not just a usual controls-check functional type pre-flight for your maiden, but also do a good firm physical 'waggle' test, pulling on the landing gear (sometimes not well-glued) on the prop (adapter and or mount sometimes loose), gently pulling outward on rudder (CA hinges sometimes assembled dry, so they pull out in flight), and be prepared to re-glue the rear batt hatch hinge if it pulls loose (the tight fit of the pins in the barrel make it so if you lift up even slightly on the front of the hatch lid, before it gets some natural wear and loosens up a bit, you are accidentally levering the mount away from it's foam mount, so that can come loose)....be sure the wings are well mounted and the screws fit well. If the screws won't fit, lots of prior ideas in the thread for fixing that -- in the end, I just added a dab of Uhu Poh as an easily removable glue-seal to my wing tenons, where they meet the fuse cut-away.

The design of this plane is phenomenal, but early units had some assembly issues, so taking a few minutes to do your own little personal QC prior to flight is cheap insurance!
Feb 11, 2013, 03:22 PM
More Planes Than Sense

My Rudder, too

My rudder servo has failed, also. HH says they'll send me one when they come in. Currently on back order.

Anybody got a substitute?
Last edited by wgarman; Feb 11, 2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: forgot the word 'rudder'
Feb 11, 2013, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgarman
My rudder servo has failed, also. HH says they'll send me one when they come in. Currently on back order.

Anybody got a substitute?
value hobby---power hd 33 digital 2.9oz $6.00,got one in my plane .,the same umx connector
Feb 11, 2013, 09:38 PM
More Planes Than Sense
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
value hobby---power hd 33 digital 2.9oz $6.00,got one in my plane .,the same umx connector
Thanks!
Feb 12, 2013, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
Hmmm, that 2.9g value hobby servo looks very similar to the 3.5g E-flite one. I wonder if they share anything under the hood. If so, I'd want it for the gears. The weight difference could be the cable, if they're counting it.

Charles
Feb 12, 2013, 07:17 AM
I got my replacement servos yesterday in the mail, my rudder servo went out and used a 3.7G minima servo with the UMX connector soldered on. Working good so far, I am selling a lot of my birds after buying some balsa ships, this one will probably stay as long as she can fly in my backyard.
Feb 12, 2013, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob
Fantastic!

Just be sure on this one to give it not just a usual controls-check functional type pre-flight for your maiden, but also do a good firm physical 'waggle' test, pulling on the landing gear (sometimes not well-glued) on the prop (adapter and or mount sometimes loose), gently pulling outward on rudder (CA hinges sometimes assembled dry, so they pull out in flight), and be prepared to re-glue the rear batt hatch hinge if it pulls loose (the tight fit of the pins in the barrel make it so if you lift up even slightly on the front of the hatch lid, before it gets some natural wear and loosens up a bit, you are accidentally levering the mount away from it's foam mount, so that can come loose)....be sure the wings are well mounted and the screws fit well. If the screws won't fit, lots of prior ideas in the thread for fixing that -

AND a number of people are reporting failing servos?

SO lets see - you basically have to recheck and potentially reassemble the entire plane and replace the servos?

Maybe we need a new acronym for this plane:

the NQQBNF - Not Quite Quite Bind N Fly
Feb 12, 2013, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by texbird
AND a number of people are reporting failing servos?

SO lets see - you basically have to recheck and potentially reassemble the entire plane and replace the servos?

Maybe we need a new acronym for this plane:

the NQQBNF - Not Quite Quite Bind N Fly
Yup... but totally, completely worth it IMHO. It's a fffffantastic flier!
Feb 12, 2013, 01:11 PM
Diverted by planks
Hey, I juys' fixes um, I dasn't make um....

(It's true that's way too long a checklist for any plane, much less a Horizon offering. Sorry. But as stated, it is well worth it. Of course, if you want a 3D plane which has perfect quality, easy assembly, and workmanship every bit as good as a Graupner/Multiplex right out of the box, then buy the new Visionaire. It's astounding.)
Feb 12, 2013, 02:47 PM
What is the size of the prop nut? Is it metric?

Quick Reply