Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Oct 22, 2012, 09:59 PM
DLG addict.
electrich's Avatar
Question

Sony PS3 crash


My kids Sony PS3 is about 2 years old and just "crashed". Does anyone here know anything about these things? I tried to "restart" but it keeps crashing after it works for a day or two. I see some people put a new hard drive in them for about 120 bucks. Seeing a new system is about 300 I wonder if I should just go with a whole new set up. Thoughts, advice, opinions, help?

Rich
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2012, 11:20 PM
Whirly Bird Fanatic
TossinHoss's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich
My kids Sony PS3 is about 2 years old and just "crashed". Does anyone here know anything about these things? I tried to "restart" but it keeps crashing after it works for a day or two. I see some people put a new hard drive in them for about 120 bucks. Seeing a new system is about 300 I wonder if I should just go with a whole new set up. Thoughts, advice, opinions, help?

Rich
If its just the hard drive, you can replace it pretty easy. You need a new drive 320 gig plenty big and cheap at Microcenter. You also need a USB drive to be able to format the drive and a USB case to put the drive in while you format it. I have one you can borrow. The directions are actually on the PS3 website. I changed mine from 80 to a 320 a couple years ago.
Oct 23, 2012, 07:30 AM
Registered User
LannyT2's Avatar
Did it fly good before the crash? Did you get any video of the crash?
Oct 23, 2012, 01:20 PM
Whirly Bird Fanatic
TossinHoss's Avatar
Actually the thumb drive would be used to copy saved data from the existing drive. That said, you put a new drive in and all your old data is gone unless you have backed it up to another drive (thumb drive) and restored/imported it back in. Did you try to see if PS3 has a utility to try and resolve the issue and maybe restore back to original...I think it has.
Oct 23, 2012, 06:05 PM
DLG addict.
electrich's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TossinHoss
Actually the thumb drive would be used to copy saved data from the existing drive. That said, you put a new drive in and all your old data is gone unless you have backed it up to another drive (thumb drive) and restored/imported it back in. Did you try to see if PS3 has a utility to try and resolve the issue and maybe restore back to original...I think it has.
It's been restored about 5 times. After each time it works progressively shorter. Now it's pretty much toast. Guess ill get the new hard drive so the kids can stream Netflix.
Oct 23, 2012, 06:14 PM
Registered User
If you just need Netflix and such, you can grab a Roku box - they should be about $70 or so...
Oct 23, 2012, 06:39 PM
DLG addict.
electrich's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpatter
If you just need Netflix and such, you can grab a Roku box - they should be about $70 or so...
I saw those. I found a new hard drive on amazon for 70 bucks. Looks like its the fix that I need.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Sony PS3 Playstation 3, games, extras! H0ndaJunkie Non R/C Items (FS/W) 2 Mar 12, 2007 10:22 PM