This thread is privately moderated by JCMorgan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 22, 2012, 07:37 AM
I always tell her i could go out drinking with my brothers or invest in planes to fly with my son, works like a charm.
Oct 22, 2012, 08:13 AM
I have found that I can spend stupendous quantities of money both on my RC stuff and on my car restoration stuff as long as I keep everything stored in big blue plastic storage bins. Those bins seem to have a tranquilizing effect on women.
Oct 22, 2012, 08:22 AM
Registered Aircraft Crasher
Hopefully we don't hear about a guys remains being found in big blue plastic storage bins!
Oct 22, 2012, 08:47 AM
Ditto! Better RC than naked internet stuff, hookers, or drinikin etc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koo29
I'm probably the only one suggesting this, but be completely honest with her. Maybe tell her that from now on, you will inform her of all purchases you make and let her know why you "need" that stuff. Also tell her that instead of spending your money on super expensive hobbies like real planes or cars, you spend it on RC. She is most likely maddest about the fact that you haven't told her about the spending, not the spending itself.
Oct 22, 2012, 10:09 AM
I buy planes.. she buys shoes...

it works for both of us...
Oct 22, 2012, 10:11 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
"What to tell the wife "

"I'll be needing more room.
Get OUT!!!"
Oct 22, 2012, 10:14 AM
My husband is honest with me, he walks in the door and tells me that we owe Mike $$ and if I would make sure he gets it or he asks me to go the the local hobby shop and pick up the parts. If it is a large purchase, he asks if we have the funds available. My husband and 3 kids all fly. I spend many of my mornings and weekends watching them at the field. I bring my camera and get lots of photos. I think those are the main family photos we have.
Oct 22, 2012, 10:50 AM
Hey, gold prices are high right now! so i hocked some rings! lol
Oct 22, 2012, 11:23 AM
Flying every chance I get!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davezagwyn
I always tell her i could go out drinking with my brothers or invest in planes to fly with my son, works like a charm.
I used to only spend my money on my $6+ pack a day smoking habit and weekly trip to the corner bar. That was about $100 a week. I did go a little crazy this summer and overspend to get started with everything, but I haven't had a cigarette in over 4 months and it has been about 2 since I've been to the bar. Almost every day I am flying, driving, building, fixing or launching something with my kids. My wife can't argue with that.

Now that I have a good base of tools and parts, I have started using the layaway plans offered by the LHS. I put $30 to $60 down a week, depending on what I am buying and if I need other parts. I try and spread each purchase over a month. In 2 weeks I'll have my DS6i.
Oct 22, 2012, 11:24 AM
-insert witty saying here-
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4wd
My wife loves me and supports me and all my hobbies (this is not the only, or the cheapest one).

If you ask me, you need to stop hiding crap from your wife. I bet she's more mad that you lied and hid money, rather than just telling her. If she's mad cause your spending $$ on a hobby, then its time to find a new wife. Or give up on the hobby.

Thank you,...

FWIW, none of the hobby money in my household comes out of our salaries, I earn mine by doing odd jobs, r/c work and estate sales, printing plans, etc. When I restored my 71 Mach 1, I paid for that by parting out a couple rusty Mustangs on eBay. She earns her knitting money by cleaning a couple offices after our 3 yr old goes to bed.

... or I could just watch football and be in the "hiding stuff from my wife" crowd...
Last edited by Hemikiller; Oct 22, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
Oct 22, 2012, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorgan
The wife found the credit card bill for the card I use for this hobby. To say she is mad is the understatement of the year. It was ok when she was mad enough not to talk to me, but now that she is beyond that, I'm not hearing the end of it. I told her to blame you guys for selling such wonderful things at such good prices. She doesn't see the logic in that.
So, how do you guys keep the wife calm when packages are showing up on your doorstep just about every day?
You send it to the girlfriends house. duhhhhh . The biggest thing about the hobby and finances is to be honest with your spouse but also honest with yourself.
Last edited by AeroTripleThreat; Oct 22, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Oct 22, 2012, 01:03 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
In my work I occasionally have site visits and the like, so I turn in mileage for reimbursement. Those mileage checks come to my desk rather than direct deposit, they get cashed and become part of my stash. Originally it was for buying birthday and christmas presents so they wouldn't show on the statement and ruin surprises. Since the flying bug has bitten me that's what it's for.

A few years ago she was looking for a pen in my desk or something and ran across the cash stash. She asks me what it is, I say that's my cash stash. She cocks an eyebrow and says "You been pimpin?" and laughs. I chuckle and explain about the mileage, since if it was pimpin' it'd be a bigger stash.

Now it's a known thing that I have a cash stash and that's where a lot of my RC hobby comes from. She has mad money as well, she often has to pay her work credit card off herself and get reimbursed, and that money often goes into her own mad money stash, and I'm glad of it.

Neither of us are too crazy, she bought a digital piano and spends time and money for private lessons. I buy RC stuff. Little stuff like glue and servos and smaller costs we just absorb on the debit, bigger stuff comes out of my stash. And we're getting used to where in the yearly cycle I'll go a little nuts (WRAM show, NEAT Fair, Black Friday, Lebanon swap).

We're both pretty conservative and like to plan ahead and budget so we don't go spending crazy, so it's not an issue. There are minor secrets but they're known secrets if you will.
Oct 22, 2012, 01:13 PM
Garage Foamologist...
My wife generally doesn't care what I order or what I'm doing down in the dungeon, as long as she is informed of the purchase before it's delivered then I'm in the clear. Just be sure to NEVER b$*@h about her spending and for heaven sakes don't forget to play with jr....and go to ALL family affairs to keep her happy....and wash the dog.....and maybe even push that vacuum around once in a while.
Oct 22, 2012, 01:55 PM
Well guys, I find it amusing that I am not the only one out there with WIFE PROBLEMS!!! I am very fortunant that we do well for ourselves. She has her account and I have mine. When we first got married she said that she did not want a joint account. This has been both a blessing and the topic of many conversations. I also work out of town and maintian 2 residences, one for work where ever I am and one where we call home. I have alot of stuff sent to the working resedence! SO good luck with your wives, I have mine where I want her for the time being.

She still wonders how a 35% giant scale can cost about the same as the trainer she got me for Cristmas. She says more people should go giant sence its not that much more
Oct 22, 2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstrickjr
Well guys, I find it amusing that I am not the only one out there with WIFE PROBLEMS!!! I am very fortunant that we do well for ourselves. She has her account and I have mine. When we first got married she said that she did not want a joint account. This has been both a blessing and the topic of many conversations. I also work out of town and maintian 2 residences, one for work where ever I am and one where we call home. I have alot of stuff sent to the working resedence! SO good luck with your wives, I have mine where I want her for the time being.

She still wonders how a 35% giant scale can cost about the same as the trainer she got me for Cristmas. She says more people should go giant sence its not that much more
That is a good one.. My wife stopped believing I was the luckiest guy in the world with raffles after a while.

Quick Reply