Chris Craft 63' Motor Yacht scratch build in UK - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Nov 05, 2012, 08:43 PM
Retired for now
Since Old Water Bucket has stopped working on his 63 I'll switch to watching this one. Seems that Confused really isn't judging from the great start he's made. You made a good decision to get the MACK setup for your power. You won't be dissapointed. As for the fittings set is it a newly made set or an old set that you purchased? Wondering if somebody had started to make the set again which would be great for the 63 fans. Building the boat from scratch isn't as difficult as making all those fittings.
Anyway it's great to see another 63 on the ways and as soon as it goes in the water for sea trials we can add your name and the boat to the illustrious list of 63 builders if you won't mind. Pete
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2012, 12:12 PM
Registered User
E-Challenged's Avatar
I have been having strange stirrings about getting my old 63 foot motor yacht down from the top of the book case, dusting it off, and doing a partial refurb including changing outmoded RC and power system stuff, and refinishing the hull, etc. etc. I also have an unbuilt kit with fittings, in the shed, that I should peddle.

The 63' FMY is a grand sight on the pond especially at dusk with cabin and deck lights on and 50's music playing.
Nov 06, 2012, 12:19 PM
Registered User
Tim B.'s Avatar
That looks like a Very nice old model ...

Looks like the TV is ON !
Nov 06, 2012, 05:50 PM
Retired for now
I remember that boat with the cool animations on board. By all means get it down and cleaned up at least. Then yu'll have to go run it in the water and you can take a neat video and post it for us. Sounds good to me. Pete
Nov 07, 2012, 12:50 PM
Registered User
Thanks Pete.
Still waiting for MACK power package to arrive. Even before Sandy it took 9 days to get from Long Branch NJ to New York and now is still sitting in UK customs. Hope to see it soon.
Fittings set (see attached pics) were made new by Gary Barnes (www.garysboatyard.com) and cost $85. An idulgence but worth it as I could never have made them all from scratch.
Currently just finishing skinning and planking the hull and will post something on that messy experience shortly.
Meanwhile, thanks for wanting to add me to the list of 63-footers. May be a long time before sea trials but hopefully next Spring.



Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale
Since Old Water Bucket has stopped working on his 63 I'll switch to watching this one. Seems that Confused really isn't judging from the great start he's made. You made a good decision to get the MACK setup for your power. You won't be dissapointed. As for the fittings set is it a newly made set or an old set that you purchased? Wondering if somebody had started to make the set again which would be great for the 63 fans. Building the boat from scratch isn't as difficult as making all those fittings.
Anyway it's great to see another 63 on the ways and as soon as it goes in the water for sea trials we can add your name and the boat to the illustrious list of 63 builders if you won't mind. Pete
Nov 07, 2012, 12:54 PM
Registered User
Tim B.'s Avatar
Those fittings look great !

A question, Gary's site shows these fittings are pewter, how is it they have this gold/brassy color ?

Tim.
Nov 07, 2012, 12:55 PM
Registered User
I've seen your 63' somewhere before - Google Images? and marvelled at your figures and 'home comforts' on deck. Did you make these or were they bought? I haven't even started looking for 1/20 scale figures. Do they exist?



Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
I have been having strange stirrings about getting my old 63 foot motor yacht down from the top of the book case, dusting it off, and doing a partial refurb including changing outmoded RC and power system stuff, and refinishing the hull, etc. etc. I also have an unbuilt kit with fittings, in the shed, that I should peddle.

The 63' FMY is a grand sight on the pond especially at dusk with cabin and deck lights on and 50's music playing.
Nov 07, 2012, 01:00 PM
Registered User
They are just silver. I think it's our halogen downlighters that give the goldy impression in my photo. The pic of the whole set is truer to life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B.
Those fittings look great !

A question, Gary's site shows these fittings are pewter, how is it they have this gold/brassy color ?

Tim.
Nov 09, 2012, 11:27 AM
Registered User
Tim B.'s Avatar

?


Hello all, in the top of this pic. on the right, there are 30 or so little rectangular pieces, each with a hole ...

What are these for ?
Last edited by Tim B.; Jul 25, 2016 at 11:59 AM.
Nov 09, 2012, 11:34 AM
Registered User
Stanchion bases perhaps?
Nov 09, 2012, 01:49 PM
Retired for now
Yes they are the bases for the stanchions that go on the deck along both sides of the boat. The stanchions or the poles that hold the railings up are inserted into these bases and holes drilled under the railings but not all the way through.
Nov 09, 2012, 01:50 PM
Registered User
Tim B.'s Avatar
Thank You Sir !
Nov 09, 2012, 04:00 PM
P31
P31
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused UK
They are just silver. I think it's our halogen downlighters that give the goldy impression in my photo. The pic of the whole set is truer to life.
Tim how long did it take you to receive your fitting"s from Gary. He does'nt answer my Email, and I ordered a week ago. I am only about 700 miles from him
Gary
Nov 09, 2012, 04:26 PM
Registered User
Tim B.'s Avatar
The post office is using donkeys now in some regions, may be a bit slow.

No emailo respondo ?

Maybe he is out of town ( Vegas ) and cant respond ?
Nov 09, 2012, 05:28 PM
P31
P31
Registered User
Maybe today


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Plans and Patterns for Sterling Chris Craft 63' Motor Yacht Kit B-11M iamplanecrazy2 Boats (FS/W) 20 Jun 30, 2017 07:54 PM
Off Site Sterling Chris Craft 63' Motor Yacht w/Fittings Kit papower Boats (FS/W) 3 Jan 24, 2012 01:47 PM
For Sale Built Sterling 63' Chris Craft Motor yacht Hull and plan set. Skipper AM299 Boats (FS/W) 1 Mar 05, 2011 08:23 AM
Question 63' Chris Craft Motor Yacht Kirchnerbrn Scale Boats 2 Jun 18, 2008 05:42 PM
For Sale Vintage Sterling Chris Craft 63' motor yacht model kit lefidler Boats (FS/W) 0 Jun 09, 2007 12:45 PM