Oct 31, 2012, 06:15 PM
Thread OP
Well ,for me work has slowed while I "patiently" wait for parts to arrive. Right, it is not one of my virtues. After considerable thought and being kept indoors by the nasty ol' hurricane, I decided to attemp to build the tail wheel assly as drawn. 2 days later, here's pics of my result. I painted it silver, looks terrible, I need some light grey or something. \i'll resand and refinish.
I also got the control arms done, machined them from steel (aluminum stock depleted). Doug B
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2012, 03:20 AM
Air photo over Auckland N.Z. Taken from a Spitfire. (It's my desktop now)
URL to video of the flight from the navigators helmet.
Flying DH Mosquito KA114. (16 min 21 sec)

Plenty of others available around this video.
Nov 01, 2012, 06:57 PM
Thread OP
Hi KIWINB: Very cool video, I've watched about 20 different ones I think now. Its not called "the wooden wonder" for nothing.
The parts I've been waiting for all arrived today, everything looks good to complete an test all three LG sets over the weekend.
170 oz servos for retracts, 4mm ball links and hd aluminum servo arms. the 3rd set of 5" wheels came too.
Should be some showable progress by Monday. Doug B
Nov 02, 2012, 10:09 AM
Sheeting complete on left side of fuselage. Now for rough sanding before removing from board and separating the hatch.

Looks like a nuclear submarine to me.

Ken
Nov 02, 2012, 11:51 AM
Thread OP
Only HALF of one!! It will sink as is! Looks great Ken. Paul informed me he has started on his fuselage too. Everyone is moving along well. Doug B
Nov 02, 2012, 12:25 PM
This is absolutely great effort on all your parts. I have a set of BT plans and laser cut/fiberglass Holman parts for this model, which I soon expect to be building. The Mosquito is my favorite aircraft and I have been waiting to ensure I have the skill to do it justice. Your efforts are inspiring me to get it started sooner rather than later, especially as I have a set of Unitract retracts for it as well (not to mention the fiberglass fuselage my wife bought me one year as a Christmas present). Pretty much enough for almost 2 acft, a basic model with fixed gear to practice with, and then a tricked out one with retracts to really enjoy. Will definitely keep paying attention here for any hints and helps for my eventual build...Pete M
Nov 02, 2012, 03:18 PM
Mosquito in the half shell.
Nov 04, 2012, 02:16 PM
I am planning to use the completed half to align the second half. Alignment of the 2 battery/wing tube sections is critical. I will glue all the formers, and then separate the two halves, pin the second half down to my build board and a then sheet. Good in theory, we'll see how it goes.

Ken
Nov 04, 2012, 05:57 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Brave man! I would just build the second half onto the first - I've seen the distortion my sheeting can cause!
Nov 04, 2012, 10:52 PM
Thread OP
Looks great Ken. I'm sure you'll get it all perfect, as usual!! I had a bad couple of days with some kind of a bug or something.
Finall got to machine the 3/16 stepped to 4mm LG control rods for all 3 planes, along with the servo mounts for LG. I have the second servo mounted into my wing, tests say it works Ok, its a tricky fit with no extra room!
Even had to reverse the pivot screw on the control rod side to get 1/32" clearance for the rod to pass.
I thought I'd put up a couple of pics of this stuff along with soe supplies for the build. Ken and I are going to use Bluebird 706MG servos for most apps. They are 75oz on 6v. We are all using the Turnigy Tz85a 6s ESC's, but will be using separate becs with their own 2s battery. I chose the Turnigy 7-15 bec which will run on 2/3s. I'll use 2s/1800/20c Zippy Flightmax.
I'll be running the Turnigy OrangeX 9 chan reciever in mine.
I have mudflaps curing now to hold the curve. Thats it for now. Doug B
Nov 05, 2012, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings
Brave man! I would just build the second half onto the first - I've seen the distortion my sheeting can cause!
Thanks for the observation. When I pulled the first half off the flat building board, nothing moved, so I am assuming the same will be the case with the 2nd half. I like having what I am working on held down and solid so I can sheet and sand without having to build a cradle to hold the other rounded half.

We'll see how it turns out.

Ken
Nov 05, 2012, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
H iKen: Since I saw 1/2 come off the board and how you where working towards the second half, I have every confidence in your ability to keep both parallel and the same!!
I will be using the same techniques on my fuelage.
I now have he mudflaps installed, after a refit, they needed some mods to fit under the wheels.
I'll now get back to the flap/ aileron work. If it works, all the hinging/ rods will be inside. KISS is my major goal here. Progress soon I hope. Doug B
Nov 06, 2012, 12:12 PM
Separation has happened. Just a note to be aware of. When I separated the two halves, the second half did not line up exactly with the side view on the plan (the lower fuselage view showing the stick outline). I rechecked the 2nd side against the first and they match exactly. I don't think the 2 fuselage side views match exactly. A few more details to finish and then sheeting can commence.

Ken
Nov 06, 2012, 04:11 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Well done Ken! Speed and accuracy too... impressive!
Nov 07, 2012, 02:24 AM
Really nice, so its a good job you built the second half directly off the first, if you had used the plan it would have been a disaster

Lovely work looking forward to more updates

Quick Reply