Feb 10, 2013, 08:11 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Thread OP
Hi guys, What do you do when the stack of stator plates expand on one side?
I mean is what do you use to glue them back in shape, I tried to rub CA on and clamp in a vise but no luck. Is it toast?
Tom
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2013, 08:16 AM
Life begins at transition
Thin epoxy, line the vice in saran wrap, and leave for 24hrs.

disclaimer: This only has a 50% success rate for me so far! Out of the two I damaged trying to get them off a stator holder, I scraped one altogether.
Feb 10, 2013, 12:28 PM
Greediest Suer
I'm surprised that the CA didn't work. Perhaps it was the rubbing? I Use thin CA on one side of one tooth at a time and over apply it to make sure it wicks between the plates, then immediately clamp it with that tooth level so the excess CA puddles on it. It dries slowly using this method so a kicker would help save time. !00% success rate so far for me, but I've only done a few so that doesn't mean much.
Feb 10, 2013, 01:14 PM
Inspiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero
Hi guys, What do you do when the stack of stator plates expand on one side?
I mean is what do you use to glue them back in shape, I tried to rub CA on and clamp in a vise but no luck. Is it toast?
Tom
You need to make sure these laminations can be put back in shape first, by pressing and adjusting without any glue applied yet. Then use some instant-dry glue to fix these laminatons, apply the glue, then use clamps to hold the laminations. I actually assembled a stator successfully, from a few blocks of laminations.
Feb 14, 2013, 08:06 AM
Suspended Account
I clamp damaged stators flat and bake them in the oven.
Feb 15, 2013, 08:13 AM
Thread OP
That rings a bell, I used long screws against the stator lams with coins as washers then heated it in the counter top oven. I suppose the procedure would reverse the warpage? I'll C'clamp it between two steel plates and bake it. Will report back !
Apr 05, 2013, 03:58 PM
Thread OP
Here you go guys, thanks to all that advised me!
Tom J.
Apr 13, 2013, 09:18 PM
Thread OP

Here you go guys! 10.8 HP!
Apr 14, 2013, 06:01 AM
Jack
Looking good!

What is the prop on that? And do you have final weight on the rewound motor? I always consider the Watts per gram to be the real measure of quality.

And that was about 15 seconds? How was the temp at the end of the run?

Jack
Apr 14, 2013, 02:45 PM
Thread OP
Hi Jack, it is a 10 x 17 from Marcus Koch in Germany. The motor weighs 1lb-1.5oz/496.11gr
equals 16 watts per gram?
Last edited by ApexAero; Apr 14, 2013 at 02:55 PM.
Apr 14, 2013, 04:54 PM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero
Hi Jack, it is a 10 x 17 from Marcus Koch in Germany. The motor weighs 1lb-1.5oz/496.11gr
equals 16 watts per gram?
As you probably know, we consider average quality motor to be able to handle a continuous input power of 3 Watts per gram. So your motor is doing much better than that.

As you test it and use it more and check for heat you'll probably find that good for 7-8 Watts per gram or so continuous and that is very good.

You''re going to use it in a short duration/full throttle motor run event if I remember right. That means you can load it up to the point where it survives for the required duration.

If you are in serious competition events you can count on the fact that there will be someone there that wants to win bad enough to be perfectly willing to take a motor right to the limit to do it.

That is a nice looking prop and spinner, I don't even want to think about the coset or that I need anything like that on anything I fly. Are those sold by someone? Or just custom made?

Jack
Apr 15, 2013, 08:13 AM
Thread OP
3 watts per gram? Holy Cow! I'm beside myself! I had a poor start with the HV160, the factory preset PWM was on 'out-runner mode' and had some issues not going to full power on full stick, Gerben was keen enough to recognize it and suggested using 16Hz explaining the controller was reading half what it should have on the 4Hz out-runner mode , it woke up!
The prop,spinner, yoke and hollow titanium motor shaft are produced by friends in the F3S Speed community of Germany and mfg on order. I could probably get more out of the motor and take it to it's limits but I can't afford the 900 euro for a YGE 300 amp ESC! 18700 rpm is right at 317 mph pitch speed minus 20% put me in the 250mph range, now I'm worried about the torque! It is so strong it twists the 14mm delrin test stand about 15 degrees at the head, takes most of my strength to do that by hand.....
Apr 15, 2013, 08:25 AM
Jack
Yep, 16 Watts per gram it should have been. And that is even better!

Sounds like you have good access to the best hands and minds for speed.

As I got started on re-winding I spent a lot of time browsing Dr. Okon's old croco pages on the building and re-winding motors and using his calculators and stuff. His the newer powercroco pages are interesting enough and google translates OK too.

I doubt that I'll ever get around to speed motors or speed flying. For my skills, it takes too long to find all the pieces when I fly too fast!

Jack
Jul 12, 2013, 06:01 AM
Thread OP
Hi guys,
Well I've done it again! Being a lefty I started winding a 12n8p 4020 abcabc/abcabc

I've wound the first three ccw, do I terminate the same as this or is it reversed to the image? I have start A,B,C wound abc, would the termination of the ABC pic work for the abc pic below etc? I think I,m second guessing myself
Last edited by ApexAero; Jul 12, 2013 at 06:19 AM.

Quick Reply